Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The Oxendales ad.

"Designed to fit and fladder"

"Get your free cadalogue"

It's enough to give Gay Byrne a conniption.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

The Oxendales ad.

"Designed to fit and fladder"

"Get your free cadalogue"

It's enough to give Gay Byrne a conniption.

is that the one with the blatant rip-off music of 'no place id rather be' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

is that the one with the blatant rip-off music of 'no place id rather be' ?

Similar enough that you'd recognise it, but different enough to not pay royalties :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

The fairy goodmuller one is driving me cracked. Anyone know who your man is? Must be fairly stuck to lower himself to that.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    The fairy goodmuller one is driving me cracked. Anyone know who your man is? Must be fairly stuck to lower himself to that.

used to be a boxer... - needs money :D

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Similar enough that you'd recognise it, but different enough to not pay royalties :)

Clever Barstewards, nicely played / plagiarism

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Kriss akabusi? Former athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

used to be a boxer... - needs money :D

Nope, he was a sprinter. Kriss Akabusi. He medalled at various Olympic and World Championships, but never gold in an individual race IIRC (though he has a relay team gold I think). He was in the BA Heathrow Lounge when I was there last. Looks like the only thing he'd sprint for now would be a pie or away from a salad. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Oh here, i've just seen one of the "official" and I use that term loosely UEFAs ads for next months Euro Finals in France. Cant post a link to it, but it shows a group of people and kids walking wearing their country's colours down a street in Paris, but the "Irish Fan", who I believe it is meant to depict is in the group resembles a cross between an extra out of "Lord of The Rings" and generally a stereotypical, "begoraahh" view of how the rest of the world sees us. Yep, a red headed, red bearded, fat jolly bloke, wearing green and wobbling with the rest of the group. Jesus wept!!!!

Nope, he was a sprinter. Kriss Akabusi. He medalled at various Olympic and World Championships, but never gold in an individual race IIRC (though he has a relay team gold I think). He was in the BA Heathrow Lounge when I was there last. Looks like the only thing he'd sprint for now would be a pie or away from a salad. ;)

ah yeah - i getting him mixed up with that boxer who wears a monocle sometimes - he went into the jungle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What in the name of god is this new aldi ad where your man can't pronounce his r's?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

ah yeah - i getting him mixed up with that boxer who wears a monocle sometimes - he went into the jungle

I have never watched any of those jungle programmes but the monocle suggests Chris Eubanks.

I have never watched any of those jungle programmes but the monocle suggests Chris Eubanks.

thats the fella - thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Graigmanliam

The Philadelphia ad is weird, just look at the blond one's eyes and the black circles around them, they look like they belong on a girl twenty years older.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Why do people do this? It's Eubank. Why the extra S!?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,498 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Omackeral wrote: »
    Why do people do this? It's Eubank. Why the extra S!?

Don't go there!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Eubank

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That article is a great example of why grammar matters... "Eubank also has a son Nathanael Wilson, stemming from a 6 month relationship with his mother Cynthia Wilson". Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I blame Peep Show for forever associating Chris Eubank with youth hostels in my mind. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I blame Peep Show for forever associating Chris Eubank with youth hostels in my mind. :o

Alan Partridge?

the family pushing a box of Toffifee across the screen .... whats all that about? :rolleyes: - there apparently is so much fun in Toffifee .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

fussyonion wrote: »
    The Muller ads.
    A girl is on the beach and she's eating a yogurt.
    Or a girl is in the park eating a yogurt.

Sorry, but I don't know anyone who decides they fancy a yogurt when they're at the beach and I certainly don't know anyone who's in Stephen's Green on a sunny Saturday thinking: "I really fancy a yogurt."
    I certainly wouldn't consider carrying a yogurt around in my bag on a hot day.
    Bloody stupid.

God, I'd love a yogurt now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Alan Partridge?

Now that you've said it, yeah, it was Alan Partridge. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Every Heineken ad.

The Azera on the go ads, she gets up at 5am, peels a lid off a disposable cup, boils the kettle and then has a coffee on the go, a four pack is €6.59.

Designed for people too important to wash their own thermos and too cheap to go to a coffee shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The D4 farmer in the Green Isle ad. Why not use a real farmer, or are the culchies not good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,223 ✭✭✭squonk

Shemale wrote: »
    Every Heineken ad.

The Azera on the go ads, she gets up at 5am, peels a lid off a disposable cup, boils the kettle and then has a coffee on the go, a four pack is €6.59.

Designed for people too important to wash their own thermos and too cheap to go to a coffee shop

Agreed! I don't get that at all. I know the product is there but I'm not sure who it's aimed at! Let's be honest, if you like your coffee that much you'll have either a machine or a plunger and a carry mug. Azera is nicer than instant coffee but not as nice as real coffee. If I was that girl I'd be boiling the kettle, getting dressed and then lashing a teaspoon of Azera into a mug and wolfing it down before I headed out. She'd have fared better stopping at a coffee shop really!

mind you, I am glad we have moved on from ads like this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The minstrels lasted a lot later than I thought actually (or that they should have). Well into the nineties at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

I just realized the fish fingers one is bad too. Probably because my sex toy collection is way too vast...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Does anybody know who did the voiceover in this advert? He seems to be on EVERY advert from the 80's!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I just realized the fish fingers one is bad too. Probably because my sex toy collection is way too vast...

Definitely tmi. :D :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement