Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I think if their was a poll for the most mentions in this thread the Vodafone pig advert would win it hands down.... Oink!

Poo at Paul's house?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

mansize wrote: »
    So thats the word... I often wondered do those forums have any answers where the answer isn't Vanish???

Was saying something pretty similar a few pages back. I think the knowledge exchange is just a bunch of people telling each other to use Vanish, like it's some kind of housewife's tip. Or Youtube but with only one video that is posted again, and again, and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

mansize wrote: »
    Poo at Paul's house?

Now that's an ad I haven't heard in a long, long time...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Im not a fan of the Vodafone pig ads but the new girlfriend who looks like Rachel Riley from Countdown isnt bad at all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

marwelie wrote: »
    Im not a fan of the Vodafone pig ads but the new girlfriend who looks like Rachel Riley from Countdown isnt bad at all.....

Aye, but her canoodling on the couch with her dad is just perturbing.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Can we just start handing out warnings about this Vodafone pig ad obsession please.

Anyway. Ikea, nice idea about Grandad having cooking adventures with his granddaughter but really, who would
    1. Tell her father to feed her daughter like she was a pet or something
    2. Omit the important fact that dinner was ready in the fridge
    3. Not make anything for the Grandad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

i have been in Touch with Vodafone marketing team - im afraid the outlook is not looking pretty good for Piggy Sue. Basically yer bearded one (the bloke , not the woman) sits his girlfriend down to Dinner , Dinner is ready... its Pork:eek: in white wine sauce.... anyway the silver lining is that the programme which was about to start before they sat down to eat dinner can be paused and they can continue to watch it after their meal .... no, piggy sue starring in next advert I'm afraid ... well she does, but dosnt , if you know what I mean ;) - sorry for the spoiler...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

How tragic, I thought piggy sue would make it to the end, I hope Deirdre makes it as the granny one just got to finally meet her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

If I hear another ad for Lionel Ritchie on the radio.

Expect the device to become airborne thru the window.

Unbelievable.

I've been humming "All night long" all day long because of this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

OK , I've just seen new advert for cillit bang. Number 1 what have they done with my mate, Barry Scott? And number 2 why is the music she's a maniac on the floor when its a geezer doing the cleaning?

I think that's a great ad but I fear I will hate it after it is played too many times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Shannon757 wrote: »
    I've been humming "All night long" all day long because of this!

Thanks for that, I haven't even seen/heard the ad in question but now that song will be stuck in my head 'all night long' too :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

blueser wrote: »
    Whoever dreamt up Rachel and Steve want taking out the back and shot.

Looking forward to the next Steve & Rachel ad.... hopefully it shows the bearded neighbour guy putting the finishing touches to two mounds of freshly cultivated earth in his back garden next to the fence he was painting the other day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ofcork

Like the Seat one where the youngfella drives off in the car thinking its his bday present.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Roastchicken

It's for women insurance. They make me feel misogynistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Elvis Lennon

AXA red line, hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's for women insurance. They make me feel misogynistic.

There is a complaint about that ad here, it was not upheld.

http://www.asai.ie/complaint/motor-insurance/

I think many people unaware of change might think it was exclusively for women. There is no mention of men in the ad that I saw. I have no doubt they think macho men would be less likely to sign up to a company with such a name.
    Two complainants objected to the advertising on the grounds that it was sexist as it was specifically targeting women.

One complainant considered that the advertising was suggesting that men would not be insured and he also considered that the advertisement was suggesting that females were better drivers than men. He referred to Article 5 of the Gender Directive (2004/113/EC) which provides that the use of gender as a factor when calculating premiums and other benefits in respect of insurance should not result in differences in premiums or benefits to an individual.

The advertiser stated that the its4women car insurance product had features and benefits tailored for women such as break-down assist, a courtesy car and handbag cover. Their brand advertisements were produced to convey the sense that the product had been created with the needs of women in mind, however, all product features and benefits were equally extended and offered to male policy holders.

They stated that men were insured by its4women.ie as both first and second named drivers and that this was widely understood by the customer-base through the use of the gender selection tool available in the first section of the quote request form online.

They stated that there was no reference or statement made within the advertising or on any of their marketing collateral that males were excluded from insurance policies supplied by its4women.ie.

In regards to the complaint that the advertisement suggests females are safer drivers, they stated that there was no suggestion or reference to anything that would suggest females were safer drivers than males in any part of the script or in any visual imagery used within the advertising. They said that the its4women.ie brand was fully aware of, and understands, the EU Gender Directive and prices their policies in accordance and in compliance with this.
    I wonder why they have a gender selection tool at all? it doesn't ask race which I presume is not allowed to be a factor either.

I think I read some people did test it and got the same price if male/female.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

AXA red line, hate it.

The girl in that ad is nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ofcork

What do people think of the opel astra with the smug father?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Looking forward to the next Steve & Rachel ad.... hopefully it shows the bearded neighbour guy putting the finishing touches to two mounds of freshly cultivated earth in his back garden next to the fence he was painting the other day :rolleyes:

That ad does my head in,the ironic thing about it is rachel and steve are supposed to be the geeks,but the guy with the ridiculous beard looks more geekier and idiotic than them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

That ad does my head in,the ironic thing about it is rachel and steve are supposed to be the geeks,but the guy with the ridiculous beard looks more geekier and idiotic than them

Love how you're meant to sympathise with beardy hipster guy. Rachel and Steve (well maybe not Steve) would be great craic. I like their "hope ya like Heavy Metal" joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Patww79 wrote: »

Unfortunately you could not just look at Rachel, You would have to listen to her as well. A Copper's hit and run if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Agreed there, head on him like a 2 litre tankard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

AXA red line, hate it.

is that the AXA Red Line ? :D

Boom!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

is that the AXA Red Line ? :D

Boom!

I'm abroad nowadays so seldom home, can't believe I'm hearing that fecking ad is still going. And that skinny beardy hipster seemed to be in every second ad on TV back when it first came out.

Big fan of Laura Pyper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

marwelie wrote: »

The way she gormlessly sticks her neck out when she's meeting the new people drives me f*ucking nuts. Guillotine for her please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

ofcork wrote: »
    Like the Seat one where the youngfella drives off in the car thinking its his bday present.

I love that one. The Dad gets his son a bike for his birthday and goes inside and is like happy birthday and points outside. Then the kid hops in the car and drives away, happy as hell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭patmac

The Halifax ad with Topcat is wrong on so many levels.
    It's about a talking cat being approved immediately (despite not having a job or security) for a mortgage for a €10.99 bin from Woodies(wonder what the repayments are for that probably €11.99 per month for 20 years) whilst another cat plays a violin. Meanwhile outside the local English copper with a New York accent twirls his baton around waiting for the RSPCA to report him.
    Still it's better than listening to their employees sing shoite versions of 80's song.

• Advertisement

patmac wrote: »
    The Halifax ad with Topcat is wrong on so many levels.
    It's about a talking cat being approved immediately (despite not having a job or security) for a mortgage for a €10.99 bin from Woodies(wonder what the repayments are for that probably €11.99 per month for 20 years) whilst another cat plays a violin. Meanwhile outside the local English copper with a New York accent twirls his baton around waiting for the RSPCA to report him.
    Still it's better than listening to their employees sing shoite versions of 80's song.

It was acceptable in the noughties. :D Anything with a pulse in front of a bank manager got more credit than they needed.

The former brookside actress in that same ad has something foxy about her still :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement