Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Mikosyko wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned those stupid "bin it your way" chewing gum ads.

They have....

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

It's scheduled for a 26 week run I think :)

Please say you are joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Please say you are joking.

I'm joking ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

Is it just me or is the guy from that ad where the mother hires a waster to annoy her current teenage son (forget the add name) the guy who works with Shaun in Shaun of the Dead in the electronics store??

Saw the film recently and thought he bore a resemblance....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Is it just me or is the guy from that ad where the mother hires a waster to annoy her current teenage son (forget the add name) the guy who works with Shaun in Shaun of the Dead in the electronics store??

Saw the film recently and thought he bore a resemblance....

The guy in Shaun of the Dead is Rafe Spall:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafe_Spall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

trashcan wrote: »
    The "bin it your way" gum litter ads. Jesus, did somebody actually get paid for thinking up that absolute drivel ?

They did, but they were probably trying to use it to sell iPods when they came up with it. These "bin it your way" tossers just ripped off the Apple ad's graphic style and put a nonsensical slogan. As if the stupid zombies who drop chewing gum everywhere are going to listen to it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I honestly hope the aforementioned tossers are sued out the asshole by Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Those aib brave ads are getting on my tits. Going out doing an honest days work is brave according to aib. Aib talking about an honest days work is fairly sickening while they pay huge salaries with money taken from you to cover their atrocious lending practices.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That new Thompson advert with the teddy bear reciting the words to Bohemian Rhapsody .
    What is that all about??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

KoolKid wrote: »
    That new Thompson advert with the teddy bear reciting the words to Bohemian Rhapsody .
    What is that all about??

Unfortunately when you get the occasional pice of brilliance like the Cadburys Phil Collins/Gorilla ad from a few years back, the results is a bunch of awful are pets to imitate it for years after. Same counts for films like Pulp Fiction and The Matrix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Billy86 wrote: »
    Unfortunately when you get the occasional pice of brilliance like the Cadburys Phil Collins/Gorilla ad from a few years back, the results is a bunch of awful are pets to imitate it for years after. Same counts for films like Pulp Fiction and The Matrix.

Now that you mention Pulp Fiction, Harvey Keitel and the Direct Line ads :mad: All of them, but especially the one copying his Pulp Fiction scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Now that you mention Pulp Fiction, Harvey Keitel and the Direct Line ads :mad: All of them, but especially the one copying his Pulp Fiction scene.

Would have been a potential great idea if they were done a little better... and 18 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

handbagmad wrote: »
    That Muller yogurt add with Nicole scherzinger. Could be more fake and annoying if she tried.

Love to be slapping the head of her.

She'd sell her granny that one.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Those aib brave ads are getting on my tits. Going out doing an honest days work is brave according to aib. Aib talking about an honest days work is fairly sickening while they pay huge salaries with money taken from you to cover their atrocious lending practices.

Bank ads are and have always been more than annoying. Along with the insurance ads. One of the few good things about the recession was we were spared these type of ads.

'Brave' is doing work while borrowing from these cowboys? Yes, according to AIB! These guys are 100% gangsters/banksters and it looks like we are entering the 'Celtic phoenix' era!! Complete with malpractice from our bankers? These ads make us believe we are back in 2004/2005 and heading into another era of corruption?

I hope I am wrong but advertisements like these do not bode well. Hate them as I may, I also think they are very clever and get people to feel the bank is on their side and encourages people to borrow. They know how to pluck the heartstrings and appeal to 'brave' businesspeople.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Agreed the AIB Brave ads are really annoying like some kind of Government type pseudo-physiological propaganda.

The voiceover is the Irish girl from Channel 4's Utopia? She's bloody annoying. "Can I speak softer than this, .... yeah if I pretend that I have a pain in my vocal cords.... be brave for me".

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Bank ads are and have always been more than annoying. Along with the insurance ads. One of the few good things about the recession was we were spared these type of ads.

'Brave' is doing work while borrowing from these cowboys? Yes, according to AIB! These guys are 100% gangsters/banksters and it looks like we are entering the 'Celtic phoenix' era!! Complete with malpractice from our bankers? These ads make us believe we are back in 2004/2005 and heading into another era of corruption?

I hope I am wrong but advertisements like these do not bode well. Hate them as I may, I also think they are very clever and get people to feel the bank is on their side and encourages people to borrow. They know how to pluck the heartstrings and appeal to 'brave' businesspeople.

Yep gamblers and gangsters (its ok though because they wear suits) putting out ads like that is desperate. Wolf in sheeps clothing comes to mind. People have extremely short memories it seems.

This might seem like tinfoil hat talk but hopefully people see through this crap, not just this particular ad but everything going on here at the moment. Unfortunately easy money makes silly people so crazy things. Aib are most likely being forced to give the impression they are lending and best buds with start ups and small business. Just please aib spare us the blood boiling ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Has nobody noticed the most annoying thing about the AIB brave ads? Its the fupping bitch from the Vodafone ad sitting on the steps outside the Kodaline concert doing the voice! I was wondering why it made me grind my teeth the minute I heard it...

Thargor wrote: »
    Has nobody noticed the most annoying thing about the AIB brave ads? Its the fupping bitch from the Vodafone ad sitting on the steps outside the Kodaline concert doing the voice! I was wondering why it made me grind my teeth the minute I heard it...

Think she was in Fairly Shítty iirc. Probably the main source of your chagrin. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Yep gamblers and gangsters (its ok though because they wear suits) putting out ads like that is desperate. Wolf in sheeps clothing comes to mind. People have extremely short memories it seems.

This might seem like tinfoil hat talk but hopefully people see through this crap, not just this particular ad but everything going on here at the moment. Unfortunately easy money makes silly people so crazy things. Aib are most likely being forced to give the impression they are lending and best buds with start ups and small business. Just please aib spare us the blood boiling ads.

The banks have never been the friend of small businesses. They are the servants and partners of big business who also control the government and all political parties.

2014 may be 10 years on but there is a very 2004 feel to things: awful beheadings in the Middle East/Iraq, a talked up economy, and annoying bank ads. Next up, we will get them annoying 100% mortgage ads I bet?

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »

No its the girl from UTOPIA - Fiona O'Shaughnessy

She is also in this film Goldfish Memory, I don't recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

"Johnny's got you covered" that ad drives me mad! I'd love to give yer man on the top of the camper van a slap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

PTSB had Phil Leotardo from The Sopranos in the advert circa 2007. An organised criminal character - banking only better and only bogusly cooking Anglo's books.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Elmo wrote: »
    No its the girl from UTOPIA - Fiona O'Shaughnessy

She is also in this film Goldfish Memory, I don't recommend it.

Seen her in a couple of things,she has a really grating voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I don't like the new Guinness ad. Diageo are obviously trying to cash in on the craft beer market (and they're launching two new 'craft' porters next month). I know there's plenty of beer snobs out there, and it's hard to listen to at times. But at the end of the day there's loads of breweries popping up all over the place, and beer drinkers have never had so much choice. There's some awful beers being brewed, but there's also some truly spectacular ones. And all brewed in Ireland by our fellow Irish men and women. That's a good thing in my book. But Diageo aren't happy because Guinness is down 1%. Greedy bastards. The new ad is so transparent. Ridiculous stuff. But I'm sure they have market research to prove that we'll lap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jbjinny

Yap fiona o shaughnessy cousin of mine nice girl too just doing her job as best she can!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

jbjinny wrote: »
    Yap fiona o shaughnessy cousin of mine nice girl too just doing her job as best she can!

Nothing against her personally lad, everyone in ads ends up being the target of vitriol that should be aimed at the advertisers really. Being in them pays the bills and advances careers.

But the ads are still fairly ****ing annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

"the Kitch"

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭copey

Those cadburys adds

• Advertisement

jbjinny wrote: »

Part of the job an actor is to take criticism, unfortunately. Lets face it she is doing well so she has nothing to worry about and the best of luck to her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement