Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Much as though there may be the odd TV ad out there that is actually better than some of the drivel that passes for programmes nowadays, there's a lot to be said for the dear old BBC. Even RTÉ, who receive quite a pasting from time to time on these boards, have their ad breaks restricted in duration and frequency. Compare them with the likes of 'Bravo', the ad breaks on there are so long and so often, you're in danger of forgetting what you were watching in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah most channels are unwatchable these days, thats why I stopped paying for NTL, now I just download everything, even when you download stuff the amount of "Coming Up Next" segments that spoil the action gets annoying, if you had to watch a 5 minute ad break on top of that every time it happened I wouldnt bother at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

That new Cost Plus Sofas ad for beds...how small was the budget of that ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

darkdubh wrote: »
    Just when i think i've seen the last of that lottery ad with the fat weirdo pretending to be a baby they go ahead and revive it again.
    There is something very off about those ads.
    Did the fat sideburns man scoop the jackpot and then hire a team of women to dress up like old fashioned nurses and treat him like a baby? Way creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

MoreThan Freeman!

FFS!:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Since I started going to the gym recently, I've noticed an ad on one of the dance tv stations for Iceland (the shop).

A bunch of women in their late 30's / early 40's dancing in a Moulin Rouge style sequence while desperately trying not to burst out of their corsets, which are hanging on for dear life!

"That's why Mums go to Iceland!"

Wrecks my head :mad:

"du du dudu du du....1890 du du du du dudu!!...."

:mad:

Puke ad! Pat Shortt used be funny once upon a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

The inevitable tidal wave of health-conscious ads that do the rounds every January have begun. Leading the way is Martine McCutcheon with more "TLC" b-locks. Standard issue annoying nonsense from MMC, now featuring dancing cutlery....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

I hate that ad for some flash new car which has two freaky ugly heads looking down on it. :rolleyes:

There's also ads for hair colouring which usually involves people with black hair that are precieved as bitches :confused:

But the series of ads that annoy me, and have done for years, is the yoghurt ads with that awful Nina Simone song. They keep recycling and remixing and rehashing it and it's so god damn fúking annoying! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Mikosyko wrote: »
    But the series of ads that annoy me, and have done for years, is the yoghurt ads with that awful Nina Simone song. They keep recycling and remixing and rehashing it and it's so god damn fúking annoying! :mad:

Aye, they killed a good song to death! I'm a big Nina Simone fan but I find it hard to listen to the original of it now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

"du du dudu du du....1890 du du du du dudu!!...."

:mad:

Puke ad! Pat Shortt used be funny once upon a time.

Ah, you got there before me. This is on nearly ad break now. It's embarrassingly bad. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

el diablo wrote: »
    Ah, you got there before me. This is on nearly ad break now. It's embarrassingly bad. :rolleyes:

I hear they have a set of Brendan O'Carroll ones coming up soon :eek:

OTT what has Waitrose got to do with Superquinn they seem to be using the same price check ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

[QUOTE= It's embarrassingly bad. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Eh, that is the actual joke fellas! Cringe worthy certaintly, maddining, no I think not. Without Pat Shortt it would be though. I see 'Go Compare' bloke is back again. And even though this time he's 'silent', I still somehow get this insatial desire to let him have a good whack of a hurl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

When you're worried about your tiny babeeeeeees, and your hus-baaaaaaand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lamb_of_God

8 20 20 20......AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH and that new one on tv .....1800 222222 F**K SAKE GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:mad::mad::mad::mad: I'm gonna put my F**KIN HEAD through my F88KIN tv screen!!!!

Those two meteor ads with the girl and man phoning their friends who are working abroad.
    Is this ad government propoganda trying to get young people out of the country?
    The man and woman who emmigrated are very successful, happy and well spoken.
    The friends who stayed in Ireland are obviously unemployed morons with stupid accents who
    have nothing better to do than stalk ex-boyfriends and disrupt their high-flying friends lives by ringing them constantly and talking absolute sh*t.

Moral of the story - emmigrate now and you will become instantly rich and successful.
    Stay in Ireland and you turn into a brainless sad-act with no life and no friends.

Those two meteor ads with the girl and man phoning their friends who are working abroad.
    The friends who stayed in Ireland are obviously unemployed morons with stupid accents who
    have nothing better to do than stalk ex-boyfriends and disrupt their high-flying friends lives by ringing them constantly and talking absolute sh*t.

Moral of the story - emmigrate now and you will become instantly rich and successful.
    Stay in Ireland and you turn into a brainless sad-act with no life and no friends.

Yes! I think it is funny how they are still aiming themselves at the international phone call market but this time its aimed at the Irish!

Also it seems to be the same time in the US as in Ireland, great service from meteor.

Either that or it is an ad about the brain drain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Are you equating regional accents with stupidity?How does that explain Jedward then?

Are you equating regional accents with stupidity?How does that explain Jedward then?

I think 1890 22 22 22 should be our entry to Eurovision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Elmo wrote: »

It's the melody for "Strangers In the Night" isnt it?

It's the melody for "Strangers In the Night" isnt it?

My Lovely Horse :D

I can just imagine it now a duet between Pat Short and Linda Martin.

Entry B at this years Eurosong "You'll Be Glad You Called", written by One Direct, performed by Pat Short and Linda Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

"A little bit of weather won't stand in our way!" Actimel - full of life sh*te.

Elmo wrote: »

Nah it has to be 'Horse Outside'.

No, I'm saying that even though the friends are from the same area the ones who phone from Ireland have really stupid comedy accents.

As for Jedward, they defy all known logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

For me, the worst ads on telly have to be those no win-no fee injury/personal claims lawyer ads. Every time i see one i want to put my foot through the telly. What I hate about them is the whole 'sue the **** out of everyone and hold others responsible for your own stupidity' message that they're putting across, and the fact that they're promoting frivolous lawsuits.

It's **** like this that is ruining society, givng every opportunist, piss taking scumbag out therethe means to **** other people over, andits the reason why we cant have nice things any more!:mad:

personally i want to see the concepts of 'common sense' and 'cop the **** on' being given higher standing in our society. Highly unlikely though!:mad::mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxBdao6b28U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld2m1y8jSnE&feature=related

the second link i provided is actually kind of funny, the clumsy biatch could've at least used her compensation cash to get a decent hairdo!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Jezzington

New McDonald's ad with that smirking mouthy spiv love child of Derek Trotter and Robbie Keane - "It wrecks the cheese". Shame someone doesn't wreck him. It's set in Dublin (11 out of 10 for originality there...) Compulsory snooze inducing references to English football - Let's call the team "City", we're soooo caught up in drooling over the new (Blackburn) "Rovers", we hardly need to give their full name, and of course the compulsory smug comments about Longford from scobie Del Boy Keano...
    *Grrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

"Record breakers, record makers" *Biblical Shudder* The only thing more grating than a camp cheesey song, is a camp cheesey song sung by a whiney bunch of kids. I had a nightmare about being stuck on a bus with this lot. They were moving onto "Ulysses, Ulysses, soaring through all the galaxies" after exhausting Roy Castle's pride and joy.

Jezzington wrote: »
    New McDonald's ad with that smirking mouthy spiv love child of Derek Trotter and Robbie Keane - "It wrecks the cheese". Shame someone doesn't wreck him. It's set in Dublin (11 out of 10 for originality there...) Compulsory snooze inducing references to English football - Let's call the team "City", we're soooo caught up in drooling over the new (Blackburn) "Rovers", we hardly need to give their full name, and of course the compulsory smug comments about Longford from scobie Del Boy Keano...
    *Grrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

"Record breakers, record makers" *Biblical Shudder* The only thing more grating than a camp cheesey song, is a camp cheesey song sung by a whiney bunch of kids. I had a nightmare about being stuck on a bus with this lot. They were moving onto "Ulysses, Ulysses, soaring through all the galaxies" after exhausting Roy Castle's pride and joy.

I think they are talking about Shamrock Rovers not Blackburn. They are suggesting that in year X the Airtrcity league is better than the English League.

Yeah whats the Record Breakers ad? I keep hearing it but don't know what it is for?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Feel young skating babies water advert. Hate hate hate it. Change the channel when that comes on. Hate it!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

liger wrote: »
    Feel young skating babies water advert. Hate hate hate it. Change the channel when that comes on. Hate it!!!!!

Agreed. It's somewhat freaky.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement