Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

t's not actually a tv ad but a radio ad but anyways I hate it - it's the one with the voice of the guy who owned the house in bachelor's walk - think that it's my-home.ie - that guys faux dulcit tones just drive me mad. in fact if I hear his voice on the radio in the car I instantly change channel. almost (but not quite) as annoying as Orla Barry's voice (Newstalk presenter).

Oh yeah Don Wicherly, he makes my skin crawl

Do you remember the Berocca ad when the guy was running in the train station??

Well heres the new one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSJYq0lEMO0

Possibly in the so bad its good category!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭hairymick

For anyone who banks with AIB when your queing in the bank they have these tv screens showing their tv ads in rotation.The woman from Terenure,the up and coming actor fella etc.Theres one in particular featuring a horse breeder,he has to be the most evil,ruthless looking basterd i've ever seen particulerly the scenes where he's at an auction and the camera focuses on his face.He looks like the kind of guy who'd run you over in his jeep and not bat an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

population wrote: »
    Oh and that fckuing Ikea ad with the girl in the red dress.

Absolutley teeming with continuity errors but I will just cut to the chase on this. The parents look all shocked to see her tagging along and waving in her red dress. "Look at our little girl, only 9 and a rebel!!!"

Only 9 and seems to have her own secret wardrobe from what I can gather. Seriously did she buy it herself with her hard earned cash or some such improbable ****e???

Oh God, I fcuking hate that ad with a hot steaming burning passion.

Yes, how can you be a rebel?! By buying a sensible dress for your daghter's first communion that she'll be able to make use of after the occasion after which you'll go to an airport sized warehouse to buy reasonably priced mass produced furniture. Ha, take that society! Vaclav Havel has nothing on you ya mad Ikea shopper

I like Ikea but that ad is horrible. Could they not have thought of a better tagline or maybe toned down the air of aspirational smugness by ooh say 75%

Another ad that drives me up the wall is that ad that's being shown in cinemas about "What is the European Union doing for you?" The one where where the woman says really innocuos stuff like "You know that euro in your pocket? That's from Europe that is. You can buy stuff with that". No, really?? It's European?? And I can exchange this for goods and services?? I've obviously been too developmentally challenged to figure this out until now. I must be if you're talking to me in a tone that's normally reserved for telling a simpleton 5 year old why he shouldn't swallow crayons. I know I've just sat down to watch a film that's been rated over 18's but you've obviously figured me out

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

whiterob81 wrote: »
    Another ad that drives me up the wall is that ad that's being shown in cinemas about "What is the European Union doing for you?" The one where where the woman says really innocuos stuff like "You know that euro in your pocket? That's from Europe that is. You can buy stuff with that". No, really?? It's European?? And I can exchange this for goods and services?? I've obviously been too developmentally challenged to figure this out until now. I must be if you're talking to me in a tone that's normally reserved for telling a simpleton 5 year old why he shouldn't swallow crayons. I know I've just sat down to watch a film that's been rated over 18's but you've obviously figured me out

Also seems to suggest we wouldn't have popcorn without Europe as well... or eh... seats in the cinema. It's all a bit odd.

At the moment the advert I hate the most is the 11850 advert that puts the phone number to the tune of 'So Dizzy' It doesn't fit and it's horribly out of tune and badly sung.

Actually hate it when any advert uses a well known tune and puts in their own lyrics. Current Muller one is pretty horrible too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Hate that Knorr soup ad with that aryan looking little girl talking about her familys eating habits in a horrible mid-Atlantic accent.Why can't they recruit normal kids for ads?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

that stupid 123.ie add
    and that 11850(nifty fifty) tossbags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

don't know if it has been already posted but the Avonmore milk new wavey bottle with that annoying women makes me want to put my foot through the telly:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

whiterob81 wrote: »

I’m voting no just because of that ad. Specifically because of the way the guy says ‘comfy-safety standards’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

We buy any car...we buy any car...any...any...any...any...car...we buy any car....we buy any car...any...any...any...any

arrrghhhhh :mad:

darkdubh wrote: »
    Hate that Knorr soup ad with that aryan looking little girl talking about her familys eating habits in a horrible mid-Atlantic accent.Why can't they recruit normal kids for ads?

actually there seems to be a glut of really annoying radio ads with kids in them, like that stena line one or that really irritating vhi ad. what's the deal, is there someone in these marketing depts that thinks "Hmm, good concept, I really like the script, very well written but do you know what'll really help sell this product. if we have my darling, precious and in no way spoilt, obnoxious or irritating bundle of joy shouting a badly read version of this script with a d4 accent over the airwaves at people."

• Advertisement

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    don't know if it has been already posted but the Avonmore milk new wavey bottle with that annoying women makes me want to put my foot through the telly:mad:

I don't know why but I actually kind of feel sorry for this woman. that ad just looks like it was really mortifying to take part in

Also seems to suggest we wouldn't have popcorn without Europe as well... or eh... seats in the cinema. It's all a bit odd.

Then you lift up your seat at the end of the film and see made in taiwan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Entec

Anyone see the Eircom ad which is ripping off an identical Vodafone ad? All the residents are supposedly coming back to Eircom so are stripping the red paint off their doors to reveal orange paint underneath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Karsini wrote: »
    Anyone see the Eircom ad which is ripping off an identical Vodafone ad? All the residents are supposedly coming back to Eircom so are stripping the red paint off their doors to reveal orange paint underneath.
    Lmao no, but it sounds hillarious, fair play eircom.

Let me add that i really like that cadburys ad with the giant floating head and Africans making funny faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Grainne101

Oh my God, this might be here already, but that bllody Argos ad, for the big toy sale or whatever, the child is soooooooooooooooo annoying, why why why why why!!!!!! I actually take off my earphones when this comes on to avoid listening to it, just want to rip that child's head off, most irritating ad and accent ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Right now, I hate those stupid idiotic Cost Plus Sofas ads - have you seen their cheap imitation James Bond type ad? Ugh it's actually the worst ad I have ever seen, and then they have this stupid dancer at the end of it and it's just so slutty! Nothing related to sofas at all!

The Knorr ad with that annoying brat of a girl and her irritating family makes me want to puke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Febreeze ad where the mother says "Oh we're going to have to wash your room, it's so smelly!" & then proceeds to spray chemicals all over his furniture.

Or the one where the little kid says "I want to do a poo at Paul's"

Actually any of the bloody air freshener type ad's, they're all awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

They've probably been mentioned many a time before but those Harvey Norman ads are ridiculous.

LAPTOPS!!! COOKERS!!! UMBRELLAS!!! SHOUTING!!!

The person who thought these ads were a good idea should be shot in the street. I am never going to step into a Harvey Norman branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

that natwest bank ad where the staff are being really friendly bugs the life out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

All bank ads for that matter are bile inducing. See here is the thing, if I had fukced up the world, stole mercilessly from everyone on the planet and pi**ed all over any chance future generations may ever have of a reasonable life, I would personally lay low for a bit. But no, instead we have:

"Banks, you see we are actually your mates, everything that is good in the world actually stems solely from us, here have a puppy!" (Puppy repayable over a fixed term on crippling interest rates, if you fall behind we will take your thumbs)

Banks mmmmmm yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

And that bloody West Coast Cooler ad with the smug looking Transvestites on a night out. Why go see a band when you already have the bastards playing non stop everywhere you go anyway???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The new 11850 guys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Mink wrote: »
    Febreeze ad where the mother says "Oh we're going to have to wash your room, it's so smelly!" & then proceeds to spray chemicals all over his furniture.

Or the one where the little kid says "I want to do a poo at Paul's"

Actually any of the bloody air freshener type ad's, they're all awful
    Admin!Can we please ban all future references to the "poo at Paul's place" ad.I think it's well established that everyone hates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

darkdubh wrote: »
    Admin!Can we please ban all future references to the "poo at Paul's place" ad.I think it's well established that everyone hates it.

I didn't exactly read all 104 pages of this thread before posting. It would also be impossible to expect any future new posters to this thread to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

There seems to be a raft of ads involving stage school brats with mini-D4 accents around and they do my head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

hairymick wrote: »
    The Knorr ad with that annoying brat of a girl and her irritating family makes me want to puke.

Agree! :D

Not sure if this one has been mentioned but it is back on our screens again. The Meteor one where those two zombies get locked in the freezer. Both lad and lass are intensely annoying but her especially. She has the manners of a sewer rat with her "do this, do that" demands. But it is when she opens her eyes wide and comes out with "yeah, in 4 hours" in a like, so sarcastic tone :rolleyes: when yer mano won't ring anyone else that really makes my skin feel like it is crawling with maggots.

If I was him, I would wait for Tim, run out as quickly as possible and shut the freezer door again before that one can get out. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Agree! :D

Not sure if this one has been mentioned but it is back on our screens again. The Meteor one where those two zombies get locked in the freezer. Both lad and lass are intensely annoying but her especially. She has the manners of a sewer rat with her "do this, do that" demands. But it is when she opens her eyes wide and comes out with "yeah, in 4 hours" in a like, so sarcastic tone :rolleyes: when yer mano won't ring anyone else that really makes my skin feel like it is crawling with maggots.

If I was him, I would wait for Tim, run out as quickly as possible and shut the freezer door again before that one can get out. :D

I just think it's just a stupid ad.
    The premise is:
    Guy would prefer they both freeze to death than spend 20-30c on a life-saving one minute call to one his mates.

No matter how you slice it, that has nothing to do with the cost of vodafone/meteor/o2 calls.
    It has everything to do with one guy's poor judgement/incredible stinginess and/or mental health problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement