Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

What kind of hope would that give you?

I'm tattooed myself. I can turn to Maccie Ds in an hour of need :D

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

YES! You did hear correctly.. HEARING AIDS!!

Kind of domineering

EMar Sounds

Or that one for BT with the chick doin the splits... and the voice on your man,
    Sounds like an mc I heard on a hardcore bootleg cassette back in the 90's

Cheap out lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,498 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I'm tattooed myself. I can turn to Maccie Ds in an hour of need :D

Aaah good man, delighted for you, HNY!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Those Aviva "aaargghhhh" ads. Hideous. There's one nearly everywhere you turn on youtube now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

blueser wrote: »
    Those Aviva "aaargghhhh" ads. Hideous. There's one nearly everywhere you turn on youtube now.

Are they not Allianz ads?

Aaaaaaaagh lianz?

amdublin wrote: »
    Are they not Allianz ads?

Aaaaaaaagh lianz?
    Correct. I'm glad you spotted the ,er, "deliberate mistake".
    :o

Where the fcuk did I get Aviva from?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

blueser wrote: »
    Correct. I'm glad you spotted the ,er, "deliberate mistake".
    :o

Where the fcuk did I get Aviva from?

Also, given that you're seeing them everywhere, clearly they're not very effective if they still can't even get viewers to remember who the ad was made by! :pac: :D

Wilberto wrote: »
    Also, given that you're seeing them everywhere, clearly they're not very effective if they still can't even get viewers to remember who the ad was made by! :pac: :D
    That's the problem I have with them; they literally make me turn them off or mute them and mentally shut what's left of my brain off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,351 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ads for the late late show where they cut & edit past guests speaking to get a load of soundbites to make it sound like the show is excellent.

EMar Sounds

Those bloody ads for foot scrubbers, you'd see them tipping their foot skin dust into the bin.
    Or you're in the middle of eating something nice and that ad for coughs and flem... jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Sounds wrote: »
    Those bloody ads for foot scrubbers, you'd see them tipping their foot skin dust into the bin.
    Or you're in the middle of eating something nice and that ad for coughs and flem... jesus

The foot ads, holy **** they're revolting. I was grating parmesan into pasta once when the ad came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭cornholiooo

I hate
    *those ads begging for money, the meercat foundation, adopt a polar bear. Personally I would be reluctant to adopt anything that would eat me at the first possible opportunity.
    * ads for moneylenders, there all so chirpy and upbeat, in stark contrast to the extortionate interest rates in the tiny print at the bottom
    * ads for personal injury legal representation, there patronizing, unimaginative and expose a certain parasitic element in the profession. Underdog etc... he looks so sad someone should set up a a foundation to adopt him.
    * ads for claiming back ppi from financial institutions, so annoying. "Are you unsure, nervous,;wary, or just dont know. Ffs

Common theme in all of the above is money. Theres no depths that wont be plumbed to try relieve us of some of it. Most at risk are the more vulnerable in our societies, the infirm, mentally fragile, people of lower intelligence and limited means.

Its good to vent

EMar Sounds

I hate
    *those ads begging for money, the meercat foundation, adopt a polar bear. Personally I would be reluctant to adopt anything that would eat me at the first possible opportunity.
    * ads for moneylenders, there all so chirpy and upbeat, in stark contrast to the extortionate interest rates in the tiny print at the bottom
    * ads for personal injury legal representation, there patronizing, unimaginative and expose a certain parasitic element in the profession. Underdog etc... he looks so sad someone should set up a a foundation to adopt him.
    * ads for claiming back ppi from financial institutions, so annoying. "Are you unsure, nervous,;wary, or just dont know. Ffs

Common theme in all of the above is money. Theres no depths that wont be plumbed to try relieve us of some of it. Most at risk are the more vulnerable in our societies, the infirm, mentally fragile, people of lower intelligence and limited means.

Its good to vent

Maybe I'm wrong, but shouldn't all charities have a storage facility where they can tell people to send dry foods and water, blankets etc?

Instead of asking for money, they should have the infrastructure to deliver these goods to people that need them.

Maybe I'm wrong, but shouldn't all charities have a storage facility where they can tell people to send dry foods and water, blankets etc?

Instead of asking for money, they should have the infrastructure to deliver these goods to people that need them.

Surely that infrastructure would still cost money?

EMar Sounds

Surely that infrastructure would still cost money?

I know what you mean, they obviously depend on donations then.
    Just feel like some people might prefer the option to buy some food. water, clothes, meds.

I know what you mean, they obviously depend on donations then.
    Just feel like some people might prefer the option to buy some food. water, clothes, meds.

They'd probably also like the option to not donate their money to help pay a CEO a six figure salary. Makes the ads for the big charities very hard to stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I hate

Its good to vent

most of these ads are english based , and are aimed at a specific audience mainly during the day or very early evening , you rarely see them on prime time between say 7- 11;30 at night when most people are watching tv

you would imagine if charities were serious about raising money they would advertise at a better time then 10 o'clock in the morning

and yeah the wonga and money shop adverts are aimed at students and people out of work hence the timing of there adverts also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

most of these ads are english based , and are aimed at a specific audience mainly during the day or very early evening , you rarely see them on prime time between say 7- 11;30 at night when most people are watching tv
    Prime time ads cost a hell of a lot more. On RTE in the morning you will see those extended ads for shower units and blenders, sort of fake review programs. Makes sense to see low budget adverts later one, shown for low budget prices.

you would imagine if charities were serious about raising money they would advertise at a better time then 10 o'clock in the morning
    maybe charities are worried about been seen to be squandering money on ads. It would certainly have a negative effect on me if I saw an advert for any charity on tv, knowing money is being spent on it. The phrase "we are a business, not a charity" has lost all meaning to many people.
    rubadub wrote: »
    I cannot put my finger on what song(s?) they are ripping off..
    That apache pizza ad is possibly ripping off the happy mondays cover of "step on", I will have to hear it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

At least with monetary donations, a charity could buy supplies in bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

rubadub wrote: »

That apache pizza ad is possibly ripping off the happy mondays cover of "step on", I will have to hear it again.

thats actually what i taught but it did seem just a bit too happy to compere the too

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

At least with monetary donations, a charity could buy supplies in bulk.

Yep, and they get to buy exactly what they need, well in advance.
    Getting donations is all well and good, but you need volunteers or employees to sort it all, you need a lot more warehouse space.
    If the charity works abroad, it can be better to source stuff from abroad rather than sending it from Ireland. Moving stuff around is a lot more difficult when it's all odds and ends. You can end up throwing stuff away because it isn't up to standard or just isn't needed.
    For small local organisations like homeless shelters, soup kitchens etc, donations of stuff are always in demand. But sending a bigger charity odds and ends just isn't practical.

Sorry way off topic. just something I've had a little experience of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I saw a mad ad on More 4, I think it was for an online travel booking crowd. Eejits chasing sheep around a mountain side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I see those Rachel and Steve ads are back again. I hadn't seen them for a while and thought they were gone for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In relation to the charity ads. A worrying trend has started where charities are trying to fool people into texting a number for making a donation out of their credit/phone bill when in reality it's just giving them your number so that they can call you and start chugging over the phone.

Those BetVictor ads that were on a while baqck, with Paul Kaye. He used to be funny-ish (remember Dennis Pennis?). But those ads were painful to watch. And as for Victor Chandler himself; he's got the personality of a ping poll ball.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You know the denny ad, the one with the little girl on the pink bicycle. Aside from me not knowing what the child says, at the end of the ad the mother goes "Im tired after santy coming are you Paul(the dad)?" and he says yes. I always feel like shes about to say "So why dont mammy and daddy go back to bed for a half an hour, ;);) nudge nudge".

Maybe advertising standards cut the last line.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement