Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

funsize wrote: »
    Have some respect, the man represented Ireland in the Olympics, won a medal, might have got gold were it not for a scoring system error, became a legend on the world stage, and then had to go back to live in the Dutch Village in Clondalkin and drink in Boomers.

If punching toilet roll helps you get through the hard times, then punch away, our Ken.
    Ok, no worries. I do have respect for our Ken. It's Mace I blame. It was obviously their idea for him to punch the toilet rolls and the Domestos and the Fig Rolls.. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

kenon wrote: »
    I despise those Gillette ads with Federer, Woods....and that french guy...can't think of his name....

I've always hated those, especially after tonight.
    Really if you were that disgustingly rich, why would you sacrifice your dignity to appear in these humourless ads?

I can never understand why wealthy sportspeople or movie stars do it, have they not enough money? Maybe some donate the proceeds to charity but I'm guessing they're the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

cashback wrote: »
    have they not enough money?

No. No they have not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Renualt Scrap Scheme.

"Reporter" chasing politician; politician drives off in Renualt car; reporter turns around to the camera with a sheepish face...

It is at that point when I want to smash a box of a dozen eggs into his puss. cool.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Renualt Scrap Scheme.

"Reporter" chasing politician; politician drives off in Renualt car; reporter turns around to the camera with a sheepish face...

It is at that point when I want to smash a box of a dozen eggs into his puss. cool.gif

And the "politician" was formerly:

The TV License Inspector
    Recovering Smoker in Nicorette ad
    Barman and drug dealer in Fair City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

baalthor wrote: »
    And the "politician" was formerly:

The TV License Inspector
    Recovering Smoker in Nicorette ad
    Barman and drug dealer in Fair City
    Thats not as bad as that twat whos in the Dominoes or 4-Star ads, the Currys "It prints money" ads, "Ive installed more kitchens than Ive had hot dinners", The "We'll take it from here guys" scratchcard ads, hands that b1tch her slippers after she gets out of the bath for some soup and God knows how many other ads he's been in, he must be dirt cheap or something, I cannot stand his stupid face, and its always a sh1t ad when hes in it, every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Great critique of Christmas ads by Charlie Brooker in the Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/nov/16/charlie-brooker-christmas-television-adverts

More UK focused obviously but very accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

efb wrote: »
    Meteor ad atm! Aaaargh!

This one.

Who on Earth thought that smug, bearded fool was the right face for their ads? Amazingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Ciaran B wrote: »
    This one.

Who on Earth thought that smug, bearded fool was the right face for their ads? Amazingly bad.

And it's quite funny that its whole angle seems to be that one set of "cool carrollers"(wtf!!!), is going to stick it to the smug middle class d4 "not cool carrollers". So what better way to distinguish the "cool carrollers" from the "not cool characters" than by using a load of smug middle class d4 twats to represent the "cool carrollers" aswell????

If anyone rang me to say "its a carroll off" I would simply say "F*ck off"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Actually mods is it possible to set up a seperate "radio ads you despise" thread. I know some people post their most hated radio ads here, but it would do some business if it had its own thread I reckon.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

population wrote: »
    Actually mods is it possible to set up a seperate "radio ads you despise" thread. I know some people post their most hated radio ads here, but it would do some business if it had its own thread I reckon.............
    Very strong possibility of such a thread in the Radio forum. Ahem. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭woolyhat

The Elveve ad.(weak limp lifeless) Girl start off with a very pronounced Welch accent and end up with a totaly diffirent accent,Come on girls we'r worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Like others have said the Meteor Christmas ad. The guy with the beard is such a smug git.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

all the bulmers adverts that were ever made.. i dont know how they do it, but they always manage to pick a song that i utterly despise..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Those bloody Nintendo ads with those two geordie f*cks rabbiting on to whoever...no-one wants to see how the game finished on the website either, now piss off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

amdublin wrote: »
    The new Texaco ads with the Americans talking about their American cars.

That ad is retarded, and there's a radio version too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

all the bulmers adverts that were ever made.. i dont know how they do it, but they always manage to pick a song that i utterly despise..

Spot on. I hate those ads, and I hate the people in those ads. Being all semi-casual and smug, lazing around having barbecues with the token half cast guy in the background with the afro hair that everyone wants to be seen with.

Give me a break! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

Like others have said the Meteor Christmas ad. The guy with the beard is such a smug git.

I saw his face on a huge poster today:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Spot on. I hate those ads, and I hate the people in those ads. Being all semi-casual and smug, lazing around having barbecues with the token half cast guy in the background with the afro hair that everyone wants to be seen with.

Give me a break! :D

Brilliant, nail on the head. It's such a lazy way to portray a real "cool", "happening" bunch of people, i've seen this crowd of people in countless ads movies music videos etc. and it's so true the always have a light skinned black person with a cool afro a la Lenny Kravitz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Those SafeFood ads, paid for by taxpayers money, telling us to cook meat properly. FFS!

Do you know what we had before all this health 'n' safety nonsense?

Common sense, thats what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Being an ad for a supposedly good cause doesn't excuse this ultra annoying sh1te:

Are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet???????

No, goat, we're not. But when we do get there I hope they slit your fuppin throat!!!!

ollaetta wrote: »
    Being an ad for a supposedly good cause doesn't excuse this ultra annoying sh1te:

Are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet???????

No, goat, we're not. But when we do get there I hope they slit your fuppin throat!!!!
    Ah come on, that's a bit harsh.

Sure doesn't everyone want a goat? :)

"Hey minister, how's this for a recession buster." The ad for the double cheese burger at Burger King done in a thick agricultural accent. I f**kin' hate that ad.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    That dreadful Bertie/Louie Walsh Spar Ad - what muppet thought that idea through eh?

It looks like they bought the Bertie/Louis images and contracted the guys to do the voices, then D'OH!!!, Bertie steps down, but now they've blown all their advertising budget and now they're stuck with those stupid ads for two years... :rolleyes:

The most punchable face in television at the moment...

Brilliant, nail on the head. It's such a lazy way to portray a real "cool", "happening" bunch of people, i've seen this crowd of people in countless ads movies music videos etc. and it's so true the always have a light skinned black person with a cool afro a la Lenny Kravitz.

I'd add that they're nearly always in some undefined "cool" city which is a mixture of San Francisco, Havana and Barcelona, but which is never actually identified with a real identifiable landmark.

The other type of "cool" ad which I hate -and which is very prevalent at the moment - is the "I called a guy in Iceland, who called a guy in Texas, who gave me the number of a guy in Hong Kong, who put me in touch with a suicide bomber in Pakistan, etc., etc." type of ad.

There's one where the guy makes the snow in the yard and goes "Merry Christmas babe" as she looks out the window. I'd fuppin' love it if his naked brother peeped out from behind her, up in the bedroom window. Now that would be a funny ad! :D

The other one is that Eva Mendes stalker ad for Vodafone. It's so bad, you have to see it to believe it. I mean is it supposed to be funny or something? Wasn't someone jailed lately for something similar involving Britney Spears or someone like that? Have these ad agencies no clue at all? It's not funny or clever. It's just plain creepy. :mad::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

LOL on the smug beardy git in the Meteor Christmas carol ad !
    +1 on the Bertie & Louis trash.

There's this slick advert for An Post delivery service on these evenings.
    From an advert agency point of view it does what it says on the tin.
    It's just the actor who does it just grates with me....

Who is the actor/voiceover guy ? Tall slim dude in a suit.

He embodies smugness and his short-quip uber confidence grates on me big time. Reminds me of the type of person I'd never want to work for as a boss ;)

He looks familiar .. was he in the Clinic or something ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

All of them

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

I'll be honest I have not read the past 112 pages of posts so forgive me if I repeat an advert already mentioned. That darn Autoglass repair advert does my head in. Guy obviously practiced his script a lot. Seen the same advert for the English market and the guy in their advert is not half as annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

mandz wrote: »
    I'll be honest I have not read the past 112 pages of posts so forgive me if I repeat an advert already mentioned. That darn Autoglass repair advert does my head in. Guy obviously practiced his script a lot. Seen the same advert for the English market and the guy in their advert is not half as annoying.

He sounds like a bloody robot. Mini-pause between every word. Highly annoying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement