Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The New Supermacs one with Pat McDonagh and Sean O'Brien going on about the beef quality in their new 5 oz burger, pure cringe.

yeah I'm not a fan of that one either but mainly because I'm not a fan of Pat McDonoagh who went to the courts to try to get his employees wages reduced.
    Ms Daly said two of Ireland’s richest men were “leading the charge” in legally challenging the agreements. She said the founder of the Quick Service Food Alliance, owner of Supermacs Pat McDonagh, was legally challenging the JLCs.
    “Pat has managed to leap up to position 68 on Ireland’s rich list, up from 139 in 2009. He has managed to increase his profits despite a fall in revenue” and was “already making a fortune off the backs of his workers”.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/richest-men-challenging-overtime-pay-ula-claims-1.602707

Supermacs posted a profit of €7.4m in 2013 and expanded nicely during the recession with new motorway outlets opened and others on the way. Then he bought four hotels and also has a chain of pubs in the US. Yet Pat still didn't have enough moolah in his pocket so decided to take a legal challenge to have a go at dipping his employees for some more. If he was in financial trouble and closing down premises I could understand a wage cut but he has been making more hay than most during the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,223 ✭✭✭squonk

I think the Vodafone ads are getting overexposed at this point. They're not bad ads but the number of times they're shown makes them grate on you. I alsways seem to see the nosey family one. The mother is way overplayed on that one.

As for the guy himself, he's in his 40's but so am I and I think I look younger. I think it's the beard that's aging him to be honest. Mary looks to be in her 20's. I guess the advertisers wanted to cover all bases or perhaps they felt that a woman in her 30's/early 40's wasn't the image they wanted to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Heineken "this is not Antonio Banderss" ad.

The Guinness ad which continues the 'made of more' theme of latching on to something that has nothing to do with Diageo or drinking Guinness is annoying me at the moment too.
    Celebrating John Hammond, the Columbia records producer, who was a huge force for good in the music industry is all well and good, but it annoys me how they build this brand identity for what is basically just drink on the back of people or fictitious situations like their wheelchair basketball ad, which I found was completely patronising to wheelchair users.

Deep breaths...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The Heineken "this is not Antonio Banderss" ad.

The Guinness ad which continues the 'made of more' theme of latching on to something that has nothing to do with Diageo or drinking Guinness is annoying me at the moment too.
    Celebrating John Hammond, the Columbia records producer, who was a huge force for good in the music industry is all well and good, but it annoys me how they build this brand identity for what is basically just drink on the back of people or fictitious situations like their wheelchair basketball ad, which I found was completely patronising to wheelchair users.

Deep breaths...

Yeah the real ones bother me more than the fictional ones, because it's such obvious glomming on to the real achievements of others with no real justification. Like a normal celebrity endorsement is the same principle but at least they choose to be involved and get a wedge of money. But the Munster rugby players who went out and beat the All Blacks? They presumably got the square root of nothing, and their victory had absolutely **** all to do with Diageo and their army of parasitic advertising sh1ts. So why should Guinness be able to profit off their blood and sweat?

I'm getting annoyed that Sue isn't growing up at all. I was part of a thread in the animal forum here where someone mentioned the idiocy of some people wanting a pet lamb, or a pet duckling, not realising the feckers grow up into adult animals. Sue isn't a miniature pot belly or anything like that. Sue needs to get big and smelly and booted out of the house and turned into rashers before pigs become the next animal clogging up rescues (Donkey from Shrek, terrapins after TMNT...)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I'm getting annoyed that Sue isn't growing up at all. I was part of a thread in the animal forum here where someone mentioned the idiocy of some people wanting a pet lamb, or a pet duckling, not realising the feckers grow up into adult animals. Sue isn't a miniature pot belly or anything like that. Sue needs to get big and smelly and booted out of the house and turned into rashers before pigs become the next animal clogging up rescues (Donkey from Shrek, terrapins after TMNT...)

Don't forget the pet chimp that ripped that womans face off.Michael Jackson and Bubbles had a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

That Vodafone TV one is starting to do my nut in

The actor in it looks very like one of the lads that was in How Low Can You Go with Baz. Same guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Saw an ad this evening for Dublin (I think) Airport, in which the voiceover was extolling the airport's virtues. One of them a was that you can avail of immigration "pre-clearance for North American destinations". Just after that, the small print pops up on the screen - "Immigration pre-clearance not available for Canadian destinations"

WTF????

Why not just state "United States destinations" then?

Fcuking gob****es!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

One thing that really annoys me about the vodafone ad is the remote. Looks like a piece of **** that would break if you drop it.

• Advertisement

Shannon757 wrote: »
    One thing that really annoys me about the vodafone ad is the remote. Looks like a piece of **** that would break if you drop it.

You must have a really, really high tolerance for bullsh1t if the remote is the thing that bothers you!! I wish I had the same!

You must have a really, really high tolerance for bullsh1t if the remote is the thing that bothers you!! I wish I had the same!

I find the principle of the ad poor enough but I just really bugs me how flimsy the remote looks compared to a sky remote for example.

The tv box itself looks a multichannel box from the 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The pig ad is a copy of a NZ vodafone ad, at least they were not dubbing!

Lara Keane2 weeks ago
    This is a remake of the Irish ad �� still hilarious

Vodafone New Zealand
    Vodafone New Zealand2 weeks ago
    +Lara Keane It was done here first :)

Just did a bit of snooping, pigmans name is Michael Hayes, he's 40 and from Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just did a bit of snooping, pigmans name is Michael Hayes, he's 40 and from Navan.

it was mentioned further back the thread, he was on an RTE travel program back in the day called How Low can you go? about three lads travelling Australia. Baz Ashmahy was in it too

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

KBC ad with hipster couple dancing around to that "I am what I am song". Yuck

LaGlisse wrote: »
    KBC ad with hipster couple dancing around to that "I am what I am song". Yuck

I hate hipsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I hate hipsters.

...and now McGregor has scobes starting to style themselves like Hipsters too :rolleyes:

Calibos wrote: »
    Totally miscast. Looks like a 50 year old who scored himself a 20 something.

The Ma walks in and he says, "Look Ma! I might look nearly the same age as you, but it didn't hold me back. I've scored meself an impressionable 22 year old with daddy issues!"

I haven't been fair to the chap.

Two things.

Saw a picture of him without the reddish and grey facial hair.

Saw myself in the mirror after a few lazy days off and not shaving. ie. No grey hairs on my head, Clean shaven with my non sun damaged skin is part of the reason I look a lot younger than my 42 years. However my chin and jawline facial hair has quite a lot of grey. After letting it grow a few days there I looked a lot older and I can see that that is likely whats happening to Michael Hayes as well to some degree.

Now back to a face thats as smooth as a babies bum with those grey follicles keep hidden :D

• Advertisement

The energia "cheep purr" ad is also a head wreck
    Yea I agree - the ad is so annoying - but you've got to love the cat. It has to be the best cat-actor ever. Watch the scowl and the way it flicks one ear, and then the other, just as the ad ends.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I hate hipsters.

You don't feel sorry for the poor fella that has Rachel and Steve swarming all over him every time he leaves the house.

You don't feel sorry for the poor fella that has Rachel and Steve swarming all over him every time he leaves the house.

Ahem...

It's Steve and Rachel...

Well I have to feel sorry for him, even if I hate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭Comhrá

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

That ad for Carrolls ham with the demonic looking kid in the white suit, presumably his sister opposite him playing with her hair and a patchy dog?? What is it about at all or what has it to do with ham???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Realbhoy wrote: »
    That ad for Carrolls ham with the demonic looking kid in the white suit, presumably his sister opposite him playing with her hair and a patchy dog?? What is it about at all or what has it to do with ham???

Have a look at post 8828 and a good few after it on this thread, that ad has been dissected and results have been inconclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Realbhoy wrote: »

I'm at a loss too!

Could it be that they are trying to emphasize that people should take as much care of their kids as Carrolls do of their ham?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Saw an ad this evening for Dublin (I think) Airport, in which the voiceover was extolling the airport's virtues. One of them a was that you can avail of immigration "pre-clearance for North American destinations". Just after that, the small print pops up on the screen - "Immigration pre-clearance not available for Canadian destinations"

WTF????

Why not just state "United States destinations" then?

Fcuking gob****es!

Do you know how many countries are in North America? 23. United States is 1. Canada is 2.Others include:

Haiti
    Honduras
    Barbados
    Jamaica
    Mexico
    Trinidad
    Panama.

[snip]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

What's Central America then? Just wondering, like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement