Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The Match.Com ads with those Fate & Cupid characters.

Why would this make you want to join match.com???? I just don't get it!

(is there a thread for favourite ads? I love the Triple Velvet, "soft, soft, soft" ads with the little kid as the MD)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

2fivers wrote: »

F'rinstance, I enjoyed the original Gorilla ad, and no matter where you went someone was talking about it, (in mostly glowing terms) but cadbury sales plummeted against their main rivals while it was running.

Today's Star features a story on the business page regarding a halt in production of Cadburys chocolate in Dublin & the UK, due to a downturn in consumption of their product over over the last month.

Lightning strikes twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Today's Star features a story on the business page regarding a halt in production of Cadburys chocolate in Dublin & the UK, due to a downturn in consumption of their product over over the last month.

Lightning strikes twice?

'Twill teach them not to make sh1t ads I should think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

"Mummy, I need to do a poo"

Torture = watching that ad
    Brat = child in that ad
    Malfunctioning = my TV after that ad is shown, probably because I've thrown something at it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but those 'text daish' and 'meet girlssss from oll over Orland' ads are abysmal.
    D4 b1tch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

That crappy Superquinn ad, the one with John in Waterford has a hot date one, they must have spent 10cent on that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Diet Coke ad...

After watching it I found myself asking who (or what) is Duffy??

Then I was shocked to find out that she sing's for a living???:eek:

She sounds hideous!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

jordainius wrote: »
    Diet Coke ad...

After watching it I found myself asking who (or what) is Duffy??

Then I was shocked to find out that she sing's for a living???:eek:

She sounds hideous!!!!

It really sounds like someone messed up the sound on the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

There is an ad currently running for some sort of oven cleaning product that are using the line "so easy, even a man can do it". It really grates on my nerves. If it was for a DIY product and had the tag "so easy, a woman can do it", there would be uproar.

So poorly produced it made me laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭hairymick

The new mister muscle ads.It worked better when he was a nerdy weakling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

No doubt it's been said but it's worth saying again. Those 2 scary looking kids with the dancing eyebrows in the dairy milk ad. . holy christ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

hairymick wrote: »
    The new mister muscle ads.It worked better when he was a nerdy weakling.

Was he not a big bald muscley ****er with an earring before? I've seen this cleaning stuff called Don Limpio in Spain, which has the original (bald) mr muscle on it. Maybe he relocated? :D

I have to add, I hate that stroke advert that comes on every now and again. Its a bit overkill in my opinion, and I do understand the point they are tryin to make, but do they really need to have the camera zoomed in on the face while all this is going on? And that fire effect on the head is completely unneccesary. I sometimes wonder whether the people who make these ads (like most of the fire safety ones) just have a point they want to make, or is there a hidden urge to subliminally unsettle or disturb the viewer as well?

DarkJager wrote: »
    Was he not a big bald muscley ****er with an earring before? I've seen this cleaning stuff called Don Limpio in Spain, which has the original (bald) mr muscle on it. Maybe he relocated? :D

Lol- Don Limpio. :pac:

No, Mister Muscle used to be a glasses-wearing nerd, they've made him into a CGI superhero now for some reason.

A new annoying ad- ariel - "brrrrrilliant!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Acacia wrote: »
    Lol- Don Limpio. :pac:

I'm just going to point out, but I'm sure most people know, limpiar is the Spanish word for "to clean".

• Registered Users Posts: 1 halffullman

Is it just me or is the new Spring '09 Heineken spot on RTE just a bit too suggestive for it's own good. While we watch the loveliness of Heineken, Shirley Bassey sings the following lyrics;
    "Funny how a lonely day can make a person say, what good is my life"

Also the closing shot is of a heineken bottle while the lyric "This is my life" is sung with gusto. Very subtle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Barbieliveshere

Random wrote: »
    No doubt it's been said but it's worth saying again. Those 2 scary looking kids with the dancing eyebrows in the dairy milk ad. . holy christ...

:P i love that ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

The Cadbury's ad sucks big roundy ones, and personally, I'm delighted their current campaign has resulted in a drop in sales. They might do a less vomit-inducing ad next time.

Anyway, there''s a promo on Rte 2 at the moment for a "massive day of sport" with some eejit shouting about rugby and the premiership in an annoying voice. Sounds a bit like soky from The Den's older brother.

That's very annoying. How come all Rte 2 promos are crap recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i hate the one with the little black dude in it. He got a laptop from someone and is thanking them. At the start of the ad he is on about how he comes from a place we never heard of but he never mentions the place. Little sh1t head is only covering his ass in case we did here of the place. If he is so poor he should pawn his laptop and buy his family some food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

I'm on to him. He'll not get far...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

All ads but these ones in particular

The LV ad, I can't stand the music, so loud and mastered aaarrrggggh
    The Skills Centre ad with the rotund english people
    Injury Lawyers 4 U, you can make money off accidents and don't worry because the costs are recovered from the other side (scavengers of human misery)
    The RED ad about driving instructors, bland Can imitation music presented by some dude with an annoying voice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Has this been done?
    The new Duffy/Diet Coke Ad is just AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

The laser eye surgery ones drive me absolutely potty. "Well it's a week later and I needn't have been so worried" - that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Has anyone seen the new Maxwell house ad where the girl talks about how her clothes got ruined at a music festival? Then the grandmother (or whoever) says she went to one in the sixties but her clothes didn't get ruined. Why? Cos she wasn't wearing any.
    Is there not such a thing as plagiarism in marketing? I remember about ten to fifteen yrs ago, Ariel or Persil had almost the exact same premise for an ad. I'm sure some of you remember. Glastonbury was mentioned.
    Fairly rubbish ad anyway.

Also that twitchy cadbury one I find very hard to watch. It's like watching someone have a fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Both of those 'festival' ads make me vomit. :mad:

I'm just going to point out, but I'm sure most people know, limpiar is the Spanish word for "to clean".

I know. I study Spanish. :D Gracias!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

Scene : 'Pompous, Arsemonkey & Beasley' Advertising Agency, London. Interior, Day.

Exec 1 : "So, guys. New promo for Diet coke. What do we do?"

Exec 2 : "Well, there's this young Welsh singer, very soulful, very popular. Kind of a cross between Shirley Bassey and Aretha Franklin. Winehouse without the unfortunate connotations. We could get her..."

Exec 1 : "Great, lets do that. We can dress her like an extra from a 1980's Debbie Gibson video, put her on a pushbike and have her squeak her way through some forgettable easy listening dirge like one of the munchkins from the Wizard of Oz all the way through the ad.
    That's
    what Diet coke is all about."

Exec 2 : "Fabulouso idea, Dickie. The kids will love it. Trebles all round!"
    fin.

Hmmm. If that's what coke is all about, I'll have a Pepsi, ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

yerayeah wrote: »
    The laser eye surgery ones drive me absolutely potty. "Well it's a week later and I needn't have been so worried" - that one...

For a while there everytime one of those ads came on my partner would start going on about how great it sounded and the price was reasonable, would I not think about getting that done?

Most recently when the ad came on he told he of a person who had gotten the surgery seven or eight years ago and their eyes were still fine.

I wonder if they're paying him? I wear contacts and have zero interest in laser eye surgery. I'm not against it, if a person wants to go for it then good luck to them, it's just not my cup of tea. I like my lenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Two words: "fact me"

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

The Barry's Tea ad where yer wan goes to Thailand.
    "What time is it in Bangkok?"
    "It's party time!"

Barf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

DarkJager wrote: »

Yes, I remembet the original Mr. Muscle. He did indeed have an earring and was bald. He was an amimated character that they used before they intorduced the weak, neardy Mr. Muscle. Think the ad was used in the late 80s/early 90s. They had a tune that went something like "Mr. Muscle cleans so clean you can really see yourself" or something like that!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement