Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Any and every advert with this excuse for an entertainer in it...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxgKA5OaVjA8PKJv3UCAWGOupLYRmHVWzQ3bADU7cJRDswR22UYDdzifzg

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Griever931 wrote: »
    "That girl's a genius a woah oh woah oh"
    How much have they spent on that campaign, both to film it and the length of time/frequency it runs on primetime slots? Could it still be effective years after it was launched and does the Lotto really need to advertise that much? That ad really pisses me off :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Whats the craic with the new Loreal ad? 'Because everythings better when your naked'. What?! Fùckin stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

All the Rimmel ads.

They always star Georgia Jagger, big gappy rabbit toothed bint, and EVERY ad starts with "Ready to..(insert word: once it was "Ready to go glam?". Another was "Ready to wake up?".
    Every ad starts with "Ready to...?"
    NO I'M NOT READY.

And anyway, why are you advertising new mascaras all the time?
    Are you trying to say that your previous products are no good anymore, that we should ditch them and buy your new ones?!

Gtfo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dunners1984

Anyone seen that ad on Setanta Sports, Kreativ Dental Clinic? Jaysus, your one in that gives me the heeby jeebys. Rubbish ad as well :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

"That girl's a genius a woah oh woah oh"

And yet spends her fortune on a fast car and a private jet just for going down to the local shops/post box.

More money than sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Oh that stupid ad is back, 'Donal...'. I don't know or care what it is for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 TheEnigma

Hughes insurance ads on utv, they make me ashamed to be from Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Oh that stupid ad is back, 'Donal...'. I don't know or care what it is for.

Hate that ad!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

TheEnigma wrote: »
    Hughes insurance ads on utv, they make me ashamed to be from Northern Ireland

You should be.
    I hate ALL Northern Ireland ads, especially the Alliance Insurance one with the screeching Chinese bint and the advisor at the end saying "Aaaaaa-lliance Insurace, that's right".
    Her accent makes me want to punch myself in the head.

I also despise the road safety ads, too.
    It's why I watch ITV all the time now, but no such luck at my parents' who watch UTV.
    It's such a depressing TV channel.

Sorry for ranting and my anger is not directed at you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

fussyonion wrote: »
    You should be.
    I hate ALL Northern Ireland ads, especially the Alliance Insurance one with the screeching Chinese bint and the advisor at the end saying "Aaaaaa-lliance Insurace, that's right".
    Her accent makes me want to punch myself in the head.

I also despise the road safety ads, too.
    It's why I watch ITV all the time now, but no such luck at my parents' who watch UTV.
    It's such a depressing TV channel.

Sorry for ranting and my anger is not directed at you.

I try to watch BBC London and ITV whenever I can, I dunno I find BBC NI and UTV depressing (I'm from Cork) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Anyone seen that ad on Setanta Sports, Kreativ Dental Clinic? Jaysus, your one in that gives me the heeby jeebys. Rubbish ad as well :-)

Speaking of Setanta ads, do they still run the woeful Tec7 one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭McBain11

The Paul O'Connell ad is just awful. The Pepsi ad during the World Cup was painful sh*te.

The meteor ads are bad, but the blonde genius gamer girl is a cracker! Anyone know who she is?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Not sure if these have been mentioned,but there is a series of ads on The Food Network channel for various Samsung products.

The actor who plays the dad in these,well,he just really really REALLY annoys me.

There is just something really irritating about the way he speaks,just does my head in...sorry:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

The new radio ad on farm safety the dead farmers son who supposedly farmed the land with his father. The son has such a pansie annoying voice that he wouldn't have a hope in hell of convincing people that he was a farmer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I can't believe that's Fiona O'Shaughnessy on the AIB ad. I knew the voice was ringing a bell somewhere but I thought she was great in Utopia.

I know she's probably being told to stress the whispery monotone but this is the first ad I've come across that literally makes me dive across the room to the remote to change the channel. It's like an allergic reaction, it makes my skin crawl!

I don't know why we're so bad at advertising in Ireland. Or maybe if the objective is just to annoy people into submission we're actually good at it, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I don't know why we're so bad at advertising in Ireland. Or maybe if the objective is just to annoy people into submission we're actually good at it, I don't know.

There's nothing particularly Irish about it. As someone who watches American sport and is therefore exposed to a truly vast amount of American advertising, I can say with absolute confidence that our ads are no more or less annoying than theirs. We just have a different KIND of annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

There's nothing particularly Irish about it. As someone who watches American sport and is therefore exposed to a truly vast amount of American advertising, I can say with absolute confidence that our ads are no more or less annoying than theirs. We just have a different KIND of annoying.

Watch American sport?
    Be prepared to watch a Geiko ad 600 times during the broadcast!

Americans are generally subtle as a lump hammer though. We're usually a lot closer to the Brits in terms of the output we try and have on TV in general, but it's something that they seem to be able to do fairly well. Take that Muller "Rice, rice, baby" ad for example. It's stupid, yes, but somehow manages to be bearable. It's a fine line obviously. The No Nonsense ones usually get away with it, but they're a bit of a rarity in Irish advertising in that the original concept was at least funny at some stage of development.

I think there's a ploy here, particularly in radio ads, where the voice actor is actually told to mispronounce things or say them in a deliberately annoying way so that it will stick in your head more. Every time I notice it I do make it stick in my head, to actively avoid the company being advertised because of it.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    that Muller "Rice, rice, baby" ad ...manages to be... *puts on sunglasses*...bearable...YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYP.

• Advertisement

Haha excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

That one thats currently running for the Borstal boy play. Every time it describes Brendan Behan as a 'revolutionary' I feel like puking. Even when he was sober he wasn't revolutionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Watch American sport?
    Be prepared to watch a Geiko ad 600 times during the broadcast!

That pig was quite messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

The McDonald's curry ad.

The McDonald's curry ad.

I love that ad, although like anything that's on before every single youtube video, it gets annoying. But it's a great pisstake of the Board Bia ads with that guy rambling on about eggs. Somebody give that guy an egg so he'll shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The two guys asleep on the train... :mad:

And the one with all the Women "dancing" or whatever the feck they're supposed to be doing ♫ ♪ "shake it groovy, shake it groovy.." ♫ ♪ :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Allyall wrote: »
    The two guys asleep on the train... :mad:

Yes, the guys on the train annoy me, they look more like they are being overcome by fumes, than relaxing and sleeping-which I presume is what the ad is supposed to portray.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Tesco Mobile. Mother seems unsure that son will do well in violin recital. Turns out he is a genius.
    Does she just zone out every day when he's practising or something :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

McBain11 wrote: »
    The Paul O'Connell ad is just awful. The Pepsi ad during the World Cup was painful sh*te.

The meteor ads are bad, but the blonde genius gamer girl is a cracker! Anyone know who she is?

Anyone know her name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Anyone know her name?

You get some info here - http://vimeo.com/101392354

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement