Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Couple all that with the attention span of folk today, and it's no surprise the quality of TV ads made has gone down the toilet.

You seem to have a rosy picture of ads and TV in the eighties. They were **** then, and they're **** now, there hasn't been some sort of lamentable decline, and there was never some wonderful Golden Age of TV advertising, except in the wet dreams of ad execs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You seem to have a rosy picture of ads and TV in the eighties. They were **** then, and they're **** now, there hasn't been some sort of lamentable decline, and there was never some wonderful Golden Age of TV advertising, except in the wet dreams of ad execs.

I do remember funny ads back in the day, there are tons of videos of them on YouTube

Maybe it's just while we are younger, we have a more captive imagination, and the ads seem to stick around in our minds.

I say all this while eating a Marathon bar, drinking a superman of Fanta while smoking a Hamlet cigar!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I think there is a thread somewhere about which features old ads.
    I used to love the kitkat ads and some of the Guinness ads. Some of them were 90s, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

De da deh. De da deh.

I wonder if that dancing Guinness ad was on now would we be all on here saying it wrecks our head??

Being completely honest I don't think so... good ads are good. Lot of bad ones around these days (as evidenced by this thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

I'm going to risk death here and say....

I actually dont mind the UPC add :D

The song is too catchy for me to hate it lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭LiamKK1982

The ad for those Yollies yogurt things is very weird, gives me the creeps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Supervalu ad and in particular the return of the high pitched squeaky yellow-macked woman insisting if you want to save that's the best place to shop....irritating beyond words...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr. RED

Do you want to go blah blah ****-ing blah; I'm blah-ing blah blah blah ****-ing blah blah blahblahblah!

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Supervalu ad and in particular the return of the high pitched squeaky yellow-macked woman insisting if you want to save that's the best place to shop....irritating beyond words...

I'd actually make her my wife. Just lose the kid and the jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

I'd actually make her my wife. Just lose the kid and the jacket.

And turn down the sound???:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh God Cadbury are going to run these "Yes Sir, I can boogie" ads for every ad break for months again aren't they?

No wonder they're chocolate is going to sh1t with all the outsourcing if they spend every spare cent on advertising...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

The new version of aldi 'we tried it for 8 weeks add'.......they take it so seriously! Hadn't they seen the previous ads?? They act like it was 2003 and aldi was a new concept! We all know aldi/lidl is the cheaper option.....don't try make out ur shocked at the savings!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Billy86 wrote: »
    You confuse me.

I'm confused as to why youre confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

"I want to go to... Venice." Trivago
    So annoying.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

We're all sick of the UPC busker ad now but why does yer man go down on bended knee?Is he supposed to be proposing to her and changes his mind.And why does she show no reaction when he goes off with the Euro?Just shows the amount of thought that went into it.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

That dweeb in the red line insurance ad. This is what a PC emancipated male looks like people. It should be a lesson to us all.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

That dweeb in the red line insurance ad. This is what a PC emancipated male looks like people. It should be a lesson to us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What do Police Constable males have to do with any of this? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

the McDonalds with your man roaming through the fields. it's driving me mad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Not really an advert but every Universal Channel break seems to include the trailer for "Major Case" featuring some of the hammiest acting ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Not really an advert but every Universal Channel break seems to include the trailer for "Major Case" featuring some of the hammiest acting ever seen.

Ah pity really looks like its gone downhill since The Closer finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

The Chill Insurance ad with Jennifer Maguire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Bad as some of our adverts are? Look at what they have to put up with across the pond!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

duridian wrote: »
    This is more of a recycled ad. It (along with the "I Can Boogie" guy) first appeared 6 months ago, but they seemed to disappear for a while, and now are back for some reason. (It may have been UK channels that had them earlier, I can't remember that with certainty.)

See this comment regarding the same bearded annoyance, posted in this thread last March: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89442738&postcount=5609

Don't know why Cadbury have pulled this piece of sh** advertising campaign out of the bin again, but I'll be buying Galaxy bars exclusively from now on if they keep it up.

I think these chocolate ads are very very silly too. If I acted like this at work, I'd be out the same day: I can't boogie!! These are all variants of an older ad from a few years back that was using different songs but still annoying. Nothing wrong with any of the songs btw it is the stupid idiot in the ad!

Insurance ads are the worst. That No-Nonsense ad really annoys me like no other ad would.

We're all sick of the UPC busker ad now but why does yer man go down on bended knee?Is he supposed to be proposing to her and changes his mind.And why does she show no reaction when he goes off with the Euro?Just shows the amount of thought that went into it.

I hope this ad does not give criminals ideas!!

What is this song she is singing? It sounds like a rewrite of one of Johnny Cash's?

It sounds like a rewrite of one of Johnny Cash's?

It most certainly does not!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Rice Krispies dinosaur tv ad and innocent kids radio ad. Latest incredibly annoying entries into the cutesy kids talking ****e genre of ads

Griever931 wrote: »
    The Chill Insurance ad with Jennifer Maguire.

Another insurance classic! The only kind thing I can say is it is marginally better than that No Nonsense ad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I think these chocolate ads are very very silly too. If I acted like this at work, I'd be out the same day: I can't boogie!! These are all variants of an older ad from a few years back that was using different songs but still annoying. Nothing wrong with any of the songs btw it is the stupid idiot in the ad!

How can you find fault with this ad? :D:D:):););)

Insurance ads are the worst. That No-Nonsense ad really annoys me like no other ad would.

The Admiral "Russian Dolls" ads aren't the best ads in the world - but they're certainly better than any insurance ad on this side of the Irish Sea (and better than anything with Gio Compario in it, too).

I hope [the UPC busker] ad does not give criminals ideas!!

Well, the people who came up with this ad are criminals themselves... :o:o:o;)

(Not literally, of course, but let's not spoil the fun.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement