Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

They still play that Northside ad on the radio, it must be about 30 years old and its far from the great great shopping centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

The VHI ads make me want to bang my head on the tv, HARD!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Can I just say that I love the Spar ad, even if the old guy at the start looks

like, is G Hook.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I really wanted to like this ad but it is terrible. Serious cringe.

I don't understand why they got the young Amy Huberman to star in the ad but then created a really dated ad that is far more suited to an older star. Substitute an older actress in and it may not have been so cringe - Alison Doody or Olivia Tracey.

Surely Newbridge Silver do cocktail accessories. It would have been better to have Amy mixing up a few cocktails for her friends.

A nice flattering outfit would have been better than that shapeless frock too.

All in all I think it was a badly misjudged ad.

Really, really HATE that ad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

"I ham... a moron!"

Arghhhhh. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Borderfox wrote: »
    They still play that Northside ad on the radio, it must be about 30 years old and its far from the great great shopping centre

"Northside, (boing!)"

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I have probably said it before, but the ads with Mario Rosenstock totally put me off whatever it is he is advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

LynnGrace wrote: »
    I have probably said it before, but the ads with Mario Rosenstock totally put me off whatever it is he is advertising.
    I actually quite like the gym nut one ("spot me Bren!"), but the others are just awful.

It's more Aviva than him though - they are doing the same with Paul Whitehouse from Harry Enfield/The Fast Show (who Johnny Depp regards as the best actor in the world as a piece of trivia, and who is typically hilarious) and those are if anything probably worse.

This is what happens when companies hire comedians and then work against their strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Billy86 wrote: »
    I actually quite like the gym nut one ("spot me Bren!"), but the others are just awful.

That gym nut one is a classic. I p155ed myself laughing when I saw the "artwork" with the lion. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

The Vodafone/Spotify one is atrocious.

Could they not have got someone who can dance to act in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

ivytwine wrote: »
    The part where she laughs makes me cringe every time. It's so fake.

I like Amy, but this ad makes me embarrassed for her!

Went to the cinema this weekend and last - both times the Newbridge silver ad was shown.

It's even more mortifying on the big screen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

It has gotten to the stage that I change channel everytime the "Emma! Emma?" ad comes on. If you are an advertising exec and you are reading this and you don't want me watching your channel, continue showing this advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

syklops wrote: »
    It has gotten to the stage that I change channel everytime the "Emma! Emma?" ad comes on. If you are an advertising exec and you are reading this and you don't want me watching your channel, continue showing this advert.

I was thinking the exact same thing.
    I was watching 'City Slickers' the other night, A film about a guy who's stressing out because he's just turned 39.
    He goes into work and his boss tells him that his work is old and stale, (he's in radio advertising), and that people are changing channel when listening to his adverts, his job is to make them stay on the channel. He gets suspended. - I wish life imitated art in this instance.

Found it, but really bad quality

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Donal! Donal! Donal! is worse than Emma, Emma, Emma...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Thargor wrote: »
    Donal! Donal! Donal! is worse than Emma, Emma, Emma...

The Emma one grinds my gears more. I can't explain why.

I don't know why, and it's a bit of a weird one, but i just find her voice irritating.
    The Sky advert

you can watch mor'
    nan can gossip mor'
    kids can play mor'

(Tries to whisper/breathe it out)
    *Sky* belieeeve in better.

The way her voice changes from the middle of the ad, to the part at the end, where she's trying to sound like disney fairy or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

syklops wrote: »
    The Emma one grinds my gears more. I can't explain why.

Maybe tis the way he says her name....
    "Emmawwwhhh"?

I find both of them equally hateworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Being from the area, this ad drives me crazy!

Hunt.ie office crap ad on the radio. They should have the paperclips inserted under the nails

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »
    "Northside, (boing!)"

Lol

Someone mentioned it before, but now it's on during every single ad breas (It seems like twice in some breaks). The shít Tesco advert where they make a young couple look older, and Rod Stewart singing forever young.
    It didn't really bother me initially, but now it's on so often i despise it.
    The couple don't even look old either, when they're supposed to, so it just looks like random families.

The KFC Christmas advert. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The Allianze "aah" ad campaign ad is doing my head in!

When I'm watching TV I don't want to be assaulted by the death shrieks of women.
    (That's a whole separate hobby!)

Very annoying ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah that ad is annoying. Although, confession time, I find the Asian woman screaming to be...just great, actually. No, no, it's the music. There was a Coke ad with the same tune a few years ago and I actually remember when it stopped showing up on TV because it had driven me mental. Catchy in the worst sense possible.

This isn't a matter of DESPISING the ad, as such, although it is an annual irritant, but the little girl in the Corn Flakes ad must be about 45 years old at this stage (and married to the guy from the Coke ad with the trucks coming through some poxy snow-blown backwater). And I presume I'm not alone in NOT being particularly sentimental about these old ads that show up year after year. (As an aside, I love Christmas, so this isn't a Scrooge thing. It's a "Budweiser horses don't make Budweiser less ****" thing).

Meteor have outdone themselves as always. Not so much for the ad, which is so middle of the road it would need crack wh0res in it to be described as vanilla. But that MUSIC! It's not Christmas music, even though it's an otherwise Christmassy ad, it's some Mexican kid roaring his head off. Once again, Meteor, punch yourselves in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Its a child singing something to his mother.

They & Vodafone are going out of their way to not reflect much "Christmas" in their Christmas campaigns.

A lot of supposedly christmas ads are 1 step away from wishing us a "happy holiday season".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

This isn't a matter of DESPISING the ad, as such, although it is an annual irritant, but the little girl in the Corn Flakes ad must be about 45 years old at this stage (and married to the guy from the Coke ad with the trucks coming through some poxy snow-blown backwater). And I presume I'm not alone in NOT being particularly sentimental about these old ads that show up year after year. (As an aside, I love Christmas, so this isn't a Scrooge thing. It's a "Budweiser horses don't make Budweiser less ****" thing).

The girl from the Cornflakes ad got married there the other week!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

ivytwine wrote: »
    The girl from the Cornflakes ad got married there the other week!

Seriously? Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Allyall wrote: »
    Someone mentioned it before, but now it's on during every single ad breas (It seems like twice in some breaks). The shít Tesco advert where they make a young couple look older, and Rod Stewart singing forever young.
    It didn't really bother me initially, but now it's on so often i despise it.
    The couple don't even look old either, when they're supposed to, so it just looks like random families.

It looks like a bunch of TV students who failed their makeup course did the ageing effect for the ad.

Awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This isn't a matter of DESPISING the ad, as such, although it is an annual irritant, but the little girl in the Corn Flakes ad must be about 45 years old at this stage (and married to the guy from the Coke ad with the trucks coming through some poxy snow-blown backwater).
    Took a quick peak on Google - apparently the kid was played by twins, one of whom is now a car sales rep and the other of which is a nurse who got married recently. They'd both be pushing up towards 30 is my guess, looking reasonably dayshent. Not sure if it was one of them or both, but they were also in the film 'Baby on Board' in the early 90s (with Judge Reinhold, aka Eddie Murphy's sidekick from Beverley Hills Cop) and had a tiny role in that Mean Girls film about a decade back.

http://www.eurocanadianoutfitters.com/Holly___Alex_1_small.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement