Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I hate these Medifacts ads which pretend to be impartial advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Another one drives a Duster.

Into a tree hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Another one drives a Duster.

Into a tree hopefully.

At first I liked it but repetition ruins a good ad.

That Lidl/ladies football ad really annoys me. It's just an ad complaining that men get more coverage etc than the women. Such a chip on their shoulder.

Any ad with the lovely Sinead Goldrick is a worthy ad imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i know this is for ads we hate but the kingsmill bread ad is class, the young one in it is unreal in her school uniform!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

why are so many ads now with scandinavian accents on voiceovers such as AJ PRODUCTS, little scandinavians think teir great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What the hell is that Carrolls Ham ad all about? The one with the neglected looking child with the messy hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭dee_mc

syklops wrote: »
    What the hell is that Carrolls Ham ad all about? The one with the neglected looking child with the messy hair.

I think the other child is supposed to have cut the neglected child's hair, and possibly given the dog a bit of a trim too. I was flummoxed by it and had to rewind and watch it again and that's what I came up with anyway. One of those ideas that probably looked good on paper but whatit has to do with ham, I have no idea.

I'm just as baffled, my boyfriend suggested that at least they're feeding them nice ham if they're not looking after them otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭Comhrá

This one gets my award for the most pathetic, stupid advert of the past year.
    Really p*sses me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

dee_mc wrote: »
    I think the other child is supposed to have cut the neglected child's hair, and possibly given the dog a bit of a trim too. I was flummoxed by it and had to rewind and watch it again and that's what I came up with anyway. One of those ideas that probably looked good on paper but whatit has to do with ham, I have no idea.

Between the Carrolls ham ads and the Brady Family ham ads as well as regular Denny ham ones I'm wondering is Ireland in the middle of some sort of Ham War. I don't think I can ever remember as many ham advertisements as what we see these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

Not to mention shouty Bord Bia guy bellowing about HAM

I've been wondering about the Carroll's ad too. Seems like 'our lives are wretched and meaningless and we have nothing to eat but this horrible cooked ham', which hardly makes me want to rush out and buy some.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

mmg0305 wrote: »

I've been wondering about the Carroll's ad too. Seems like 'our lives are wretched and meaningless and we have nothing to eat but this horrible cooked ham', which hardly makes me want to rush out and buy some.
    Remember the Brady's ham ad from a few months back? "Real ham coming through". As Quint said in Jaws; Jesus H Christ.

syklops wrote: »

Ok I had a better look at it just now, and can confirm as another poster said that it appears the little boy has taken it upon himself to give the girl and the doggy haircuts.

Cause that's what sells ham.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

tippman1 wrote: »
    This one gets my award for the most pathetic, stupid advert of the past year.
    Really p*sses me.

Amazingly, I actually like that ad! :pac:

Oooooooh! :D

The sequel is absolutely terrible though. It's like they tried to do the same as the first, but better. That's always a bad move.

Ok I had a better look at it just now, and can confirm as another poster said that it appears the little boy has taken it upon himself to give the girl and the doggy haircuts.

Cause that's what sells ham.

Well I shouldnt need a decoder ring and strangers from the internet to decipher what is going on in an ad that sells ham.

I was on a focus group years ago to vet a couple of ads. One was for Miller which I quite liked and never saw again. The other ad was three or four football stars playing a game of keepy-uppy, I think it was for Pepsi. All the other people in the group loved it. The researcher asked what they liked about it and the response was "Its brilliant!". And why is it brilliant? "Its just... brilliant".

So I accept they have a difficult job creating ads that people like, but who ever vetted that ad should have been taken out back and beaten with a leg of lamb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

mmg0305 wrote: »

That's pretty much what it's like living in Offaly.Our lives are miserable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

What is the deal with the add where a mom & dad are looking at their son who is in a lab coat & their daughter with ruffled hair?

Has that also something to do with ham?

What is the deal with the add where a mom & dad are looking at their son who is in a lab coat & their daughter with ruffled hair?

Thats the one I was complaining about. Carrols Ham. Supposedly the son took a scissors to the sisters hair and had a go with the dog. I dont get the labcoat, even after the ad was explained to me. What it has to do with ham I have no idea. I'd be happy to say it is the worst ad on television at the moment.

I see a lot of stick for the vodafone ads but I think the blonde is absolutely adorable and so dont mind the ad. My only bugbear is when the Ma comes in "Mary!.......Pleased to meet you".

Every time I hear her pause after Mary, I sort of imagine Mary is the name of the blonde one and she is actually the illegitimate daughter the Ma gave up years ago. So Vodafone man has been snogging his sister on the couch for the last few weeks.

I know that sounds f^%ked up, but the way she says "Mary!" <massive pause> it just feels like she knows her.

Also when the kids come in and go "Suue!" like she is just back from an around the world journey irks me a little. But the blonde chick can definitely stay in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Waterford whispers had a go at Steve & Rachel/ Rachel & steve.

Neighbour Wanted In Connection With Double Murder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I don't think it's a lab coat, it's one of those old fashioned barbershop coats.

Dire ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

rubadub wrote: »
    Waterford whispers had a go at Steve & Rachel/ Rachel & steve.

Neighbour Wanted In Connection With Double Murder

I know what I'd like to do to Rachel and it's not murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

The AIB club championship as when your man is roaring about "I want to go to croke park on paddys day lads, I want it more than anything in the world"

The energia "cheep purr" ad is also a head wreck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

My curiosity got the better of me over that Carrolls ham ad.Having watched it I have to admit defeat,I have no fecking idea what the connection with ham is either.It looks like it might be the start of a series of ads featuring that family,I really hope I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

That's pretty much what it's like living in Offaly.Our lives are miserable here.

:D

I saw that ad once or twice, and hadn't a clue why the child had that hair 'style'.
    I don't think I even noticed other details until I saw it mentioned here. Still no clue about what it is to do with ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Also.... the family have an entire joint of cured & crumbled ham on their table!

ham.jpg

This is like €100 worth of ham... right there, waiting to be licked by their pet dog.

Who has that much ham!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

flazio wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that Trebor mints ad comes across as homophobic?

Get a grip!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Omackeral wrote: »
    Get a grip!

I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭storker

All those fake-conversation radio ads. In fact, 90% of all radio advertising just sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I like the Rachel & Steve/Steve & Rachel ad, there I said it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement