Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Pretty poor this year me thinks - Taste Christmas with Coke

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

One thing I've noticed about that current Coke ad, it's says 'choose him' while a muscly topless lad drinks Coke and then when it says 'choose her' the screen is blank, were they unable to find an attractive female to wear very little for that second of screen time,

it doesn't offend me or anything, it just seems like an odd double standard to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,679 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

All Christmas ads until we get 30 days from Christmas. My particular irritant is the Aldi ad, "these are a few of my favourite things..." it's like it's on every single RTÉ ad break, thoroughly annoying after you have heard it the first 100 times...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

All Christmas ads until we get 30 days from Christmas. My particular irritant is the Aldi ad, "these are a few of my favourite things..." it's like it's on every single RTÉ ad break, thoroughly annoying after you have heard it the first 2 times...

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Pretty poor this year me thinks - Taste Christmas with Coke

Yeah because ice cold coke is what you want to drink when the wind chill factor on Ushers Quay is minus 5.

Although, ice cold coke is nice when your nursing that stephens day hangover, but thats maybe not the angle they wanted to go with.

• Advertisement

Amalgam wrote: »
    You know the ads, you know the bank. Enough said..

littlebollix.jpg

Creepy kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I still enjoy yer man... sort of tongue in cheek ad.

12190855_10206132822771828_2496299678041859558_n.jpg?oh=250dfc71bb0bfc17535250cc1a9aae93&oe=56F56D06&__gda__=1455257360_a7f626dd83588f6f0a5e5dd178733998

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

New interactive doll by v-tec, not the ad itself but running it at 12 at night during True Romance! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

The recent Galaxy ad with some bird and a douchebag rapping Over the Rainbow. Her voice is bad enough but whe the douche starts rapping it tips me over the edge. I scramble for the remote to mute it. It actually makes me angry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The recent Galaxy ad with some bird and a douchebag rapping Over the Rainbow. Her voice is bad enough but whe the douche starts rapping it tips me over the edge. I scramble for the remote to mute it. It actually makes me angry.
    Yeah and it also has the old cliche of marketing people being too afraid to put a black guy in an ad without giving him that stupid frizzy afro to make him more acceptable or however they justify it. Surprised they didn't put him breakdancing and doing backflips aswell.

Actually its Moon River, not Over the Rainbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,679 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Aldi ad still going heavy, how much of a budget do they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

All Christmas ads until we get 30 days from Christmas. My particular irritant is the Aldi ad, "these are a few of my favourite things..." it's like it's on every single RTÉ ad break, thoroughly annoying after you have heard it the first 100 times...
    The Aldi ad still going heavy, how much of a budget do they have?

On the plus side, it does mean we don't have to see the "as Irish as the inability to take a compliment, this old dress that I wouldn't put in a bargain bin to save someone else from making a show of themselves etc., etc." type of ads for a while. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

syklops wrote: »
    Actually its Moon River....

Great song though
    tumblr_mazlxnJYg31qh59n0o9_500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Thargor wrote: »
    Yeah and it also has the old cliche of marketing people being too afraid to put a black guy in an ad without giving him that stupid frizzy afro to make him more acceptable or however they justify it. Surprised they didn't put him breakdancing and doing backflips aswell.

Indeed, the (semi) black, afro-frizz guy pops up quite often in advertising. Usually with the 'in' crowd adding to their super coolness by simpy hanging around with him on a city rooftop, drinking some Buds, and listening to some super cool indie music that is all the rage at the moment.

The perspective that advertisers have and portray about everyday life is totally reductive and totally insulting to everyday people.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Perfume ads. I hate those bloody nonsensical perfume ads that are on every single year right through to xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

neris wrote: »
    Perfume ads. I hate those bloody nonsensical perfume ads that are on every single year right through to xmas.

And they make no sense!
    They have some ridiculously beautiful person spouting things like:

"...and when she moved, the clouds parted. For she is beauty. Live. Be life. Come alive. Be alive. Be (>insert name of perfume<)"

WHAT?!
    Fcuk off! Perfume doesn't make me or anyone feel these stupid things. It's just a bloody perfume!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,879 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

fussyonion wrote: »
    And they make no sense!
    They have some ridiculously beautiful person spouting things like:

"...and when she moved, the clouds parted. For she is beauty. Live. Be life. Come alive. Be alive. Be (>insert name of perfume<)"

WHAT?!
    Fcuk off! Perfume doesn't make me or anyone feel these stupid things. It's just a bloody perfume!!!

Oh whatever dude. I'm not going to be the person I'm expected to be anymore.

*walks out of press conference*

• Registered Users Posts: 13,132 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Oh whatever dude. I'm not going to be the person I'm expected to be anymore.

*walks out of press conference*

Oh please tell me you haven't seen that one yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,879 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

flazio wrote: »
    Oh please tell me you haven't seen that one yet?

I'm living abroad the last few months. I experience a while different bunch of irritating ads. The worst ones of all in fact, American ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Arnold Schwarzenegger, Kevin Bacon, Harvey Keitel, George Clooney, Bruce Willis etc.
    It's not necessarily that i dislike the ads, but it does send out the message that customers are being overcharged.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Indeed, the (semi) black, afro-frizz guy pops up quite often in advertising. Usually with the 'in' crowd adding to their super coolness by simpy hanging around with him on a city rooftop, drinking some Buds, and listening to some super cool indie music that is all the rage at the moment.

The perspective that advertisers have and portray about everyday life is totally reductive and totally insulting to everyday people.

The first time I ever noticed semi black afro-frizz guy in advertising was in Tommy Hilfigers magazine ads in the early 2000's. Hilfiger was concentrating on selling 'preppy' clothes marketed at college graduates in the 25-35yr market so in his photo shoots for magazines he needed people of all ethnic backgrounds to be represented. Hilfigers use of semi black afro-frizz guy was considered evolutionary in Ad-Land at the time (c.2003) as they could get a black guy into their ads in a 'safe' way :rolleyes:
    Allyall wrote: »
    Arnold Schwarzenegger, Kevin Bacon, Harvey Keitel, George Clooney, Bruce Willis etc.
    It's not necessarily that i dislike the ads, but it does send out the message that customers are being overcharged.

haha the evoloution of Hollywood actors becoming vessels for brands is quite interesting. Only a decade ago their agents always said don't do ads because movie stars need to remain an enigma and above all that. But this was never the case in Asia, Hollywood actors regularly did Tv and billboard ads- first realisation I had of this was seeing a huge billboard advertising Zanussi fridges in Beijing complete with a grinning Arnold Schwarzenegger. All over Asia you can see Hollywood actors advertising everything from Tvs to electric kettles. But here in Europe the idea is still in its infancy in Ad-Land. So far we have Clooney, Kutchner, Mirren, Aniston and probably a good few others. But its still not mainsteam like I reckon it will become in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Kevin Bacon lost all his money to Bernie Maddoff.
    So he'll take the work where he can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I swear that QuoteDevil.ie ad was made by a disgruntled Slavebridge intern.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

The original was 10X worse. Actually looked like a bad TY project and to make it worse they even had a ridiculously smug/condescending tone in it

"But you wont get THAT for *insert price*"

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

I despise every ad on tv!

I might indeed enjoy 1-2/year - Last one I can remember was that Honda ad that lasted 1-2 minutes.

youtube.com/watch?v=inhYO97OU3I

Overall I hate TV - I like some shows, but it eats your mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

neris wrote: »

"What do you mean?" I said.

"I know" He said.

Calvin Dior: Beautiful

Or some such b*llocks.

The original was 10X worse. Actually looked like a bad TY project and to make it worse they even had a ridiculously smug/condescending tone in it

"But you wont get THAT for *insert price*"

Few years ago I met a guy who showed me a video he'd made, an ad for Quote Devil, who were having a competition. The video was god awful. He told me he'd been the runner up. They must still be doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

''Upc is now Virgin Media''

WE FCUKING GET IT!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement