Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Give the Dog a phone :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Welllll who stole the cookie from the cookie jar

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

That ad is absolutely hilarious.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Welllll who stole the cookie from the cookie jar
    How long have they been showing some of these ads? Surely they must have spent the whole increase in sales on tv ads by now, they're not cheap and Ireland is a tiny market.

"Its my brain, tell me what you gonna do, Im going to suck it right straight to you..."

I dont even know what these fcuking songs are advertising and they've been on for years at this stage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Thargor wrote: »
    How long have they been showing some of these ads? Surely they must have spent the whole increase in sales on tv ads by now, they're not cheap and Ireland is a tiny market.

"Its my brain, tell me what you gonna do, Im going to suck it right straight to you..."

I dont even know what these fcuking songs are advertising and they've been on for years at this stage...

Not as long as the Specsavers bingo ad. That must be going 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mansize wrote: »
    Precocious children in ads do me wrong.
    And the ones making out kids to be idiots spouting out nonsense.

There was some ad from the 80s or early 90s where I first remember it. Kids being filmed asked to describe something, like how soft a towel was for a detergent fabric softener, "ohhh, its as soft as fluffy clouds". It was OK at the time, new and seemed genuine enough.

They have started copying that again on several ads and its blatantly obvious it is not kids coming up with the sayings they use. Think one says "as clean as a squid" or something odd like that.

off topic, I always wondered how acting seems to be exempt from child labour laws.

I hate the coors ad with Van Damme on the snowy mountain, only copped on it was him in the ad where he says it, just thought it was some weird prick with a mullet before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭dee_mc

rubadub wrote: »
    And the ones making out kids to be idiots spouting out nonsense.

There was some ad from the 80s or early 90s where I first remember it. Kids being filmed asked to describe something, like how soft a towel was for a detergent fabric softener, "ohhh, its as soft as fluffy clouds". It was OK at the time, new and seemed genuine enough.

They have started copying that again on several ads and its blatantly obvious it is not kids coming up with the sayings they use. Think one says "as clean as a squid" or something odd like that.

off topic, I always wondered how acting seems to be exempt from child labour laws.

I hate the coors ad with Van Damme on the snowy mountain, only copped on it was him in the ad where he says it, just thought it was some weird prick with a mullet before.

'as clean as gold pants'
    That ad gives me a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Found the original I remember, from 1988

and the horrible new copies if you're a masochist.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

those stupid not thinking about bord gais ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I see whiney "waiting for my b*lls to drop" voiceover guy is now doing another ad, not only do we have to put up with this insufferable bore and his grating tones for 3 mobile and RTE Sport promotion. This gremlin is now doing the voiceover for SuperValu , anytime I hear his wailing voice, I hit the mute button, surely to goodness, they could get someone better to do it!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,498 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I see whiney "waiting for my b*lls to drop" voiceover guy is now doing another ad, not only do we have to put up with this insufferable bore and his grating tones for 3 mobile and RTE Sport promotion. This gremlin is now doing the voiceover for SuperValu , anytime I hear his wailing voice, I hit the mute button, surely to goodness, they could get someone better to do it!!!!!!

Who IS this guy

Yeah HTF is this guy on tv? Terrible tinny voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Hickeys are using the backing track from Will.I.Am & Danny from The Script's "Hall of Fame" in their new ad. Just...WHY?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

The new drink driving ad is more like a short film than an advertisement.

matthew8 wrote: »
    The new drink driving ad is more like a short film than an advertisement.

Yes, and it's a bit cringey. All for getting the point out there but it goes on far too long.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Yeah, it's along the same vain as the barman ad which I think is undoubtedly superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

To be fair, all the previous drink driving ads featuring a tragic end to a series of stupid acts, accompanied by whiney angsty soundtrack have universally lost their impact after the first airing. This ad, while cringey, very simply explains what is likely to happen if you drive over the limit, without any histrionics. Might just make someone considering driving to work tomorrow after boozing all day today think twice. A lot of ads annoy me, but ANY ad trying to lessen the incidences of drink driving is okay in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

The Van Damme ads for Coors Beer. The man cant act and he couldnt sell beer to an alcoholic.

nikpmup wrote: »
    To be fair, all the previous drink driving ads featuring a tragic end to a series of stupid acts, accompanied by whiney angsty soundtrack have universally lost their impact after the first airing. This ad, while cringey, very simply explains what is likely to happen if you drive over the limit, without any histrionics. Might just make someone considering driving to work tomorrow after boozing all day today think twice. A lot of ads annoy me, but ANY ad trying to lessen the incidences of drink driving is okay in my book.

Good review, and I think the ad is great, but it goes on longer than Fair City. It needs to be cut back a bit. Otherwise you know, we just wont watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Good review, and I think the ad is great, but it goes on longer than Fair City. It needs to be cut back a bit. Otherwise you know, we just wont watch.

I would imagine a shortened edit of it will go out soon. I reckon the full length ad was specifically to target people driving to work this morning. I dunno, the length of the ad caught my attention; I watched it all and took.it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

nikpmup wrote: »
    I watched it all and took.it in.

Which is testament that it is effective. How often have we heard the term "If it saves only one life"

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

The virgin ad where the sister leaves the 3 kids with her brother short notice for a meeding.. That's meeting in dort... By the way..where's the kid's dad in all this...you could imagine the snide comments on politics.ie if year one was from some working class area ...

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jones 19

The stupid look on Richard Branson's face after he high fives your man in the Virgin media ad. A one take scene. Like the radio ad.' Hi I'm Richard Branson '

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

How long does a bottle of washin-up liquid actually last??
    Could you imagine your child waitin that long to make a space ship! while you read the paper.
    Yea son get back to me in 3 months..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

"I genuinely, genuinely, believe we are going to win today. I am a hundred per cent convinced we will win."

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

denlaw wrote: »
    The virgin ad where the sister leaves the 3 kids with her brother short notice for a meeding.. That's meeting in dort... By the way..where's the kid's dad in all this...you could imagine the snide comments on politics.ie if year one was from some working class area ...
    jones 19 wrote: »
    The stupid look on Richard Branson's face after he high fives your man in the Virgin media ad. A one take scene. Like the radio ad.' Hi I'm Richard Branson '

Yeah and the brother has no broadband at 5pm on a Friday evening yet has it shortly later after Virgin send him a router by drone delivery. Sure it takes at least 12 hours to get through to support ffs.

Must ring them up & insist i need a new router in the next hour by drone please....

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

I know its a take the piss section about ads but the looking back car ad us the saddest thing you'll see on tv

denlaw wrote: »
    I know its a take the piss section about ads but the looking back car ad us the saddest thing you'll see on tv

Indeed, the RSA always do well with their advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,223 ✭✭✭squonk

Two things that really annoy me at this point and I wish they'd stop showing the ads because of it.

1. AIB kid riding around on his bike doing a survey of the neighbourhood. I wish the house he knocked on the door of was inhabited by a bunch of tough career criminals who robbed is bike and beat him up. "Is she diesel"?? F off you little bollix!

2. Vodafone Mary. That ad where she and beardyman are sitting on the couch and she whines "Oh we missed it!". Honestly Mary it's just a program. It's not the end of the world but seems to be to you by the way you whine. Honestly that kind of whyngyness would be a massive deal breaker for me and she'd be off the couch and out the door faster than a flash of lightening, even faster when she wasn't practical enugh to download or grab the remote herself. She sounds needy and helpless!

• Advertisement

squonk wrote: »
    Two things that really annoy me at this point and I wish they'd stop showing the ads because of it.

1. AIB kid riding around on his bike doing a survey of the neighbourhood. I wish the house he knocked on the door of was inhabited by a bunch of tough career criminals who robbed is bike and beat him up. "Is she diesel"?? F off you little bollix!

2. Vodafone Mary. That ad where she and beardyman are sitting on the couch and she whines "Oh we missed it!". Honestly Mary it's just a program. It's not the end of the world but seems to be to you by the way you whine. Honestly that kind of whyngyness would be a massive deal breaker for me and she'd be off the couch and out the door faster than a flash of lightening, even faster when she wasn't practical enugh to download or grab the remote herself. She sounds needy and helpless!

Even worse for Mary is that homeless Dermot Bannon just brought her over for Netflix and chill while his mother seems to think he wants to put a ring on her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement