Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

amdublin wrote: »
    Why does the man who has to mind his nieces and nephews for the weekend suddenly need Richard Branson and new(??) internet to look up how to do stuff for the weekend.

Is he so useless that he needs the internet for everything in his life?
    Is his previous internet so useless that he must get something new (shipped in by drone??) to connect to a better internet or something??

The premise of the ad is he is suddenly landed with the nieces and nephews on a friday night and needs better internet. I wonder could a case be brought under advertising standards because there is no way in hell if you rang up Virgin on Friday evening would you get the modem the next day, nor would you get the internet installed that weekend.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

The turkish airlines ad where they are pretending they're flying to gotham.

Please god this isn't the way things are going with corporations and companies teaming up together to advertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

WTF are Dominoes thinking with that new ad where people have messed up mouths??? Someone was paid to make that? It has absolutely nothing to do with pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The turkish airlines ad where they are pretending they're flying to gotham.
    When I saw it I thought there genuinely might have been a "gotham" in turkey, didn't seem too weird a name. Seems some went further and tried to order tickets.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkish-airlines-ads-prompt-demands-for-tickets-to-gotham-and-metropolis.aspx?PageID=238&NID=95012&NewsCatID=341
    A number of people have apparently been confused by the latest Turkish Airlines (THY) commercial for the upcoming “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” movie featuring fictional destinations, phoning call centers to demand tickets to “Gotham City” and “Metropolis.”

There is actually a place called "Batman" in turkey.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman,_Turkey

And there is a gotham in the UK
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-24760791
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham,_Nottinghamshire

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Who in their right mind would go to either place if they were real? Gotham's a crime-ridden ****hole, and Metropolis gets flattened because of Superman's fights! At least in Keystone City the Flash would use his physics textbook-shredding abilities to prevent every possible crime that could happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Who in their right mind would go to either place if they were real? Gotham's a crime-ridden ****hole, and Metropolis gets flattened because of Superman's fights! At least in Keystone City the Flash would use his physics textbook-shredding abilities to prevent every possible crime that could happen.

I dunno if that's the lesson I'd take from this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Thargor wrote: »
    WTF are Dominoes thinking with that new ad where people have messed up mouths??? Someone was paid to make that? It has absolutely nothing to do with pizza.

Agreed. It's a bit revolting, IMO. Definitely wouldn't encourage me to buy their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Thargor wrote: »
    LynnGrace wrote: »
    Agreed. It's a bit revolting, IMO. Definitely wouldn't encourage me to buy their products.

I came to the conclusion that the person who made the ad saw the guys in the visuals department messing around with something or saw a face swap app and thought "Hilarious. We should do an ad campaign doing that with mouths, and assume it's the first time everyone has seen such a thing."

KFC/Dominos/McDonalds etc.. bottom of the advert barrel. If you're making ads for them, then either you're in your first week/year of advertising or you should get another job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wilberto wrote: »
    "I ham that real Brady Family ham."

"I ham what I ham."

Granted that may not be the actual ad currently out by them as I think they do have a newer one out, but I'd be fairly sure it's the same crowd that does both ads. I could be wrong though, of course.

Not sure if they are the same ad or not but I am sure that there is a bloody Ham war being played out on our tv screens right now.From memory we have Bord Bias ham ad, Carrolls Ham, Brady Family ham and the odd Denny ham ad too.

AIB kid is really grating on me these days. You just know his parents sent him to the Billy Barry School to learn jazz hands with Twink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The Aldi penguins, I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

madmaggie wrote: »
    The Aldi penguins, I don't get it.
    Yeah a bit patronizing alright, comedy in this country seems to be 95% about funny accents these days, except its not funny, anyone with any actual wit seems to have emigrated.

Also one of the penguins says "Sure there open til 10 shur" but they only open to 9, then if you listen again you can barely hear him saying "only coddin yis" a bit later...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NoGoals

amdublin wrote: »
    Why does the man who has to mind his nieces and nephews for the weekend suddenly need Richard Branson and new(??) internet to look up how to do stuff for the weekend.

Is he so useless that he needs the internet for everything in his life?
    Is his previous internet so useless that he must get something new (shipped in by drone??) to connect to a better internet or something??

It reminds me of the (I think it was Vodafone) ad where you were treated a montage of a young twenty-something guy doing all manner of 'wacky' things, with the voice-over saying "Now you can do all of this [with our fantastic product]".

No, the ability to do all said 'wacky' things is completely unrelated to internet speed and coverage, the true claim of the ad is that now you can narcissistically record yourself doing all of it. The line between need and want has become hopelessly blurred when it comes to internet connectivity (says the guy giving out on an internet forum).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

NoGoals wrote: »
    It reminds me of the (I think it was Vodafone) ad where you were treated a montage of a young twenty-something guy doing all manner of 'wacky' things, with the voice-over saying "Now you can do all of this [with our fantastic product]".

No, the ability to do all said 'wacky' things is completely unrelated to internet speed and coverage, the true claim of the ad is that now you can narcissistically record yourself doing all of it. The line between need and want has become hopelessly blurred when it comes to internet connectivity (says the guy giving out on an internet forum).

5 gigs? You can make a massive arse of yourself in 5 gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

colm_mcm wrote: »

CRINGE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

lol having the election poster in the background, how to date your advert

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ad for just eat on the uk stations where the numpty starts singing about a curry. Also the b&q ads with a couple in animal costumes but everyone else in the ads a person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

He came in on his own but had a woman with him on the way out?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Shannon757 wrote: »

Probably the most unlikely Volkswagen driving Lothario in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

That annoying "Three" radio advert where the guy explains how his phone provider is "mission critical"......it's a jelly bean business

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

LOL :D "presumably" the best? Carlsberg are calling from 1995 and want their slogan back lads!

Yeah, WTF? I thought for a minute there she was going to give him a happy ending :eek: with all of them watching and drinking champagne behind them :pac:

The best worst ad I've seen in a long, long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

• Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I wonder if that ad was dreamed up by the same person who told us on the radio that snowflakes have six points and fall in one of four seasons and that insects have six legs and four wings and this might not be a coincidence that the 4th Gen Caddy and 6th gen Crafter were now in the showroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

That Chicago Town pizza ad (the singing, dancing one). Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The 7 Up ad with the film-maker. There's something very sleazy about him at thr end where he smirks to camera with the blonde lady beside him in the fake car.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,455 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

What are ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moycullen14

The Paula McSweeney ad for Koort me or whatever it is.

I'm sure she's saying '... never mind your great, big, beautiful ar*e'

I think (hope) it's meant to be 'heart'.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

The Paula McSweeney ad for Koort me or whatever it is.

I'm sure she's saying '... never mind your great, big, beautiful ar*e'

I think (hope) it's meant to be 'heart'.

Whenever I hear her voice all I can think of with her is she's a teenager in a 30 something year olds body.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement