Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You'd wonder what kind of market research companies like Eir do, on their ads and what people think of them, after they air. I remember when their new ones debuted during the Late Late show. All it produced in the LLS thread, was a massive amount of
    > :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

That one where the kid is talkin to his neighbor about his car, and says "can't you afford an opel"
    They should be sued for insulting people through TV adverts. Opels are not the best car on the road anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sounds wrote: »
    That one where the kid is talkin to his neighbor about his car, and says "can't you afford an opel"
    They should be sued for insulting people through TV adverts. Opels are not the best car on the road anyway.

Not sure why they should be sued, but shockingly bad ad regardless!

EMar Sounds

Ok maybe not sued, but they should know better than insulting people because they're not using the opel brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

It's not an insult, it's a (poor) joke.

I think Opel are actually cheaper in Germany than the other big German car makers (BMW, Merc, VW), hence why it's funnier (or funny at all) there? The kid thinks the neighbour's more expensive new car was the cheap option because it lacks the same features, whereas an adult would know from the badge that it was actually the more budget-conscious option.

Another reason why dubbed ads are a terrible idea. Language translates, humour doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I thought the kids dad drove off in the same car, but with all the added extras...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm probably late posting this as I'm sure it's already been posted, but I hate the Denny Christmas ad.
    I especially hate when the girl says "He's a werry good Santy."

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

There's another awful ad for Orchard Thieves unfortunately!!

I'm in India so I haven't seen it (honestly!), but I'm going to take a stab at describing it.....

Lots of I'd imagine 24-30year old hipsters and wanna-be hipsters and/or hipsters trying loike so hord not to look too hipstery in faux revelry contrived social situation.....along with a killer piece of contrived "boldness' to end with an oh so clever and slightly smug voice over?

The thing with the first Orchard Thieves (worst name ever for a cider btw) and Hop House 13 ads is that they were both so generic they were completely interchangable. Honestly, if you removed all bottle shots and showed them for the first time to an audience they would assume beer and that's about it. there's simply no brand essence coming from these ads. They're so bland they're scary.

Dear Orchard Thieves Marketing Department, you claim 'bold' as a brand attribute, why can't you be bold in your advertising instead of playing it safe in the hope you research well and complete that particular tick-box exercise? There is nothing new, creative or bold in your ads. Right now, you stand for blandness.

FWIW, I work in Marketing. It's ads like these that drive me demented and make me want to question my career choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Dolce by Dolce and Gabana

If I was that boy sent to give her the flower I'd say Lia Lia the guy in the tree who was too lazy to walk over here said you gave him herpes

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Dolce by Dolce and Gabana

If I was that boy sent to give her the flower I'd say Lia Lia the guy in the tree who was too lazy to walk over here said you gave him herpes

Myself and the missus honestly thought that whole ad was a p*ss take. We were waiting for the funny culchie voice or whatever to kick in and it just didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Carphone Warehouse ad with Leigh Francis (Keith Lemon). Everything about it, his annoying lisp, the Wham backing music, the script. JUST EVERYTHING!

EMar Sounds

The electricity ads, I'm sara, I'm michele, I'm a text to speech woman's voice.
    If anything they have scared people into not using their service.. dark and dull, reminds me of rte.
    And the others where's he's in people's houses, slappin the kid on the hand when he turns on a light.
    My god, I'd love to meet the people that decided, yes!! we hit the nail on the head with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I'm in India so I haven't seen it (honestly!), but I'm going to take a stab at describing it.....

Lots of I'd imagine 24-30year old hipsters and wanna-be hipsters and/or hipsters trying loike so hord not to look too hipstery in faux revelry contrived social situation.....along with a killer piece of contrived "boldness' to end with an oh so clever and slightly smug voice over?

The thing with the first Orchard Thieves (worst name ever for a cider btw) and Hop House 13 ads is that they were both so generic they were completely interchangable. Honestly, if you removed all bottle shots and showed them for the first time to an audience they would assume beer and that's about it. there's simply no brand essence coming from these ads. They're so bland they're scary.

Dear Orchard Thieves Marketing Department, you claim 'bold' as a brand attribute, why can't you be bold in your advertising instead of playing it safe in the hope you research well and complete that particular tick-box exercise? There is nothing new, creative or bold in your ads. Right now, you stand for blandness.

FWIW, I work in Marketing. It's ads like these that drive me demented and make me want to question my career choice.

+1.

Orchard Thieves is a ridiculous name I agree but not half as ridiculous as these ads. Your description of these ads is 100% correct. I have seen many poor ads but these are the worst ever along with most of those insurance ads (but at least these are so bad they are funny whereas Orchard Thieves is just so bland they are bad). For me, the prize of worst ad of 2015 and indeed of recent years go to Orchard Thieves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭mark_79

Probably been posted two or three hundred times but this bitch does my head in. I'd like to take the head off her f****** shoulders with a meat cleaver tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JqVQDzEf5k

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That ad for Chanel aftershave or perfume or whatever with the song from Grease only sang in an I'm-about-to-die whingey style, as is the fashion in ads nowadays.

http://youtu.be/iBBeY6wSYDE

Honestly there are more ads out there that I despise than ones I like. Maybe I've just become more bitter over time, or maybe ads are just gone worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 82,656 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

And certainly not the Zafira model as it has a history of going on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

colm_mcm wrote: »

Honestly there are more ads out there that I despise than ones I like. Maybe I've just become more bitter over time, or maybe ads are just gone worse...

Meh, one causes the other. It's a vicious circle, what can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That ad for Chanel aftershave or perfume or whatever with the song from Grease only sang in an I'm-about-to-die whingey style, as is the fashion in ads nowadays.

http://youtu.be/iBBeY6wSYDE

That ad has just come on, and watching the "storyline".... Bloke dumps Giselle Bundchen & (presumably) their kid by leaving a note and buggering off..... Giselle mopes a bit, then drives into Chanel City, where said bloke is enjoying his freedom at a crap show...Giselle throws herself at him and is terrifically pleased to re-ensnare loser bloke.

I'm no raging feminist but ffs.....

EMar Sounds

Just sayin, forgot to pay my TV package, got cut off, had to watch rte for one night, I nearly didn't make it.
    Thank god for music.. it made me think though, I only watch one or two channels, gonna cancel my TV package in Jan
    Stream 'em to my TV for free.

That Sky Movies ad with the girl who doesn't want to eat her sprouts and apparently got dressed in the dark on Christmas day - I can't wait till that's gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

That Sky Movies ad with the girl who doesn't want to eat her sprouts and apparently got dressed in the dark on Christmas day - I can't wait till that's gone!

In her defence, Brussel Sprouts shouldn't be near a dinner plate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Another badly dubbed ad- Nurofen for Children. The mouths of the actors seem to be speaking english so I can only guess that the ad was originally made for the UK market and then they've gone and dubbed it with Irish accents, even though none of the actors look remotely Irish.

It never ceases to amaze me how big pharma companies making billions in profits every year can be so scabby with their advertising spends. Would it really have killed them to spend €20k on an Irish made ad with local actors for the Irish market? Seems it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The House of Fraser ad, just weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

madmaggie wrote: »
    The House of Fraser ad, just weird.

Ye don't own meeeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Ah stop, like a whole universe of mad Helena Bonham Carter types.

In her defence, Brussel Sprouts shouldn't be near a dinner plate :D

I agree about the sprouts, but jesus, I've never dressed well in my life but a pink cardigan, blue dress, yellow tights and converse runners!!

I've got dressed in the dark before and looked almost as good as that!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Another badly dubbed ad- Nurofen for Children. The mouths of the actors seem to be speaking english so I can only guess that the ad was originally made for the UK market and then they've gone and dubbed it with Irish accents, even though none of the actors look remotely Irish.

It never ceases to amaze me how big pharma companies making billions in profits every year can be so scabby with their advertising spends. Would it really have killed them to spend €20k on an Irish made ad with local actors for the Irish market? Seems it would.

I knew it would work for Leonardo!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

The ad for the Space Systems Vacuum Storage Bags. That really irritates me.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

gazump123 wrote: »
    The ad for the Space Systems Vacuum Storage Bags. That really irritates me.

But that's not all....

• Advertisement
    EMar Sounds

Imagine there are companies out there, teams of trained professionals? in a room and watching something they produced, that looks
    like trash to any sane person, could all agree that this is the best way to create advertisements for the company that's paying them.

I don't even want to think about the companies that pay them, I'd drive myself insane, maybe they have more money than brains
    And can afford to let crappy advertisements represent their business, many people avoid companies because of bad advertisements.

Name one business management, marketing, advertising course whatever, that says if you send out crap advertisements it will improve your business.
    The idea is to make viewers/listeners remember your service for something good, not something they hate or annoys them enough to never use your service.

Clueless

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement