Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jackblack99

I know its a radio add sorry but the one where the two lads pretend to be turkeys...

GOOBLE, GOOBLE AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Probably mentioned before but it has to be

HARVEY NORMAN - can't stand it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I know its a radio add sorry but the one where the two lads pretend to be turkeys...

omg its infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭p to the e

i know i'll get an elbow in the ribs for this one but those charity ads that try to make you feel so guilty. you know the ones that show either starving kids or dying animals. and they're always on just when you sit down to dinner. oh i'm gonna get such a kicking for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭JDxtra

p to the e wrote: »
    i know i'll get an elbow in the ribs for this one but those charity ads that try to make you feel so guilty. you know the ones that show either starving kids or dying animals. and they're always on just when you sit down to dinner. oh i'm gonna get such a kicking for this!

I agree. Hate those things and always change the channel. My TV is generally for light entertainment. If I wanted to depress myself I would watch the news. By the way, I heard stations show many of those ads for free when the slots are not sold to other advertisers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Really **** ad that is, I imagine they though it was genius when they thought it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

The ad for Buttercup cough medicine, or whatever it is, irks me to no end:

"You only need one bottle of buttercup hanging on your wall.." (lyrics?)

It's just very irritating, to be honest; too cheerful! :D

As mentioned before, the Harvey Norman adverts. I don't understand where they got the idea that they have any right (well, technically they do) to scream at the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bigal87

I dont know if this has been mentioned but what about that stupid easons christmas advert (Santa's Workout). Such an annoying tune at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Take a break!

A bunch of wagons murdering a Bee Gees classic song, Tragedy. :mad:

Makes my blood boil. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,613 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The ad for the mobile phone ringtones. Station immediately changed when it comes on.

Also, the regain ad witht he two kids getting their dad to use it cause they want a new mum, then the dad takes a photo of him and his date and the kids celebrate. Station immediately changed when it comes on.

hate them both, with a passion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

:mad::mad:That stupid Bothar ad on the radio drives me crazy :mad: WTF kind of good deed doers do they think they are with their bollox Gaeilge word for their charity. A bunch of cowboys! And I hate them:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Bond-007 wrote: »
    A bunch of wagons murdering a Bee Gees classic song, Tragedy. :mad:

That'd be "Steps", then ???

The car ads that show cars surfing, etc, annoy me....unless it's Bond's classic Lotus, your car can't do that, so don't show it.

And the Pepsi ads are pathetic.....it doesn't matter how many "celeb" footballers you pay to appear, guys - I still won't drink it, and I hate the fact that some chippers serve your gunk when I ask for another brand.

Oh! And (not sure if I mentioned this earlier) the ads that sneakily suggest that plastic surgery is inevitable....."xxxxxx cream - when your're not YET ready for surgery", or "UNTIL you're ready for surgery"......no-one NEEDS surgery for a few bloody wrinkles that just serve to show they've laughed and smiled during their lives!

In fact, I just thought.....those last ones are counter-productive, because if the stuff was any good, you DEFINITELY wouldn't need surgery after using it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    That'd be "Steps", then ???

Not steps. :)

It is a bunch of auld ones who sing "Take a break" instead of Tragedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Not steps. :)

It is a bunch of auld ones who sing "Take a break" instead of Tragedy.

I know who you meant!!! :D:D

Just thought the description probably suited "Steps" too......

• Registered Users Posts: 4 julieg

Admiral Multicar insurance :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: ......HATE IT...evil annoying parrot...christs sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

zuutroy wrote: »
    omg its infuriating

Infuriating is a nice way of putting it.
    Everyone involved in the making of that should be ashamed of themselves.

p to the e wrote: »

*dig
    Take that. :)

11850 get that number nifty! Definition of 'nifty'; good,quick and clever.
    Lies complete lies!!!
    I really hate that ad.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
    Thieving liars.

Mr E wrote: »
    I watch Living/Dave/Challenge/Bravo alot, and so so many of their ad breaks have an ad with Billy Murray plugging Injury Lawyers 4 U.

As soon as I hear "The universe is in a delicate state of balance....", I'm reaching for the remote.

Bill Murray? :eek:
    Oh Billy Murray, some other geezer- not the comedian i take it.

gscully wrote: »
    That stupid Oatibix ad!

The guy with the stupid grin ("What's that then?")
    His incredibly intelligent wife who comes up with the suggestion of Oatibix...
    The look on the drivers face at her brilliance.

No wonder there's a recession when clowns in advertising suits get paid big bucks for this kind of sh*ite!!

Yeah annoying, anodyne tosh.
    The stupid man/smart woman cliche is mind-numbing. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That one it's "Not made with wheat but oats instead a bix" Jeeeze it's so unreal
    Picture the scene -a couple sitting on a bench in a truck stop car park.

Big artic in garish colours half the size of Mt Leinster pulls in and a clean dapper intelligent lookin driver hops out.

Man on bench - Nigel - looks around "Wots that then ?" he says - At this stage I am roaring at the telly "Its a freekin lorry you freekin plonker - the size of a small mountain !!

Then lorry driver pollitely answers " It's not made with wheat....oats instead..a bix - an Nigel nods sagely as if that was OK

Then the woman - Vera - says " Why not call it Oatabix ?"

The two lads just look at one another.......

Just not believable - in real life lorry driver would clamber down from his cab looking like a distant relative to a rock ape - scratch his head and nutts not necessatily in that order - belch and then head down to the back of the vehicle to empty his bladder noisily against the offside rear wheel.

He would tell Nigel to Fcuk off in response to his "Wots this then" and the thought that a woman would know better than a whole marketing department
    is well just not believable.....

PMSL, thanks.
    "distant relative to a rock ape"- class. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

In that insurance ad out at the moment the crying woman in the black and white scene of the emigrant boats a dead ringer for Mrs Doyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The ad where Haughey is on tv in the eighties saying that we are living way beyond our means.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The ad where Haughey is on tv in the eighties saying that we are living way beyond our means.

The Hibernian ad! I love it.

Though it's so obvious they're eventually going to drop the Hibernian brand and rename to Aviva. So why don't they just do that now and save them the hassle of another rename?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Karsini wrote: »
    Though it's so obvious they're eventually going to drop the Hibernian brand and rename to Aviva. So why don't they just do that now and save them the hassle of another rename?

It's done slowly so people adjust to the name change and have time to associate Hibernian and Aviva. Name changes are not cheap so things like this would be well thought out, they have their reasons

colly10 wrote: »
    It's done slowly so people adjust to the name change and have time to associate Hibernian and Aviva. Name changes are not cheap so things like this would be well thought out, they have their reasons

I'm not disputing you but it does seem that in the UK they're changing straight from Norwich Union to Aviva with no transition period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The constant ads that sky news have been showing for that gimp Jeff Randall have been really pissing me off for the last week. Who the hell is that guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

re the Hibernian ad it shows the emigration/economic hardship with the line "to times we hope to never see again".

Eh, isnt Hibernian in the process of getting rid of a few hundred jobs and outsourcing to India? Bit of a kick in the teeth watching this if you are an affected employee!

Anyway, whoever came up with the new ringtone ad (some knackery female Londoner rapping, a karate kicking monkey etc tc) should be strung up by their own balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

shane86 wrote: »
    re the Hibernian ad it shows the emigration/economic hardship with the line "to times we hope to never see again".

Eh, isnt Hibernian in the process of getting rid of a few hundred jobs and outsourcing to India? Bit of a kick in the teeth watching this if you are an affected employee!

Thats a good point.

I hat that fuppin shreddies ad with a passion. Ye know, the ones with the grannies knitting each shreddie. Not the most profitable manufacturing process me thinks!!

Is that as not false advertising anyway?? Surely be to god it is or is there's some small text at the bottom of the screen i'm missing:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement