Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The latest Trivago one with the bearded hipster fella carrying his girlfriend to their hotel room; they may as well just say "We're going to do it all night long"...it's weird.

The Birds Eye ones for the steamed fish.
    Scene with brother and sister and they're eating the dullest looking veg but talking about it like it's Michelin-star quality.

The Smart Insurance ad with the young guy with the Liverpudlian accent being a really bad actor on the phone to the too-pretty Smart Insurance lady.

Nicole Scherzinger and her stupid cringey Muller ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The Lynx Black ad. I think the so called 'cool guy' is more scary and creepy than the gentlemen with all the bling.

Emmmaaah is back too, yer man still stuck in the loo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The Johnson, Mooney & O'Brien ad with with the bloke singing. Thought it was a p!ss take at first...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

amdublin wrote: »
    AIB GAA Club championships

*big mullah voice* I am 100% we are going to win, I am 100%. I want to go to Croke Park on St Patrick's day"

Seriously is that the kind of "inspiration" that goes on in dressing rooms at half time :confused:
    I ****ing hate that ad :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Just as bad as the one before it, "Theres Jimmy, who never misses a match, and Biddy, who makes all the sandwiches". Some real patronizing cnuts in the AIB ad department between that and the Brave ads.

They should be ashamed to be using the Part Of The Community shtick the amount of times that bank has robbed the taxpayer down the years anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

That air wick "this is Anna on a roll" is very odd. When the voiceover says "she realises she likes this couple" I really expect her to launch into a massive killing spree!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I hate the percil clean and fresh ad. Its so irritating. Far too put on. They always end with "its not as soft as you/her/him/that terrible actor"

Those ridiculous Steve and Ray-chill Bank of Ireland ads. So that's their target demographic, young, single, professional?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Its for Women gets a real laugh in my house when it comes on. The ad begins by decrying stereotypes and then proceeds to name a number of stereotypes of women and driving- high heels, giving their car a name. Also finishing on Katie Taylors monotonal voice holding up a gold medal is just pure tacky.

AIB Brave ads wreck my head. Apart from that banks recent history the womans voice when she says 'main streets bustle' is really affected and put on. It ending on 'we're backing brave' whilst showing a farmer chucking road tyres is completely daft too

The Its for women ad has to be the winner of worst ad of 2015 so far. The amount of times its been mentioned on here is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Defending its title as the Worst Ad of 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Carnacalla wrote: »
    The Its for women ad has to be the winner of worst ad of 2015 so far. The amount of times its been mentioned on here is amazing.

They gave me the cheapest quote of all for insurance though, so they got my business :D

(this year only though, won't be going with an online broker again, complete PITA to deal with if you've any reason to interact with them - almost impossible to make contact with them).

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

those axa red line clowns and the new git next door, he apparently volunteers at the weekend...i'd wager he's a 128 bit security on HIS HDD

I do like the BOI one where yer man brings home the bird, if we're all being honest, we all know a bird/lad that annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,881 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

denlaw wrote: »
    I do like the BOI one where yer man brings home the bird, if we're all being honest, we all know a bird/lad that annoying...

Yeah oddly enough I like it too. They very quickly establish very clear characters and circumstances. The weird guy comes in, asks who's winning, then just says "doesn't matter" and we already know he's barely tolerated in the house (hence the two lads look optimistic at first that he might be moving out). The two other guys are obviously friends, but one of them is well off (suit, ability to get a mortgage) while the other (casual clothes, look of panic when his mate goes straight looking for a mortgage leaving him on his own). I dunno why, there's something relatively 3 dimensional about it.

The woman in it is basically a misogynistic stereotype though (arguably it makes a change from the stupid man-smart woman nonsense, but it isn't a change for the better to portray a woman as a complete spanner either). And it seems unlikely you could just announce that someone else is moving into a house without consultation with your flatmates (and he isn't the owner-occupier since they already thought at first he might be moving out). But yeah, not bad.

I've thought too much about it, haven't I?

denlaw wrote: »
    those axa red line clowns and the new git next door, he apparently volunteers at the weekend...i'd wager he's a 128 bit security on HIS HDD

It's getting weird now. I mean, I hate those ads very very much, but surely the point is usually to show how your product, especially things relating to big life investments like house or car insurance, will create conditions for family happiness and bliss. Instead we see two irritating ar$eholes who irritate each other, and now we're watching the beginnings of marital collapse as she finds satisfaction in the arms of another man instead of the failure of a husband she married who cannot grow up, and seems to still be wearing jeans that last fit him when he was about fifteen.

Thargor wrote: »
    Just as bad as the one before it, "Theres Jimmy, who never misses a match, and Biddy, who makes all the sandwiches". Some real patronizing cnuts in the AIB ad department between that and the Brave ads.

They should be ashamed to be using the Part Of The Community shtick the amount of times that bank has robbed the taxpayer down the years anyway...

It never ceases to amaze me how much companies have hopped on the GAA bandwagon over the last decade. I'm pretty cynical of advertising in all its forms so I'm certainly not their target market. But by this stage the list of companies who use associations with the GAA to sell product seems to grow and grow. Off the top of my head we've had Guinness. AIB, Bank of Ireland, Ulster Bank, Avonmore Protein Milk and now even the Germans are getting in on the act- Aldi have an ad running at the moment that features a Donegal GAA team. The strategy of linking a product to the GAA must work or otherwise they wouldn't be doing it but regardless of that I just find it very patronising. It must be even more so for the players themselves who dont get a red cent and then have to watch companies piggyback on the images that the GAA purveys; hard work, love of the jersey, amateur game for glory and no pay etc, etc. For me there is a certain irony that GAA players up and down the country are busting their balls training and playing to what in most other sports would be deemed a professional level. And then along comes a company and uses that ethos to sell products and services which make them money. But the GAA player himself is left out of pocket and is typically time poor due to training 5 or 6 days a week, often before and after work at intercounty level.

Anyway I still await the day when someone invents a device or app that automatically switches your tv channel to advert free BBC when the app detects a sudden increase in decibels which seems to be pretty standard now across tv channels when the ads come on. With smart tvs becoming more prevalent hopefully someone will crack it, an adblock for your tv would just solve all my first world problems :D

Oh and just another comment on the It's for Women ads. In the second ad of the series it opens up by telling us how women are excellent multi-taskers. It tells us that women can be many things from girly girls to business movers and shakers. Every time that dumb bint says the line 'business movers and shakers' in her contrived D4 accent I secretly want to punch her in the face !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Muahahaha wrote: »
    ...I secretly want to punch her in the face !

More proof that we live in a violent, phallocentric, patriarchal world. Apologise to the internet for the failings of your gender NOWWW!!! :D

fricatus wrote: »
    More proof that we live in a violent, phallocentric, patriarchal world. Apologise to the internet for the failings of your gender NOWWW!!! :D

I'm a normally-passive rational female and I want to assist Muahahaha in the punching session :)

Muahahaha wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how much companies have hopped on the GAA bandwagon over the last decade. I'm pretty cynical of advertising in all its forms so I'm certainly not their target market. But by this stage the list of companies who use associations with the GAA to sell product seems to grow and grow. Off the top of my head we've had Guinness. AIB, Bank of Ireland, Ulster Bank, Avonmore Protein Milk and now even the Germans are getting in on the act- Aldi have an ad running at the moment that features a Donegal GAA team. The strategy of linking a product to the GAA must work or otherwise they wouldn't be doing it but regardless of that I just find it very patronising. It must be even more so for the players themselves who dont get a red cent and then have to watch companies piggyback on the images that the GAA purveys; hard work, love of the jersey, amateur game for glory and no pay etc, etc. For me there is a certain irony that GAA players up and down the country are busting their balls training and playing to what in most other sports would be deemed a professional level. And then along comes a company and uses that ethos to sell products and services which make them money. But the GAA player himself is left out of pocket and is typically time poor due to training 5 or 6 days a week, often before and after work at intercounty level.
    D
    As a GAA player at a very low level, yeah, it boils my pi$$. Now the argument would be that the GAA gets revenue from all this, but it is just companies piggybacking on the spirit of the thing, which is built over generations on the backs of players and volunteers, their time and their money. Sport in advertising is always there and often annoying but the ads using the GAA are far more likely than the others to tap into the whole community and heart elements rather than things like super-athleticisim and glamour as they do when they use rugby or soccer. Coupled with the fact the players are amateur, it makes it all seem much more cynical and dishonest.

I've no problems with stupid ads about how rugby players are warriors so therefore you should drink Guinness. Well, I do. That ad about Munster V New Zealand is puke-inducing, and more piggy-backing on the efforts of amateurs, which had nothing whatsoever to do with Diageo.

But when you are using the ethos of the association in order to pretend that your company is something when in fact it is the opposite (ie AIB supporting communities rather than selling them up the stream and making away like bandits afterwards, or ALDI creating local jobs when really their business model is built around crushing local businesses), is pretty reprehensible.

• Advertisement

Yeah oddly enough I like it too. They very quickly establish very clear characters and circumstances. The weird guy comes in, asks who's winning, then just says "doesn't matter" and we already know he's barely tolerated in the house (hence the two lads look optimistic at first that he might be moving out). The two other guys are obviously friends, but one of them is well off (suit, ability to get a mortgage) while the other (casual clothes, look of panic when his mate goes straight looking for a mortgage leaving him on his own). I dunno why, there's something relatively 3 dimensional about it.

The woman in it is basically a misogynistic stereotype though (arguably it makes a change from the stupid man-smart woman nonsense, but it isn't a change for the better to portray a woman as a complete spanner either). And it seems unlikely you could just announce that someone else is moving into a house without consultation with your flatmates (and he isn't the owner-occupier since they already thought at first he might be moving out). But yeah, not bad.

I've thought too much about it, haven't I?
    just a tad:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

radio ad but still HATE it, the skechers ad - with the young fella giving the mother lip about her memory foam runners - saucy brat

Seasan wrote: »

I actually kinda like that ad..

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Seasan wrote: »

Haha ,love that ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I don't despise it - but can anyone please tell me what the feck that Nespresso ad with George Clooney wearing nice shoes and then orange flip-flops is all about? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I don't despise it - but can anyone please tell me what the feck that Nespresso ad with George Clooney wearing nice shoes and then orange flip-flops is all about? :confused:

He swaps his shoes for the coffee, then the girl 'charms' him out of the coffee, which in fact, is for the original coffee customer. (the actor from the recent French b+w silent Oscar winning film).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The new KFC ad with the tag line "Celebrating Family for over 40 years"

The reason it pisses me off is that at the start of the ad they show the elderly man as a child and based on the car in this part clearly he is a child in the 1940's.

At the end of the ad in the modern day he looks to be in his 70's which matches up with the first point I made.But why do KFC say celebrating family for over 40 years when the bloody ad covers a time span of 70 years.

Also the voice over actors sounds very similar to Trevor McDonald and the which annoys me for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 the raven 15

I hate every insurance advert!
    Why do they think they're comedians?

I don't want a laugh, I've just had a traumatic experience.....

And that bitch on the save for Xmas advert, she comes on talking about next Xmas the week before ****ing Xmas. Big helter skelter eyes on her.

Oh yeah....and those starving baby ads......
    Put on around meal times to make you feel guilty for ****ing eating....
    Save the baby.....save the baby they plead.....
    You're three feet away from him mister camera man, why don't you give him one of your sandwiches you packed for lunch?
    Or sell your camera equipment and get him some chicken nuggets.....
    ****ing sadist filming starving people.....then jumps in his expensive Jeep and goes back to his five star hotel.....
    Real humanitarians.

Get those ads off the TV.

• Advertisement

That SNA ad with the obnoxious voice over. So smug, so condescending, what a little git.:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement