Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One that's ticking me off right now is for some hotel finder service (trivono or something like that). It has some woman writhing around on a bed (sex sells), spouting some crap about how she has to find just the right hotel for her (empowerment sells). The music is (of course) that plinky-plinky rubbish that's in fashion these days.

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out just who this ad is targeting. It's like they're ticking some boxes to match what some drunk focus group brainstormed in half an hour. A bad concept, poorly executed.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

bnt wrote: »
    One that's ticking me off right now is for some hotel finder service (trivono or something like that). It has some woman writhing around on a bed (sex sells), spouting some crap about how she has to find just the right hotel for her (empowerment sells). The music is (of course) that plinky-plinky rubbish that's in fashion these days.

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out just who this ad is targeting. It's like they're ticking some boxes to match what some drunk focus group brainstormed in half an hour. A bad concept, poorly executed.
    I always think at the end they just stop short of getting her to say "Im just a woman, can you do it for me? Tee-hee-hee!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

The dubbed ad with the kid who's telling the story of how his parents bought the house. Bank loan ad or something.
    "This is my house. I live besdie john. Mammy and daddy used to live with the grandparents but they didnt like that. Then mammmy got a letter with YES written on it and started saying YES YES YES alot"....oh f*ck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

bnt wrote: »

Trivago.

The ad is a mess. My guess the message is; if you are a young couple in love, your girlfriend wants to go on trips to Vienna and Verona every other week, and if you love her, you'll give her what she wants...then go on to Trivago's website and get spending! But it must be a 4* hotel or better, with a balcony view of the city - she won't tolerate some cheap and cheerful B & B!

Horrible message, horrible song that doesn't sit right on an ad for a travel agency, hate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

KungPao wrote: »
    Trivago.
    Horrible message, horrible song that doesn't sit right on an ad for a travel agency, hate it!
    That's the one. Searching this thread, I see I'm far from the first person whose goat has been well and truly gotten by this company's ads. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

The new Low-Low ad is already getting on my tits.

In a nutshell, "hipster girl likes to get f*cked, ergo: eat low-low".

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

the chicken one where the father does a rap and the doe-bar he's married to cracks up with the "gerry, your in great form today"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

As having to wear what are essentially nappies for a week a month wasn't humiliating enough, Always have decided to make the connection explicit with their new ad, which shows a woman sleeping and saying she can jiggle around as much as she likes with their all-night protection. To the tune of Brahms Lullaby.

I'm 100% sure Pampers did the same ad for their Pull-Ups a couple of years back. So it's official, menstruating women are the same as fecking toddlers :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Kiev-en.

Do fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Are I Mad

The Motivation ad. Even though she has slowed her speach down they still can't line up the voice over properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

What do ye think is the absolute worst add on right now? For me it's no contest: the Tesco mobile ad with the woman conducting an orchestra and acting like a martyr over having to do the most routine, everyday perfectly simple ****.

I mean, I already hate any ad that patronizes "mums" with this nonsense. But apart from this one having the most smug look on her face (oh she's managing, because of course she's a conductor, geddit?) and the annoying music and the obligatory stupid man with his flippin buggy (typical, eh? Tsch!) and all the other fuxkwipes in the ad, the worst thing is: what the **** does ANY of that have to do with what mobile network you have? Normally that sort of "mums are great" **** is saved for things like baby formula. But this is such a by the numbers pain in the taint of an ad, it actually could just be for any product AT ALL that's currently on the market.

I wish pain and suffering on everyone involved in that ad.

We hear you!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Temaz wrote: »
    UPC lady is back with her "modern family"

What?

Wha!?!?!?!

Advertisers like to reinforce a middle class ideal that does not actually exist through adverts such as this because it sells. About 70% of the TV ads on RTE at the moment tend to be focused around a semi-professional type couple with a young family residing in a decent sized house (in a nice area) with that is decorated in a clean, minimalistic style and life in general is all so very simple. Basically, they attempt to plant an aspiration in the general public to have and live out this sort of lifestyle - and if you don't, or can't afford it, then you are a social outcast.

A fairly simplistic overview on this on Wikipedia, but I am sure there are more indepth sociological/psychological research papers done on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_in_advertising

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Fcucking kids in Petit Filous Milkshake advert.. Everything about it is so horribly staged... Nothing remotely natural about it. From the girl talking, to th kid laughing at the end - makes me want to boot the TV screen..

:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    The dubbed ad with the kid who's telling the story of how his parents bought the house. Bank loan ad or something.
    "This is my house. I live besdie john. Mammy and daddy used to live with the grandparents but they didnt like that. Then mammmy got a letter with YES written on it and started saying YES YES YES alot"....oh f*ck off.

The Mammy must have read the last page of Ulysses. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

That ad for RTE jr. Foot through telly time.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Advertisers like to reinforce a middle class ideal that does not actually exist through adverts such as this because it sells. About 70% of the TV ads on RTE at the moment tend to be focused around a semi-professional type couple with a young family residing in a decent sized house (in a nice area) with that is decorated in a clean, minimalistic style and life in general is all so very simple. Basically, they attempt to plant an aspiration in the general public to have and live out this sort of lifestyle - and if you don't, or can't afford it, then you are a social outcast.

A fairly simplistic overview on this on Wikipedia, but I am sure there are more indepth sociological/psychological research papers done on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_in_advertising

For some reason your post brought this to mind...

kipVDY6.jpg

"Kirk, crackers are a family food. Happy families. Maybe single people eat crackers, we don't know.
    Frankly, we don't want to know. It's a market we can do without."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Am I the only one who finds the adverts.ie ad to be terrible. It's cheap, annoying and if I ever saw it come on the TV I'd change the channel or leave the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Stupid Cupernol ad with this man in a mini copter getting sad and happy at the state of peoples gardens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The Haribo cinema ad is the worst ad I have ever seen. Nothing more lazy and unoriginal in advertising as adults been dubbed over by kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

The Aviva adverts! Oh Heavens above Rosenstock just annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

kerry4sam wrote: »

I hate the way Irish comedy is always reduced to making fun of either the Dub accent or the culchie accent, thats all they've been able to think of for years now and it is completely nauseating at this stage. We have no proper political satire like they do in the UK either, just sh1tty imitations of the politician in questions accent. That and the odd joke about leaving the immersion on, thats the Irish comedy industry :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

pretty terrible but the Aviva ads on UK television are worse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Naah, that ad is class. The way yer man fancies himself in front of the camera, spraying water from the hose, the way his missus just sits there keeping the head down or diving into the other car, the way he refers to the "attractive package"... :D

And the best bit of all is the "art" that he invested his money in. I know that type of person!!! A couple of years back we were buying a house, and a few that we went to had that type of picture up on the mantlepiece! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

fricatus wrote: »
    A couple of years back we were buying a house, and a few that we went to had that type of picture up on the mantlepiece! :eek:

"Sense-a humour"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

The googlechrome advert is annoying advert. Grrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

The new Low-Low ad is already getting on my tits.

In a nutshell, "hipster girl likes to get f*cked, ergo: eat low-low".

Does anyone know the name of that actress and is it the same one as the girl off the Barry's tea ad about a year ago or even the Axa red line ad at the moment? Where do I find these things out?

Thanks ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

nicelives wrote: »
    Does anyone know the name of that actress and is it the same one as the girl off the Barry's tea ad about a year ago or even the Axa red line ad at the moment? Where do I find these things out?

Thanks ;-)

The Axa and Tea girl are the same person but I THINK this one is different. Hate the Low Low ad as well though. The whole butter/riding connection is lost on me (Flora, or whoever was responsible for that abomination where the kids walk in on their parents hard at it, is guilty of the same thing)

Presume you see some mitigating factor... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Axa Red Line ad annoys me on the TV and the radio with the Chris O'Dowd sound alike!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement