Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I like the Rachel & Steve/Steve & Rachel ad, there I said it.

out.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Another terribly dubbed as is that Excedrin one. Why do ad agencies do it? Most of these companies advertising in multiple countries can well afford to make adverts in each country.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe they've done research that says people remember badly dubbed ads better, and will actually be more likely to buy after seeing a badly dubbed ad than if they'd done it properly. Maybe there's no foreign version of that ad and they've deliberately made it look dubbed to seem more exotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

The New Supermacs one with Pat McDonagh and Sean O'Brien going on about the beef quality in their new 5 oz burger, pure cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

That Apache Pizza add. Oh God just go away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Oh, Meteor. Will you just take your zany and f*ck off.

"The horse playing the recorder with his nose is back!"

OMG, like, that's just so random, like. You guys are crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Another vote for the Meteor ads!

"Because we get you" - You "Get" that people somehow like being charged double and given half of what three offers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Between the Carrolls ham ads and the Brady Family ham ads as well as regular Denny ham ones I'm wondering is Ireland in the middle of some sort of Ham War. I don't think I can ever remember as many ham advertisements as what we see these days.

The folks at Shaws don't seem too interested in taking part in this Ham War - it's been a while since I last saw their products being promoted.

5011037912377.jpg

Their ads were better than the Carrolls one, though - even if the slogan "Inspired by tradition" probably got old fast.

The cat and budgie in the Energia ad, meanwhile, were supplied by an animal training centre near Rathangan. Too bad they forgot, just like everyone else involved in the making of the ad, that cats and budgies should never be creepy...

http://www.kildarenow.com/news/kildare-firm-supplies-cat-and-budgie-for-tv-ad/50534

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

storker wrote: »
    All those fake-conversation radio ads. In fact, 90% of all radio advertising just sucks.

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The coca cola ad with the two brothers.

The bullying from the older brother is crap to start with. the weedy group of other bullies are terrible, the 'aggressive' step to scare them off... (ugh) and then the face on the brother at the end "Oh ho ho you got me, you're so nice and cool".

Ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The coca cola ad with the two brothers.

The bullying from the older brother is crap to start with. the weedy group of other bullies are terrible, the 'aggressive' step to scare them off... (ugh) and then the face on the brother at the end "Oh ho ho you got me, you're so nice and cool".

Ugh.

Not to mention, the older fella could damn near chip the little fella's tooth when he hits the glass bottle he's drinking out of.

Ps- you can't even buy glass bottles out of shops, the whole thing is a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I didn't think it was possible for an add to annoy me more than the car insurance one with Katie Taylor in it but the one with the oul fella, the blonde and the pig does just that.

smilerf wrote: »
    That Apache Pizza add. Oh God just go away

Pray there isnt another election and it should be gone soon. If there is another election, I reckon it'll be around for a while.

I'll admit I like the premise, but in our house any add with someone shouting or some other assault on the sense gets muted/paused sharpish. The road safety ad with the weird music gets paused everytime and then I skip past it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Omackeral wrote: »
    Not to mention, the older fella could damn near chip the little fella's tooth when he hits the glass bottle he's drinking out of.

You can n European and the actors look European

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the Aldi advert with the wife grinning as she makes some smoothie concoction that the guy clearly doesnt want to drink.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    the Aldi advert with the wife grinning as she makes some smoothie concoction that the guy clearly doesnt want to drink.

Considering they are trying to advertise fruit and vegetables, its a really bad ad. Instead of gloopy green gunge, they could make a tasty looking smoothie by choosing different colours.

I can think of only one green drink I enjoy drinking and its not a smootie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Gloopy green gunge, eh?

That's what Bart and Milhouse's all-syrup Super Squishy looks like. And look what it does to them... :o:o:D:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Omackeral wrote: »

I think you can get them in Mr.Price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

For as little as £2 a month you can help teach the pianist from the Save The Donkeys/Children/Whales a new tune

No longer will he have to play the same sad pinky plonky tune in every as

Just £2 a month can stop the suffering

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

syklops wrote: »
    Considering they are trying to advertise fruit and vegetables, its a really bad ad. Instead of gloopy green gunge, they could make a tasty looking smoothie by choosing different colours.

I can think of only one green drink I enjoy drinking and its not a smootie.

To be fair, that's just their attempt at humour. The voice over even says at the end "What you do with them is up to you", so I wouldn't call it a bad ad from that perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

silverharp wrote: »

I think that's quite funny when he jumps every time she turns on the blender. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Getting pretty tired of the further adventures of Pigman.
    The first one was very mildly amusing at best. Time to give it a rest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I didn't think it was possible for an add to annoy me more than the car insurance one with Katie Taylor in it but the one with the oul fella, the blonde and the pig does just that.

Totally miscast. Looks like a 50 year old who scored himself a 20 something.

The Ma walks in and he says, "Look Ma! I might look nearly the same age as you, but it didn't hold me back. I've scored meself an impressionable 22 year old with daddy issues!"

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Saw the Supermacs ad with Pat McDonagh and Sean O'Brien for the first time last night and it is just awful. It looked like it was scripted in-house (as opposed to an agency) and shot on a camcorder.

Let's start with the labelling of Sean O'Brien:
    BEEF FARMER,
    RUGBY INTERNATIONAL
    IRELAND & LEINSTER

Why doesn't it just say "Rugby player"? Is Leinster a country now?

The dialogue is so forced and it's overloaded with sound-bytes. It reminds me of the Fasinex ads from the 1980s where you had two people discussing the benefits of worming cattle. If you dissect it further however, it's USP is the fact that the burger is fresh (not frozen) actually sh*ts all over the rest of the company's burgers as they are.....well, frozen. So you've just indirectly dissed a large proportion of your offering. Genius.

The scene however where Pat is cooking the burger is the worst; half the burger is cooked, the top half is a horrible pinky-red colour (yes I know this is what meat looks like when being cooked but a more appetising shot would have been the whole burger fully cooked). And the belly on Pat McDonagh.....wow.

http://www.joe.ie/sport/video-the-new-sean-obrien-supermacs-ad-is-everything-we-could-have-hoped-for/530027

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Vodafone pigman doesn't look that old does he? I'd put him at early 40s, the woman is probably late 20s. It's not that unusual for people with a 12-15 age gap to hook up.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The other thing that bugs me about pig man is that he clearly lives in the backarse of nowhere and shouldn't be able to get Vodafone TV in the first place.
    The ad is all over YouTube, any time I click on a video, it's 50:50 that it'll come on first.
    Time to make a lovely full-Irish out of Sue methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Thats my own cognitive bias creeping in methinks. In my head I'm thinking he looks at least 10 to 15 years older than me. I'm 42, so the age range that comes to mind is early 50's. I sometimes forget though that I actually look a lot younger than my age and anyone who has to guess always says 26. (I'd be a bit more conservative myself and say 30 but it does seem I have a Ralph Macchio Karate Kid thing goin on :D ) So someone who looks about 10 to 15 years older than the age I apparently look as opposed to the age I actually am would indeed put them in their early 40's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

was ralph maccio old in karate kid he definitly sounded older than 15 big husky voice like he smokd 20 a day. i always think he shuld have been in goodfellas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Calibos wrote: »
    Totally miscast. Looks like a 50 year old who scored himself a 20 something.

The Ma walks in and he says, "Look Ma! I might look nearly the same age as you, but it didn't hold me back. I've scored meself an impressionable 22 year old with daddy issues!"
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    The other thing that bugs me about pig man is that he clearly lives in the backarse of nowhere and shouldn't be able to get Vodafone TV in the first place.
    The ad is all over YouTube, any time I click on a video, it's 50:50 that it'll come on first.
    Time to make a lovely full-Irish out of Sue methinks

I'm going to think of these posts every time I see that ad :D

I saw a comment elsewhere, the guy arrives home one day to a lovely dinner of bacon and cabbage. Eats it , then asks 'where's Sue?' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

That Vodafone TV one is starting to do my nut in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement