Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

Any ads with Andie McDowell....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

There is an ad currently running for some sort of oven cleaning product that are using the line "so easy, even a man can do it". It really grates on my nerves. If it was for a DIY product and had the tag "so easy, a woman can do it", there would be uproar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but I absolutely hate the new easi-singles ad with the child arriving home to Mom with a dirty, grey cloud over him and after one bite of cheese on toast made with flippin easi-singles the cloud disappears... Easi-singles... Yuck, yuck, yuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Lucy Kennedy sitting with the farmers at the mart having a great laugh in the bigswitch campaign for bord gais. For feck sake give us a break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

I hattee despise that ad for 'SwiftCover' 'Sponsors of Sci-Fi on Sky'.

Ughh. 'I love my wheels man' WELL I LOVE PEOPLE WHOSE CHEST DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A WATER SLIDE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭An tSaoi

"I'm going to do a poo at Paul's" has been rightfully mentioned, as has the Cadbury's eyebrows kids. Glad to see the coke ad with the library teenagers drawing on their arms get a nod. Everyone agrees on Daft Dave being unbearable. Nobody likes the Northern Ireland "Wonder of Hughes" Elvis guys.

Some other ones that really irritate me:

The Burger King ad where the guy looks suspiciously at his change, runs over the tables, leaps through the window, and jumps into the car. His wife lets out a simple exasperated "Brian!", even though most women would have had their man sectioned for being mental. The point of the ad? It's so cheap "you'll think that you've robbed us".

The new Clearasil ad where the boy asks the girl to borrow her lipstick. She looks bemused, but says okay. He then proceedes to lean in and shift her. She seems slightly taken aback, whereas in real life she would have slapped him and got him done for sexual assault or something. The point? Clearasil makes you confident (as opposed to inappropriately foolish).

The DirectLine home insurance (or is it car insurance, I can't remember) with the computer mouse (voiced by Paul Merton) and the phone on wheels (Stephen Fry I think, or at least someone who sounds very like him). Famous people whoring themselves out to advertisers generally annoy me, but having two funny men agree to voice something with such a rubbish pun as "Not very mobile are you, for a phone?" is inexcusable.

The Abbey Insurance ad, which looks like the cheapest ad ever. Having hot coffee or tea spilt on your lap would scald you, not leave you with that dumb open mouthed expression. Having your car door ripped off by a truck (or unscrewed and edited to look like it came off as in the case of the ad) would not make you sing "I'm A-B-B-E-Y!" "She's A-B-B-E-Y!" The guy who wheels into shot with the piano just seals the deal as far as bugging me.

There's also one that they show on FiveUS or Fiver or one of those digibox channels for a company called Envirofone (note the totally happening misspelling of phone. Very hip and rad and phat). They offer you cash for your old phone. Cue some goon rummaging about in his attic for his mobile, which he sends off to the company. He then gets a cheque for the princely sum of ... 32 pounds! The delighted look on his face is totally unwarranted. He even throws his head back and laughs with delight at his paultry windfall. What a knob.

I also hate that one for some driving instructor school. A man tells us we could make quite a living off instructing, all we need is the DRIVE to do it! Get it? See what he did there? He then tells us he holds the KEYS to our future! Ha-ha! He seems so pleased at his terrible, terrible puns.

There's loads more but I can't think of them right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭An tSaoi

Oh just remembered! The one for some cereal or another, where the boy says "Dese are gud for ya. Trust me, Oi'm yar older bruddah." The kid has a friggin' mullet! Nobody should trust anything he says. Luckily they seem to have edited him out of the new version of the ad. You can still hear him, but he's never seen in focus. Sadly the "he get's that from your side" line remains.

The ad for some yoghurt or other with the animated cartoon cow. She gets some children to colour in a picture of her. It's too big for them to reach the top, and they do a pretty crummy job. So she fills them full of Munch Bunch and in the space of two seconds it fills them full of ... energy and ... beans. They go off and do a slightly less crummy (but still crummy job) colouring it in. "You've grown into quite an artist!" No they haven't. It's rubbish.

And that brings me onto the milk ads with the little toy cow and chicken and wee man. It's all a bit mad, but the new on when the bull keeps demanding MILK! MILK! MILK! and downing is too much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Neesa wrote: »
    One that really irks me is the Hibernian Aviva ad. It's already been mentioned but for different reasons. The part that irks me is "From things we thought we were important." Cue two blondes OMGing over shoes. "To things that really are." Enter family of four strolling on the beach.

Now, I'm not suggesting that the ad is mistaken and it actually is shoes that are important. Of course not. But I think it's unfair to compare the two as I see the women as being at different stages of their lives.

What's wrong with a 20 year old woman, who maybe does want kids someday but isn't ready for them yet, treating herself to shoes? It doesn't mean she thinks that shoes are, and will always be, the most important thing in her life. She's just not ready to have a child yet.

Plus, I don't think they took into account people who don't want/can't have children.

Jesus H. Christ and the Twelve Apostles.

Nothing can take into account every last eventuality. Should all adverts that reference parents and families have appendages stipulating ''It's ok not to have children! Buy our cereal/drink/insurance anyways!''?

It's not passing ultimate judgement on people liking shoes. Or people who don't want a family.

It's also one of the most effective adverts I've seen in a good long while, using many historical and social reference points to highlight how much change they've seen and weathered in their hundred-year existence and that they ''have the strength for the next hundred''.

I'm amazed I've had to even point any of that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

im sure the 3G advert with mobile bill has been mentioned once or twice, gawd i hate that ad.it makes me dislike/want to stay the hell away from anything to do with 3G.
    if that lad has a girlfriend, im sure she wakes every morning, looks at him, and considers walloping the bejaysus out of him!
    mobile bill..mobile bollix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

have to give an honourable mention to the schweppes "cocktails for two" ad.. something about it :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDh4WF6tZvs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The Kia ad for their 7-year guarantee with the Stargate thing....

A one-day old car is sent through a time-machine 7 years.......on arrival it passes the tests.

Of course it does - it's still a one-day old car!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    The Kia ad for their 7-year guarantee with the Stargate thing....

A one-day old car is sent through a time-machine 7 years.......on arrival it passes the tests.

Of course it does - it's still a one-day old car!!!!

Yeah ..but its a Kia..best safe than sorry....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fourfiveone

Sky used to run an ad for some homeowner loan crew where a fat lad pretended to throw (maybe header) a ball into his aul' doll's face. Always made me want to batter his pudgy mush into the land before time. He looked a bit like Bob Mills.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Diet Coke ad with Duffy.

She sounds like a chipmunk in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

chocolate add with the two kids twitching their eyebrows ! hate it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

There used to be an advert for hair dye that went something like "95% of x magazine readers would recommend this hair dye to their friends...the other 5% probably don't have any friends!"
    :eek::confused:

It was a bit bizarre, I think they changed it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Riveam

What about that ad for 'the next generation of pregnancy test'? The overdub and the whole atmosphere of the ad is just like, what? Jesus christ!!! I wasn't aware there was anything wrong with the old generation!!!! It's for checkin whether you're up the duff or not, not flying to Mercury's 7th moon for ****'s sake!!!

Also those 'always ultra' ads. Similarly to the toilet paper ads it seems to have forgotten what the product is ACTUALLY for. They make it look like it's the great liberator of women's rights, when the fact of the matter is it soaks up fanny blood and prevents the need for the old bucket-and-rope system.

Argh.....

*upon re-reading this post I ask, do you think I'm a little fixated?

Acacia wrote: »
    There used to be an advert for hair dye that went something like "95% of x magazine readers would recommend this hair dye to their friends...the other 5% probably don't have any friends!"
    :eek::confused:

It was a bit bizarre, I think they changed it though.

Yeah I think they changed it to "we're still working on the other 5%"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

janeybabe wrote: »
    Diet Coke ad with Duffy.

She sounds like a chipmunk in it.
    Just saw that ad. It's from hell.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Meteor Broadband Togo with Chris O'Dowd.

Jaysus that's stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,871 ✭✭✭✭Basq

phasers wrote: »
    Meteor Broadband Togo with Chris O'Dowd
    Yep.

Not to mention Chris O Dowd looks REALLY odd in a suit.. it might be the facial hair and general scruffiness.. but just looks out-of-place.

Karsini wrote: »
    Yeah I think they changed it to "we're still working on the other 5%"

Yeah, the first one was a bit mean! :D

Riveam wrote: »
    What about that ad for 'the next generation of pregnancy test'? The overdub and the whole atmosphere of the ad is just like, what? Jesus christ!!! I wasn't aware there was anything wrong with the old generation!!!! It's for checkin whether you're up the duff or not, not flying to Mercury's 7th moon for ****'s sake!!!

Also those 'always ultra' ads. Similarly to the toilet paper ads it seems to have forgotten what the product is ACTUALLY for. They make it look like it's the great liberator of women's rights, when the fact of the matter is it soaks up fanny blood and prevents the need for the old bucket-and-rope system.

Argh.....

*upon re-reading this post I ask, do you think I'm a little fixated?

LOL , not at all, I agree. :pac:

I don't get those ads for toilet roll like it's some luxury product like, "Be Kind To Your Behind" or however it goes. Christ, it's for wiping sh1t off your arse, nothing else. The one the really annoys me is "This is Ciara, just dumped by her fifth fiancé" ...and this has what to do with bog roll exactly? :confused:

All those Activia ads wreck my head too. Usually some bag bleating "I feel a bit bloated and sluggish..." I couldn't care less about your digestive system or what manky yogurt you eat. And why is it always women in those ads? Do men never feel a bit "bloated and sluggish"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

"Mummy, I need to do a poo"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Riveam

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Take that!!!!

'Hello you'? Arghhhhhhh die duffy die!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

The Meteor Bill Pay/Top-up scheme ad. I don’t know if it’s on TV but I’ve seen it in the cinema a few times and it’s very annoying.

“This is Bill” cue some fool larking about like he’s on day release. The product itself seems pretty good but the ad reminds me of those rubbish ads John Cleese did for that supermarket (Tesco? Sainsbury?) back in the 90’s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Riveam wrote: »
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Take that!!!!

'Hello you'? Arghhhhhhh die duffy die!!!!!!!!

She actually sounds relatively normal in that version. In the shortened TV version she sounds like she's inhaled helium :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It's a pity she didn't inhale cyanide...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Ciaran B wrote: »
    The Meteor Bill Pay/Top-up scheme ad. I don’t know if it’s on TV but I’ve seen it in the cinema a few times and it’s very annoying.

“This is Bill” cue some fool larking about like he’s on day release. The product itself seems pretty good but the ad reminds me of those rubbish ads John Cleese did for that supermarket (Tesco? Sainsbury?) back in the 90’s.

That's for 3, not Meteor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

I hate the way they turn up the volume for some ads, ramming all their sh1te down our throats.

GO HARVEY NORMAN, GO! (go f--k yourself)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement