Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

squonk wrote: »
    Two things that really annoy me at this point and I wish they'd stop showing the ads because of it.

1. AIB kid riding around on his bike doing a survey of the neighbourhood. I wish the house he knocked on the door of was inhabited by a bunch of tough career criminals who robbed is bike and beat him up. "Is she diesel"?? F off you little bollix!

2. Vodafone Mary. That ad where she and beardyman are sitting on the couch and she whines "Oh we missed it!". Honestly Mary it's just a program. It's not the end of the world but seems to be to you by the way you whine. Honestly that kind of whyngyness would be a massive deal breaker for me and she'd be off the couch and out the door faster than a flash of lightening, even faster when she wasn't practical enugh to download or grab the remote herself. She sounds needy and helpless!

Both of those ads annoy me. The good thing about the thread though is, I'm going to think of that response, in future, every time the AIB ad is on. :D

Same with the pig ad. And it's on far too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ad for galaxy duet bar, I have seen/heard it many times and hate it, never knew what it was even for until now. They sing, sorry destroy, the song moon river -or rather the rapper lad ruins it, sounds like someone taking the piss out of kanye west or 50 cent, brutal.

Turns out the girl is Irish.
    The 20-second spot showcases the clashing styles of Irish artist Chanele McGuinness who sings the ballad, and London lyricist Bxnjamin who punctuates each line with a rap.

Galaxy's senior brand manager Christoph Weber commented: “Since the now iconic Galaxy advert starring Audrey Hepburn and featuring the smooth tunes of Moon River first landed on our TV screens in 2013, the tune has really grown to become a part of the Galaxy brand.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

rubadub wrote: »
    ad for galaxy duet bar, I have seen/heard it many times and hate it, never knew what it was even for until now. They sing, sorry destroy, the song moon river -or rather the rapper lad ruins it, sounds like someone taking the piss out of kanye west or 50 cent, brutal.

Oh god yeah! I couldn't stand that when I heard it first. Talk about murdering a classic! Thankfully, I've only ever seen/heard that ad once.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I hope Christoph Weber hates himself for becoming the kind of person who says **** like that for a living and has to pass it off as something other than vomit inducing corporate ****etalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

squonk wrote: »

2. Vodafone Mary. That ad where she and beardyman are sitting on the couch and she whines "Oh we missed it!". Honestly Mary it's just a program. It's not the end of the world but seems to be to you by the way you whine. Honestly that kind of whyngyness would be a massive deal breaker for me and she'd be off the couch and out the door faster than a flash of lightening, even faster when she wasn't practical enugh to download or grab the remote herself. She sounds needy and helpless!

Aren't they supposed to be watching Netflix?! I mean you have full control of when the film starts Vodafone Mary and Pigman!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

"I genuinely, genuinely, believe we are going to win today. I am a hundred per cent convinced we will win."
    Now that Paddy's Day is over with luck we will never see that ad again.
    The only logical explanation for that ad is the FAI put it out to convert people to soccer from Gaelic football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

diomed wrote: »
    The only logical explanation for that ad is the FAI put it out to convert people to soccer from Gaelic football.

Jeez, are they not thankful that the GAA allowed them to use Croker while the Aviva was being built?

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

ivytwine wrote: »
    Aren't they supposed to be watching Netflix?! I mean you have full control of when the film starts Vodafone Mary and Pigman!!!

Homeless Dermot Bannon just brought her over for netflix and chill, he just wants the ride and his mam pops over.

Awful ad. I can't not notice her wonky nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Awful ad. I can't not notice her wonky nose.

Never noticed that before, but I will now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Orielle

Vodaphone Mary sounds so meek and helpless....and a 'people pleaser 'type of person. The first ad ...where Vodaphone pig guy found Sue...was really cute....but there was no need to turn it into a Soap Opera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Grrraaaaggh.

For f*ck sake!!

Listen, you d*ckhead PR gimp.

1. That ad wasn't iconic. It was an ad, exactly the same as billions of others

2. How the f*ck did you think taking an unremarkable ad and adding some gratingly unsuitable rapping would make it better?

3. YOU CAN'T JUST CLAIM A CLASSIC SONG HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOUR STUPID SUGARY CRAP. IT'S NOT. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR CHEAP ASS OVER SWEET VEGETABLE OIL NONSENSE. ABSOLUTE DOUCHE.

Edit: Obviously not directed at the poster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Grrraaaaggh.

For f*ck sake!!

Listen, you d*ckhead PR gimp.

1. That ad wasn't iconic. It was an ad, exactly the same as billions of others

2. How the f*ck did you think taking an unremarkable ad and adding some gratingly unsuitable rapping would make it better?

3. YOU CAN'T JUST CLAIM A CLASSIC SONG HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOUR STUPID SUGARY CRAP. IT'S NOT. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR CHEAP ASS OVER SWEET VEGETABLE OIL NONSENSE. ABSOLUTE DOUCHE.

Edit: Obviously not directed at the poster!

4. And if you genuinely believed that this ad was just as good and would be just as popular as the drumming gorilla and the dancing clothes... then you need to be tied to a chair, with balls and chains around your ankles for good measure, and forced to watch those two ads over and over until you realise exactly what made them good and popular.

:o:o:o:D;)

The Corsodyl ads have run their course now. There's only so many times we can see someone spitting blood when brushing their teeth and then lifting their upper lip to reveal a missing tooth... and they can't be all that good for squeamish viewers, either.

2ll1yxs.jpg

1ewimv.jpg

2qa35ed.jpg

"That's enough! That's enough!"

2njvjw6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The new lottery ad with the talking rabbits, it creeps me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What the hell is the point of the Carlsberg ad with Antonio banderas?

Edit:

And the new Lidl ad annoys me. The one with the Gorilla. Its obviously a pisstake of that Cadbury ad from years ago, but at least that ad as pointless as it was, had a nice drum solo in it. The Lidl one has a gorilla who can't play drums. It just screams "We are a cheap imitation of the original, which isnt quite as good". Not great advertising if you ask me. Especially considering Lidl own brand stuff is often as good if not better than other well known brands.

It would actually work better for Tesco Value range chocolate which you know is cheap and cheerful, but at 20 cents per easter egg, you'll try it anyway if cash is very tight.
    Vodaphone Mary sounds so meek and helpless....and a 'people pleaser 'type of person. The first ad ...where Vodaphone pig guy found Sue...was really cute....but there was no need to turn it into a Soap Opera.

And considering they had an ad dedicated to him finding the pig, there is zero back story of how 45+ year old farmer guy met the 22 year old hottie. It seems to be a recurring trend at the moment of advertising companies make a decent ad and then make a follow up ad which flies in the face of the original.

Like Steve and Rachel. They nailed it in the first ad. Steve the irritating house mate is moving his thoroughly irritating girlfriend into the house. The ad is for quick approval on mortgages and the two lads instantly apply for mortgages to get away from the pair. Follow up ad - normal looking guy moves in next to the irritating pair. Unless they are advertising a service where you can change your mind on the house you are buying after you meet the neighbours, the ad makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Graigmanliam

I see someone has pretty much nailed the most irritating thing about the Vodafone ad, mousey Mary. My brother is going with a blonde gimp almost exactly like her, no conversation out of her or personality to her at all.

The emaciated one in the Lidl ad looks like she doesn't eat anything let alone any of that ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,498 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I see someone has pretty much nailed the most irritating thing about the Vodafone ad, mousey Mary. My brother is going with a blonde gimp almost exactly like her, no conversation out of her or personality to her at all.
    e.

You took the bulb to her didn't you??

Big up lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Not sure how many people have seen the new dominos ad, which is absolutely abysmal. It involves various characters whose mouths move independent of their faces due to a tempting nature of a pizza in the vicinity. It is actually quite disturbing really.
    How anyone thought it was a good idea for an ad is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Not sure how many people have seen the new dominos ad, which is absolutely abysmal. It involves various characters whose mouths move independent of their faces due to a tempting nature of a pizza in the vicinity. It is actually quite disturbing really.
    How anyone thought it was a good idea for an ad is beyond me.

The only involuntary movements dominos would ever cause my mouth to make are gagging and retching. ****e pizza, no idea why it's so popular around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Corsodyl ads have run their course now.
    I hate those, taking people for morons.
    A magazine ad featured an image of woman putting on mascara with blood dripping from the corner of her eye next to text which stated "YOU WOULDN'T IGNORE THIS". The ad also featured an image of a small amount of blood and toothpaste in a sink with text alongside stating "SO WHY IGNORE BLOOD WHEN YOU BRUSH YOUR TEETH?"
    Yeah, blood pouring out of your eye is just as serious :rolleyes:
    corsodyl.jpg
    corso-770x513.png

Some self proclaimed feminist on twitter posted this.
    "Corsodyl: you wouldn't ignore blood if it was coming from any other part of your body" - speak for yourself (and half the population), pal.

The New Supermacs one with Pat McDonagh and Sean O'Brien going on about the beef quality in their new 5 oz burger, pure cringe.

Ah jesus that ad is painful and O'brien is every bit as cringeworthy as McDonagh in it

• Advertisement

I'd love to get a hammer a a few six inch nails and nail that lads nutpurse to the dressing room wall.

What an absolute plonker.

An amateur athlete who was in the confines of his dressing room as part of the underdog unfancied Mt Leinster Rangers team from Carlow before playing the all ireland champions of 2 years before Loughgiel, up in Down and he has the cheek to try and fire up his team

Yep what a b@stard, it was only the biggest game of the mans life to date whats he on about :rolleyes:

And it helped them because they overcame all the odds and won.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

An amateur athlete who was in the confines of his dressing room as part of the underdog unfancied Mt Leinster Rangers team from Carlow before playing the all ireland champions of 2 years before Loughgiel, up in Down and he has the cheek to try and fire up his team

Yep what a b@stard, it was only the biggest game of the mans life to date whats he on about :rolleyes:

Hope you enjoyed your day out pal.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Hope you enjoyed your day out pal.

not even from Carlow but i think the poster is being a bit unfair and these type of ads should be out of bounds on this thread because the lad wasnt acting in a sense of playing a character but actually in a real time dressing room trying to motivate his club and parishmates for the biggest game of their lives. He was oblivious to the camera. As a hurling fan, i love the passion the man speaks with and the same lad is a quality hurler fpr the club

• Registered Users Posts: 19,498 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I did not know that, I take back my criticism.

Bit staged though, don't you think.

I did not know that, I take back my criticism.

Bit staged though, don't you think.

Well it was the dressing room before they took to the field against loughgiel. He's pretty convincing if it was staged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

No one is unaware of 'the cameras'.

No one!

I'm sure twas all fine, and certainly not the most annoying ad I've seen this week, but it did come off as...well...a tad forced.

Anyway....where was this thread all my life?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

jones 19 wrote: »
    I've just found this topic ! Stay tuned! So many!
    Me too.

I feel like I just found out about Santa - in July!

And even though writing about a bad ad actually promotes the ad, and may actually encourage marketing teams to create bad ads in the hope of a viral backlash...

I still wanna vent!

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

I hate those, taking people for morons.

Yeah, blood pouring out of your eye is just as serious :rolleyes:
    corsodyl.jpg
    corso-770x513.png

Some self proclaimed feminist on twitter posted this.

You still wouldn't ignore it though.........

Corsodyl ad is fine. As someone who spits blood all the time when I brush, it's made e think I need to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭edber2011

Ive allways spitted blood after brushing and have no gum disease or anything.
    Brush too hard with a hard brush and that will get you bleeding.
    I brush hard as hell to get the job done quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I hate the stupid cartoons for Jacamo that book-end each ad break during the day on Dave. The Indiana Jones rip-off is the worst, because the man is so full of himself, like the sort who only bets in Ladbrokes because of the "Ladbrokes lads". Oh, and while his garage door is at least halfway down, he teleports from the driver's seat of his car to rolling on the ground through the doorway, and reaches back under the door for his BLT roll.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement