Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Speedsie wrote: »
    Yes,
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057010966/1

running over a year, but not terribly active.

That's because the proportion of good ads to bad ads is very low. :o:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

That West Coast Cooler ad with the 3 wans dancing around. Utter shyte.
    They shoot themselves in the foot by only marketing to half the population.
    I tried it before, and it's nice. But if a fella was seen drinking one he'd be seen as a big girls blouse.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

denlaw wrote: »
    That hockey twat, f**k him and his lost weekend..

He sounds like such a painfull tosser.His voice does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

The new Opel ads with Claudia Schiffer. Especially the Mokka ad with the really annoying D4 accent dubbed onto the bloke

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

I couldn't find the "adverts we like/love" thread.

Can anyone tell me what that advert (which has been running for a good while) with the astronauts waiting at baggage reclaim is for ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Specsavers iirc, as in the pilot should have gone to...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

ifconfig wrote: »

Can anyone tell me what that advert (which has been running for a good while) with the astronauts waiting at baggage reclaim is for ?

Is it the Specsavers one?

• Sky is ****ing rife at the moment with this utterly embarrassing add for quidco

The guy at the end dancing is soo bad

Edit* See here. ****ing terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

ifconfig wrote: »

Linked to about five posts up from your query.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057010966/1

The ad is for specsavers. Not sure it is referred to in that thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Vag

Not sure if it's been mentioned as it's quite new - the ad for Vistaprint (I think it is). And the girl keeps yammering on about getting your 'phodo's' developed. She says it about 50 times with the most obnoxiously soft 'T' ever, and every time it make me wince.

Likewise, the ad for the events guide just before the 5.30 on TV3. There was a period where the girl would be giving the dates for a certain event but would pronounce 'twenty-first' as 'tweny-first'. Poor diction really grinds my gears.

Even just thinking about makes me want to go and scream into a pillow. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Rabo seem to have killed the homeless version of that ad after people tweeted it at them and I just saw the "Any course, any job" one there except it stops after the mime collects his degree and they don't mention the fast food job at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

McDonnells Curry, D4 w@nker

http://youtu.be/RsQeBA-ITa8

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thargor wrote: »
    Rabo seem to have killed the homeless version of that ad after people tweeted it at them and I just saw the "Any course, any job" one there except it stops after the mime collects his degree and they don't mention the fast food job at all...

I see this post on their fb page:
    Hi @RaboDirectIE - Saw your TV ad this morning. I'm not sure I find homelessness and its causes funny .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgLdOfyE0Ns

Video has now been removed by user (rabodirect)...

Yes I saw this ad now - no fast food worker shown now.

It's not uncommon for there to being shorter versions of ads after the inital showing of the longer one...but I wonder is this the case or was it removed because of (my!) complaints.

I seriously cannot get over it. I know I am going on about it a lot but what kind of idiots signed off on this???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Daddy is reading the "Journal of Medicine", nice of them to let plebs like me know what demographic Rabo are aiming at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

amdublin wrote: »
    Yes I saw this ad now - no fast food worker shown now.

It's not uncommon for there to being shorter versions of ads after the inital showing of the longer one...but I wonder is this the case or was it removed because of (my!) complaints.

I seriously cannot get over it. I know I am going on about it a lot but what kind of idiots signed off on this???
    Hopefully idiots who will be signing on in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Billy86 wrote: »
    Hopefully idiots who will be signing on in the next few weeks.

Am I the only one who thinks ye are all getting a bit too offended by this?

Not the best ad by any stretch, but worth reporting?? I don't think so.

Padkir wrote: »

I thought it was pretty offensive, highly sexist, and just a plain stupid ad who's jokes fell on their arse and were completely tone deaf ("haha look, homeless idiots deserve what they get!" ... "arts degree? Us bankers laugh at you, we value money") - but I'm not the type to complain to companies over ads. I just reckon if you're a company who pay a lot of money to someone to do something, and they are clearly utter crap at it, then it's probably time to seek out alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already but those 'life skill's' adverts on Sky for Barclay's bank is the most annoying thing I've seen on TV in years. Especially the one where the precocious young African Londoner goes on about 'if you start everything with emmm ' ... . I'd love to twat him and tell him just to be a normal teenager like everyone else.

While I'm at it that BBC MUSIC advert is horrendous. From the first time I saw it I decided I must keep my remote control beside me at all times so I can jump on it quickly to change the channel asap cause the last thing I want Is all the brit patriotic stuff getting into my head.

Generally any junk food adverts annoy me - especially one that advocates giving your sprogs panda chocolate for breakfast. What kind of sick parents would give there own kids hydrogenated vegettable oil every day- one of the worst things you could possibly eat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Oh flipping hell the Barclays ad! Are people really that thick that this kind of thing is necessary?!!

Britain goes from having a giant empire to having to tell its citizens not to pick their noses at a job interview in less than a century. That has to be some kind of record :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

It was just starting to die down as well..... :(

I think it's more than "not the best ad".

I think the college one is snobbish and elitist - it is clear that mammy and daddy are unhappy about sons college and job choice. Is this where we are that it's fun to joke about someone's "bad" job...All because they chose the wrong bank.

As for the homeless ad. Seriously I wonder when the Civil Defence set up the temporary winter shelter in Wolfe tone quay will they back rabo 's ad up - oh yes that's why most of our clients are here, chose the wrong bank tut tut tut...ah well sure their own fault what can you do but make a bit of fun about that and turn it in to an ad.

I'd agree with the poster who mentioned the people who made the ad. These are apparently professionals and this is what they came up with. Equally the people in the bank, when it was first shown did no one think, hmm I'm not so sure about this message.

As for making a complaint about it. I really disagree with anyone parodying any sector of our community and the homeless certainly don't deserve this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I would imagine that's actually what takes place. the world over.

forums & social media are an ad agency's dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Thanks again to those who replied to my query about the space landing advert - Specsavers.
    It is actually a fairly good advert as they go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

If the accounts of it here are correct and I haven't seen it , it sounds horrendous. Are you associated with rabo direct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

colossus-x wrote: »
    If the accounts of it here are correct and I haven't seen it , it sounds horrendous. Are you associated with rabo direct ?

Not at all, I don't even use them as a bank. I just wouldn't be one to get offended over a poor ad. Ye must hate every comedian if the above is anything to go by. I understand that an ad is subject to a higher level of scrutiny due to standards, etc, but I don't think I've ever seen one that has made me feel offended or want to formally complain about.

Not at all, I don't even use them as a bank. I just wouldn't be one to get offended over a poor ad. Ye must hate every comedian if the above is anything to go by. I understand that an ad is subject to a higher level of scrutiny due to standards, etc, but I don't think I've ever seen one that has made me feel offended or want to formally complain about.
    A multi billion Euro financial institution whose job is to act responsibly and objectively, no less still in a time where they (as a whole, not just Rabo) are still quite despised for causing the biggest financial meltdown in almost a century and not having to face many consequences for it... that's not really the same as an individual who tells whose job is to tell jokes and create laughter.

Not only that, but a lot of controversial jokes told by comedians are intended ironically as criticism, Rabo (edit - autocorrect) weren't criticising anyone there bar homeless people and people who decide to study what they are actually interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Those feckin Littlewoods Ireland ads - they are on every bloody ad break :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement