Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

DivingDuck wrote: »
    The Opel ad is slightly cringey, and I say that as a fan of the brand.

I think they'd be better served by using the Vauxhall UK ads and digitally altering the logo on the car rather than using the Opel DE ads and dubbing the audio. I think the Irish sensibility is a lot closer to the English than the German one, so German humour is unlikely to attract much positive attention in these parts.

German humour? I didnt think such a beast existed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Another one; that Teasers/Maltesers ad, with the two airheads conversing via computer about a new dress when yer wan produces said chocolate bar. "Oo, I'm so jealous, I want one". It's a chocolate bar, for feck's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

jca wrote: »
    German humour? I didnt think such a beast existed!!

I was going to use sarcasm quotes, but I thought maybe that was being mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

blueser wrote: »
    Another one; that Teasers/Maltesers ad, with the two airheads conversing via computer about a new dress when yer wan produces said chocolate bar. "Oo, I'm so jealous, I want one". It's a chocolate bar, for feck's sake.

That ad makes me jealous, I freaking love teasers!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have a high threshold for ad-related embarrassment. There are loads mentioned here which I think are great.
    You say its slightly cringeworthy, so can you think of a more cringeworthy ad?
    I think they'd be better served by using the Vauxhall UK ads and digitally altering the logo on the car rather than using the Opel D.
    I linked one UK vauxhall ad, which was the same german one, flipped and dubbed in an even more english accent. I would love to have a way to see how much they have managed to devalue the brand with this. It's not some simple superficial chocolate bar or something, I honestly reckon it has done serious damage, there is loads of discussion about it on sites.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    You say its slightly cringeworthy, so can you think of a more cringeworthy ad?

As I said, I don't find many ads cringeworthy. The only thing I can really think of is infomercials, which are pretty much uniformly awful.
    I linked one UK vauxhall ad, which was the same german one, flipped and dubbed in an even more english accent. I would love to have a way to see how much they have managed to devalue the brand with this. It's not some simple superficial chocolate bar or something, I honestly reckon it has done serious damage, there is loads of discussion about it on sites.
    I'm often browsing with videos blocked, so I didn't see that. I thought Vauxhall did their own advertising? Having now watched it, I can only wonder if the original German dialogue was actually better than what was broadcast here, considering that the English one is (slightly) different?

As I said, I don't find many ads cringeworthy. The only thing I can really think of is infomercials, which are pretty much uniformly awful.

I'm often browsing with videos blocked, so I didn't see that. I thought Vauxhall did their own advertising? Having now watched it, I can only wonder if the original German dialogue was actually better than what was broadcast here, considering that the English one is (slightly) different?
    They certainly used to. I remember a campaign they had with two lads playing the parts of grown ups. They were good;

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Aldi one taking the p*ss out of the John Lewis Christmas ad.
    I don't see how it's "hilarious".
    It's actually lazy and not a bit funny.

The ad for Philadelphia Duo Cremoso with yer wan biting her lip and looking all around her as if she's done something naughty just because she's eating HUGE MOUNDS of cheese.
    (Ever notice on these ads they eat a LOT of the cheese spread on their tiny bits of bread/crackers?!)

They certainly used to. I remember a campaign they had with two lads playing the parts of grown ups. They were good;

I am nearly sure that campaign appears earlier in this thread.

That's one of the ones I thought was genius, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's weird because that's the very campaign that kicked this whole thread off. Seriously, go back to page one.

flazio wrote: »
    It's weird because that's the very campaign that kicked this whole thread off. Seriously, go back to page one.
    Yeah, I did spot that. I only used those as an example as a poster queried whether Vauxhall used to make their own ads rather than do what Opel over here do and overdub the German ads. As I said earlier, I actually liked those Vauxhall ads. Maybe the fact that I'm English helps as I get the sense of humour there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I hated those Vauxhall ads. Children pretending to be adults scores as high as adults with children's voices (damn haribo) and talking animals on the hate meter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

What's the car ad. where a gang of hipsters spring free from a cinema perched on a desert mountain side?

(I almost expect the Artist Formerly Known As Prince to be chasing down that mountain)

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Any link to the opel ad?

DuMorph wrote: »
    What's the car ad. where a gang of hipsters spring free from a cinema perched on a desert mountain side?

(I almost expect the Artist Formerly Known As Prince to be chasing down that mountain)
    This one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The Christmas Cadbury's ad. I mean if you are going to use the theme music from Thunderbirds, could it not be a little more adventurous than purple trucks driving. Parodying the Thunderbirds intro, with drivers preparing to get into their trucks might have worked better. A missed opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

lertsnim wrote: »
    The badly dubbed Opel advert with the annoying **** from next door saying to his neighbour after a load of dumb questions, "so you can't afford an Opel?" Maybe he can't you little prick

i'd hop the keys off the little pricks head...i'm barely able to keep a 12 yr old van on the go...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

denlaw wrote: »
    i'm barely able to keep a 12 yr old van on the go...:mad:

that means your motoring experience is at least comparable to owning a new Opel :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

syklops wrote: »
    The Christmas Cadbury's ad. I mean if you are going to use the theme music from Thunderbirds, could it not be a little more adventurous than purple trucks driving. Parodying the Thunderbirds intro, with drivers preparing to get into their trucks might have worked better. A missed opportunity.

A bad Cadbury's ad? Surely not!

As if it's not enough that the greasy ****e they pretend is chocolate tastes so awful, they promote it with the absolute worst series of ads I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

that means your motoring experience is at least comparable to owning a new Opel :p

Maybe he has an Opel van, now that's an experience not easily forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Ol' Donie wrote: »

As if it's not enough that the greasy ****e they pretend is chocolate tastes so awful, they promote it with the absolute worst series of ads I've ever seen.

"twice-fried-cocoa-flavoured-vegtable-oil"

It's what cadbury is... but it just doesn't quite roll of the tongue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

Yes, that one.

'Start living, join a herd!'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

The Opel ad with the annoying little prick next door. Can't believe they use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Any link to the opel ad?
    I linked the UK version before. This is the Irish one. I still can't get over it, all I can imagine is there must have been some stupid prize prick in marketing who thought it was clever, and like the emporers new clothes a load of yes men went along with it. Can't believe it is both astonishingly cheap & nasty but also amazingly offensive too.

This link will bring you to the page and you can see comments.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCgaGxZH38
    OPEL wrote:
    Published on Sep 21, 2015
    If you love bragging about your car, look away now! Do you drive an expensive luxury car? Does it come with an ultra-fast wireless hotspot? Can it be conveniently operated with an app? Does it automatically call for help in case of an accident? No? One last question: can´t you afford an Opel?

Stello 6 days ago
    I find it totally disrespectful, the way the kid talks down to the neighbour. Having more money does not make you a better person.
    Reply ·

Opel 6 days ago
    Dear +Stello, we're sorry to hear that you don't like the clip. In fact, the neighbour is the person with more money, and the boy is amazed by his expensive car - until he find's out that this car lacks many features that the New Astra offers for a much cheaper price. :)

I presumed that was what they were going for, but it is not overly obvious. If there was funny music and yer man was some ridiculously flash git in a fur coat with bling & supermodels hanging off him getting into a ferrari I might have found it amusing. But he just looks like a sneering little runt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

syklops wrote: »

Here's a much, MUCH better combination of the 'birds and chocolate:

Ol' Donie wrote: »

OI!!! I love Cadbury's chocolate. :o:o:o:D:D;)

(I like Mars too, though. Wouldn't be too gone on Nestlé, except for Kit Kats and Rolos.)

Their current ads are iffy, I'll admit. But the gorilla ad deserves its near-legendary status, and the dancing clothes one ought to have this status too.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Jaysus I actually watched that ad before but didn't know I had seen it because I was concentrating so hard on the awful dubbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

"He's a wery dud santy" is back.

Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Hate that 3 ad with that silly cloud!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I like that 'Rather Be' song, but I despise how those M & S bastards have hi-jacked it and added horrible Christmas bells to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement