Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Zed Bank wrote: »
    Any ad that has the "silly man doing silly things while smug woman rolls her eyes" stereotype.

It's a trend i've noticed recently and it's doing my head in.

if the roles were reversed there would be hell on wheels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

That's not blinding people with science though. And I've never had any issues like that in Tesco or Dunnes.

I will admit I cant remember specifically the ''blinding with science'' part of this ad campaign. Has it got something to do with forcing us all to use maths tables and a slide rule in combination with a book of price histories *groan* to work out if an offer is sincere? (which was basically my chief complaint)

I stand by my comfort zone which is that at least in Aldi/ Lidl I can trust 90% of the time that a special offer is sincere. This Tesco ''every little helps'' ...''we care about your family'' etc image is really annoying as hell to me when I see how cough medicine for kids etc is 10 times cheaper in Newry compared to Dublin for example. You care about my kids and family yeah right ... dream on Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The ad with some Blonde Woman (I think she's famous) talking to a yoghurt pot in a fcuking horrible accent.
    "It's not you, it's me. I found someone else"
    (I don't know how to write her accent phoenetically :o)

Everytime I hear her say that, I want to throw a shoe at the TV.
    Imagine going out with that accent? :( Ugh....
    I don't even know what the ad is for, I presume yoghurt, or health food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Allyall wrote: »
    The ad with some Blonde Woman (I think she's famous) talking to a yoghurt pot in a fcuking horrible accent.
    (I don't know how to write her accent phoenetically :o)

Everytime I hear her say that, I want to throw a shoe at the TV.
    Imagine going out with that accent? :( Ugh....
    I don't even know what the ad is for, I presume yoghurt, or health food.
    I just saw that ad, I see exactly what you mean. :(

It's nice, that yoghurt, but if I'd seen the ad first, it wouldn't have encouraged me to buy it.

Lidl ad about how simple shopping in Lidl is and how other supermarkets blind people with science. I don't know where she used to shop, but science wouldn't be my strong point and I don't think I've ever been blinded by it in Dunnes or Tesco.

I think that ad is for Aldi.
    Grates on me, every time I see it. I have never been blinded with science in any shop either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

LynnGrace wrote: »
    I think that ad is for Aldi.
    Grates on me, every time I see it. I have never been blinded with science in any shop either.

Reminds me of products that try to buy people with stupid "science" words that dont actually mean anthing, like "fibrology" for hari thickening shampoo or something. Like, they clearly just made it up! Also products (usually beauty) that say thigns like "with added retinol complex XYZ blah blah" - the people buying them dont have a clue what they are buying, they just think it sounds good. They could be putting weed killer on their face before bed.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Reminds me of products that try to buy people with stupid "science" words that dont actually mean anthing, like "fibrology" for hari thickening shampoo or something. Like, they clearly just made it up! Also products (usually beauty) that say thigns like "with added retinol complex XYZ blah blah" - the people buying them dont have a clue what they are buying, they just think it sounds good. They could be putting weed killer on their face before bed.

Must try that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

LynnGrace wrote: »
    I just saw that ad, I see exactly what you mean. :(

It's nice, that yoghurt, but if I'd seen the ad first, it wouldn't have encouraged me to buy it.

Have to say v. disappointed with the yogurt, even though it tastes nice it's not even thick or creamy, the texture is more like a solid cheesecake than what was described in the ad. One more reason to hate the advert other than that horrid accent

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

And their ludicrously puny sample surveys.

"78% of women agreed that our product made them appear slimmer, shinier and less bloated."

(Sample size 45)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The new McDonald's ad. With close ups of people eating different foods while screwing their faces in disgust... foods like honey! cheese! ginger! Yummy, healthy, tasty foods. And then we're shown a guy taking a bite out of a burger with a big grin. Not only an annoying ad but one that discourages eating some wonderful foods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭donegal_man

The Harpic ad where the woman allows the bloke into her house just 'cause he looks like a male stripper and claims to be checking fire alarms. Newspaper headline next day, "Woman beaten and robbed after admitting fake fireman to her home."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Bacchus wrote: »
    The new McDonald's ad. With close ups of people eating different foods while screwing their faces in disgust... foods like honey! cheese! ginger! Yummy, healthy, tasty foods. And then we're shown a guy taking a bite out of a burger with a big grin. Not only an annoying ad but one that discourages eating some wonderful foods.

This advert has had a an extremely negative reaction at my household. Seeing the healthy food is bad and bad food is good message made us wtf....how dare they. I feel like there should be a reason to ban that advert. The only thing I ever saw that made me want to ban it instead of just wanting to change channels to avoid it. Good job McD

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Adverts.ie, full of timewasters

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

The 3 types of advert i despise are the ones where a man is made look stupid (you wouldnt get away with that on women)

Betting company adverts during sporting events - e.g. ray winstone one

and ones which i recently noticed while being at home during the day is the over 50s insurance policies, guilting older people into taking them out to ...leave something for your loved ones, funeral expenses.... no health check ups... Julie Waters, Cilla Black Michael Parkinson ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I can't decide whether she's a bit of a skank or a fine ting (hope Mrs F is not reading this...)

Anyone know who she is?

petronius wrote: »
    ...and ones which i recently noticed while being at home during the day is the over 50s insurance policies, guilting older people into taking them out to ...leave something for your loved ones, funeral expenses.... no health check ups... Julie Waters, Cilla Black Michael Parkinson ....

Ugh... to think that your parents might pick up the phone thinking "don't want to be a burden". It will be my duty and privilege to pay for the funeral when the time comes (hopefully not for a long time of course).

Who is feeding this idea that people should worry about funeral expenses when they're gone? Oh yeah, these predatory companies! Horrible ads! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

fricatus wrote: »
    I can't decide whether she's a bit of a skank or a fine ting (hope Mrs F is not reading this...)

Anyone know who she is?
    Is it Denise Van Outen?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Is it Denise Van Outen?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The Hotels Combined advert:
    WTF is wrong with yer man, getting into such a state over a hotel booking.
    They should be addressing the fact that his asperger's is flaring up again, instead of heading off for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

The Hotels Combined advert:
    WTF is wrong with yer man, getting into such a state over a hotel booking.
    They should be addressing the fact that his asperger's is flaring up again, instead of heading off for the weekend.

Not to mention all the money he's wasted by buying umpteen laptops in his mad search for a few quid off a hotel booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

At least they haven't dubbed it into an "Irish" version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

mmg0305 wrote: »
    At least they haven't dubbed it into an "Irish" version

There was some rule about Irish actors in advertising in the 1980s I don't know if it still exists but it did produce some of the best 80s ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Is it Denise Van Outen?

She looks a lot better in a google mage search.. :D
    Still a rotten accent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

She looks a lot better in a google mage search.. :D
    Still a rotten accent though.

I think back in the day she was known for being a kind of cheeky cockney ladette innit.

I doubt any of the kids today would have a clue who she is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Fiolina wrote: »
    I think back in the day she was known for being a kind of cheeky cockney ladette innit.

I doubt any of the kids today would have a clue who she is now.

She was lovely when I was a teenager, I used to get out of the scratcher just to see her on the big breakfast. Are you sure it's her? I'm staggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

That Opel ad for the 4 wheel drive at the top of the shopping centre with that German model driving and yer man comes over with his finest south county Dublin accent asking her if she needs some help....

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Bacchus wrote: »
    An annoying fake bite, with the most ridiculously over acted pretend chew.... I hate this ad!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭HeyArnold320

The worst "science" word I ever heard on an ad was for face wash. It contained "oxyspheres"...
    You mean bubbles??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

All SMA ads. My love has no beginning , my love has no bloody end. I want to put my fist through the TV when it comes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The new iPhone ads, aargh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I hardly need to say that Carlsberg's "Crate Escape" ad has returned.

I guess it's popular because of the red-haired lady...

des7jm.jpg

Not a fan of the new Airwaves ad, either:

And Elgar's "Nimrod" is completely the wrong choice of music for this Ginsters ad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement