Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

brooke 2 wrote: »
    That Herbal Essences shampoo ad - 'yeess, yeesssss, yeeesssssssss'.
    No! No!! No!!! :(

Any ad with Nicole Shir...whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Zonda999 wrote: »
    The "Budweiser Dream Job" ad is really starting to grind my gears to be honest. Especially that smug git at around 52 seconds into the video in the link below going on about his chain of "five star hotels across Ireland". Want to punch him every time I see it.

It's the fella who wants to be the travel "rider" who gets to me

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Actually most Guinness ads of late. No one actually drinks the stuff in the Ads.
    If they can not get paid actors drinking it, why should I? Seems like pure being artsy for the sake of it and padding the C.V.s of marketing folk

Guinness ads really wind me up. You have a factory that makes thick gloopy beer. That's it. Nothing to do with rugby or hurling or surfing or whatever else.

And, like so many other things at this time of year, you have f*ckin nothing to do with fond Christmas memories. Stop trying to pretend you have, and stop trying to pretend you give a f*ck about anything at all other than milking the season for everything you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Actually most Guinness ads of late. No one actually drinks the stuff in the Ads.
    If they can not get paid actors drinking it, why should I? Seems like pure being artsy for the sake of it and padding the C.V.s of marketing folk
    Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Guinness ads really wind me up. You have a factory that makes thick gloopy beer. That's it. Nothing to do with rugby or hurling or surfing or whatever else.

And, like so many other things at this time of year, you have f*ckin nothing to do with fond Christmas memories. Stop trying to pretend you have, and stop trying to pretend you give a f*ck about anything at all other than milking the season for everything you can.

The surfer ad was brilliant, though. But then again, it was made over 15 years ago.

Has the "Even at the home of the black stuff, they dream of a white one" ad returned already?

It's a good ad, but it's almost as old as the surfer one. Surely it wouldn't hurt to try out a new Christmas ad?

The surfer ad was brilliant, though. But then again, it was made over 15 years ago.

Has the "Even at the home of the black stuff, they dream of a white one" ad returned already?

It's a good ad, but it's almost as old as the surfer one. Surely it wouldn't hurt to try out a new Christmas ad?

The older ads at least had people actually drinking the stuff

And home of the black stuff???
    Why is GUINNESS® black?

Look closely. GUINNESS® beer is not actually black but rather dark ruby red because of the way the ingredients are prepared. Some malted barley is roasted, in a similar way to coffee beans, which is what gives GUINNESS® its distinctive colour.

I would love to know it's colour 20 years ago, before they started reducing the amount of roasted barley

• Advertisement

No-one's drinking Budweiser in this classic seasonal advert from the eighties:

No-one's drinking Budweiser in this classic seasonal advert from the eighties:

First it's bud, so that's a good thing ha. But, seriously, that's a themed advert.
    Last time that I remember someone drinking Guinness in a regular advert was a take home domino type ad years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,148 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The latest advert that shows a man walk to the pub on an ordinary footpath that turns into the path to Mount Doom behind him.
    I half expected the ad to be in association with a Taxi Drivers union.
    Oh, and if you thought the Littlewoods Ireland ads were bad, the UK one doesn't even have a Christmas soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

And home of the black stuff???

Another great ad Guinness had around the same time or shortly after following the same theme as the surfers...

It's like they just have up trying around ten years ago. That said I just checked the Dancing Man ads they had in the mid 90s and though I still think they're class, I am 100% definite they would be all over this thread if they came out recently instead of 20 years back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

This was another great one that ran for years,I can remember it being still shown in the late 80s nearly a decade after it first came out.The currach one was great as well but I couldn't find that on YT.A lot of the recent Guinness ads are big on special effects and gimickery but lacking in imagination,a big example being that one with people chasing fridges through the street,utterly hate that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

darkdubh wrote: »
    The currach one was great as well but I couldn't find that on YT.

Here you go.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

That's what I mean. Thought went into the older ads but now days it is all about how arty-farty (love that saying) they can make it.
    It's pure backslapping and trying to win marketing awards rather than sell product.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Just on a side note, I love that Gunnies swimmer ad. One of my favourites. Its directed by Jonathan Glazer (he also did the 'Surfer/Horses' one)... check out some of his other work you may know (and enjoy!!). Some catalogue!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Glazer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

This is starting to look like the "Adverts We Like" thread :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

AXA red line. I want to punch the tv every time I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Doctors without borders - Ebola Emergency Appeal
    :mad:

I think he has the most annoying voice for any advert ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Allyall wrote: »
    Doctors without borders - Ebola Emergency Appeal
    :mad:

I think he has the most annoying voice for any advert ever.

And its companion ad. "Buy your limited edition Battle of Waterloo commemoration medal. Only one per household." Being advertised by some ex-military eejit with the dullest voice ever. I always knew there was something missing in my life but never knew what until I heard about limited edition commemoration medals. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭jmcc

The Vistaprint "PhoDos" advert.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »

Regards...jmcc

"Visdaprint", surely? :o:o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Every single Eircom advert.

They're false and desperate. Annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Regards...jmcc

Has anyone noticed that a competitor (photobox or something) has come out with a very similar ad that stresses the f*** out of the the - "phoTos"? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,881 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Billy86 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that a competitor (photobox or something) has come out with a very similar ad that stresses the f*** out of the the - "phoTos"? :pac:
    I like them already

I can never understand how they get people who cannot say the name of the product / company for ads....

"fffky... Believe in better"

*rage*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Radio5 wrote: »
    AXA red line. I want to punch the tv every time I see it.

I do too, but are you sure he's a tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The supermarkets have excelled themselves with crappy adverts this year but this gets my No.1 puke award for smugness and general disconnectivity with the real world. No ugly people anywhere in sight, homeless beggars, drunkards etc.

All smiles, beautiful people, beautiful homes....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZyV7Dw_tC8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Weird mcvities biscuit ad... Where the biscuits have all turned into piglets, cats, rabbits and dogs in the biscuit box.

I can't imagine my family would react like the people in the ad do. Mine would be more like.... WTF Did this stupid f-ing piglet eat all the biscuits!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The Gaviscon twins, John and James. Primary school kids could do better than this. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Some of the Christmas ads can be a bit irritating but some are really good. They have kept it less Christmasy this year in some of the ads for the grocery stores in particular. The ads aren't too in your face about Christmas at least like other years!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That ad for Gucci (not Bono's mate) that rips the pi$$ out of Sin City.

Motorbikes, flames, hot women. I need to smell like that!! yuk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

Any advert that has Yvonne from Fair City doing the voiceover.
    Just now four seperate adverts on the Pat Kenny show in the same ad break, had her irritating voice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement