Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

metoer are around ucc at the moment, i'm refusing to engage with them because of that annoying rocket man advert :mad::mad:and they have a poster up n all with his face. grrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Those ladbrokes ads, portraying all 'the lads' as being gamblers

hey guys, it's cool to gamble, the lads are doing it, see, they like beers and the clubs and the weekends too, don't worry if you get addicted to it,
    just give us all your money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Those ladbrokes ads, portraying all 'the lads' as being gamblers

hey guys, it's cool to gamble, the lads are doing it, see, they like beers and the clubs and the weekends too, don't worry if you get addicted to it,
    just give us all your money.

The lads in reality.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHFvD1dCpOzEvVLLQat58rnzfqyd0zX7Yb115kTNi5--rxo3Xg4Q

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭paulthom8

McDonalds ads.

I'd love to know who makes those "burgers" that are bigger than the buns.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

Eastenders ad with them crying and singing Everybody Hurts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

I've another one.
    The always add for incontinence pads with all the women dancing...

Oh look a bunch of middle aged women leaping around the place whilst privately peeing themselves in comfort.

Cringe worthy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

handbagmad wrote: »
    I've another one.
    The always add for incontinence pads with all the women dancing...

Oh look a bunch of middle aged women leaping around the place whilst privately peeing themselves in comfort.

Cringe worthy

Well, without the pads they'd be splashing all over the place. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Mother Nature ads, just fúck off!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭whavin

That hotelscombined.com advert drives me spare. That tw*t going insane staying up all night on multiply laptops and computers checking for the best hotel deal, spouting hotels combined .com like a drivelling gimp. His girlfriend then to come down in the morning looking at him lovingly as he's swinging upside down.. aaaarrrrhhh going daft thinking of it now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I switched off AdBlock for Boards.ie, and now those stupid UPC ads with that wanker and his €1 are showing up.

Someone tell me when that ad fucks off and dies, so I can switch off AdBlock for Boards.ie again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Griever931 wrote: »
    Eastenders ad with them crying and singing Everybody Hurts.

Are you talking about an ad here or every episode of Eastenders :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I switched off AdBlock for Boards.ie, and now those stupid UPC ads with that wanker and his €1 are showing up.

Someone tell me when that ad fucks off and dies, so I can switch off AdBlock for Boards.ie again.

It's scheduled for a 26 week run I think :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Vodafone "Race Day" advert.

Elderly man hasn't missed the big horse race in 63 years, but now he's just too old, how sad.
    But wait! Thanks to Vodafone 4G and his (surprisingly young) son he can watch it on his phone!!

Any reason the deadbeat son couldn't take him? He's not exactly at death's door - evidently able to live independently in his own home, wash, dress, feed himself, get up and down the stairs etc.

Just seems like ageist crap to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's an attempt to show "older people, you can into and benefit from this stuff too!" and they really messed it up in my opinion. I think it is BT who have a far better ad where some older lad in his 70s is trying to get Skype set up for the first time with two women who I assume are his daughters (and more fittingly are in their 40s/50s) and gives a kind of youthful, energetic shout when they show up on his laptop screen. Much better ad because it avoids all of the negative "I'm too old" nonsense that kind of runs against the message they are trying to send.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's an attempt to show "older people, you can into and benefit from this stuff too!" and they really messed it up in my opinion. I think it is BT who have a far better ad where some older lad in his 70s is trying to get Skype set up for the first time with two women who I assume are his daughters (and more fittingly are in their 40s/50s) and gives a kind of youthful, energetic shout when they show up on his laptop screen. Much better ad because it avoids all of the negative "I'm too old" nonsense that kind of runs against the message they are trying to send.

Is this the advert you mean?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

That's the one! Hadn't seen the full length ad and it comes over a bit patronising, prefer the 30ish second one that usually on TV. Still while both are about elderly men learning to use modern technology, the message is much better - about gaining confidence, never being too old, etc while Vodafone's ad is about some old guy sat along because at home because his thinking he is too old has sapped his confidence to go out to things like the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Ballfro

The new Hunky Dory's ad with the guy in the bath being fed them and ends with 'satisfy yourself'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

franer1970 wrote: »

Elderly man hasn't missed the big horse race in 63 years, but now he's just too old, how sad.
    But wait! Thanks to Vodafone 4G and his (surprisingly young) son he can watch it on his phone!!

Any reason the deadbeat son couldn't take him? He's not exactly at death's door - evidently able to live independently in his own home, wash, dress, feed himself, get up and down the stairs etc.

Maybe its not his son,he could be his twink toyboy and Dad is the lads nickname for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Not a TV or radio ad, but the recent Tommy Hilfiger bus shelter ads. Featuring a hipster man in furry hood, "gilet" and beard. He makes me angry, the smug twat.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Not a TV or radio ad, but the recent Tommy Hilfiger bus shelter ads. Featuring a hipster man in furry hood, "gilet" and beard. He makes me angry, the smug twat.

Do I detect just the teensiest waft of envy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

franer1970 wrote: »

Or of course he could have just watched it on TV and seen the whole race, not just the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

That stupid mace ad!

Just saw that Fecking Dior "I'm not going to be the person you expect me to be anymore" ad from a few years ago again on Sky 1. :mad:

Also the Muller rice pudding ads with the bloody rapping bear straight out of 1996. Ripping off a song that was terrible when it was released around 1991. And that they've got so far behind that they've now got the thing shouting "REMIX!" like it was 2002. It might just be the biggest "channel changer" on tv for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Just saw that Fecking Dior "I'm not going to be the person you expect me to be anymore" ad from a few years ago again on Sky 1. :mad:

Also the Muller rice pudding ads with the bloody rapping bear straight out of 1996. Ripping off a song that was terrible when it was released around 1991. And that they've got so far behind that they've now got the thing shouting "REMIX!" like it was 2002. It might just be the biggest "channel changer" on tv for me at the moment.

Discount Doublecheck...stupid Rodgers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I truly truly hate the trivago ads.
    No one cares this much about hotel rooms as they are all basically the same.
    In fact asking for a fecking "vintage bath" is actually a amazingly imaginative of them as I have never seen a "vintage bath" in any hotel i've ever been in, and its about the only think in an entire hotel room that could possibly be in any way unique.
    And that fecking music. WTF ?. Its just so so annoying and pathetic sounding and pretentious.
    And its on ALL THE TIME. I must have seen it about 3-4 hundred times by now.

Discount Doublecheck...stupid Rodgers...

That's not over here now is it? :(

Christ it's even worse than that ad Cutler isn't in!

BOOM!!!

That's not over here now is it? :(

Christ it's even worse than that ad Cutler isn't in!

BOOM!!!

It's not on here, I just wanted to register my annoyance with Rodgers.

Cutler can't be in an ad, unless they're advertising middle finger rings.

It's not on here, I just wanted to register my annoyance with Rodgers.

Cutler can't be in an ad, unless they're advertising middle finger rings.
    I'm sure that mighty quiff could find work somewhere. :D

The worst discount double check one was done on an airplane. One of the more painful ads I remember seeing in a long while.

I'm sure that mighty quiff could find work somewhere. :D

The worst discount double check one was done on an airplane. One of the more painful ads I remember seeing in a long while.

Don't be ridiculous. The Superfans saved that one...:o

OK this is probably starting to put people off. Lesson is, however bad our ads are, they aren't as bad as America...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Do I detect just the teensiest waft of envy?

Eh, no. I can't grow a beard. Something to do with having a second X chromosome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement