Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

efb wrote: »
    Windows 7 with the obnoxious middle Britain family

george being george...

Totally agree, really annoying.....but then again I have to declare an interest here, I'm plainly and simply opposed to anything micosoft.

Macs lead the way......all the way!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Karsini wrote: »
    Vodafone's "Blackberry boys" ad, ugh.
    xsiborg wrote: »
    just saw this tonight, i get the concept- crackberrys arent just for business users any more, etc, but the advert itself is just... well, vodafone marketing department should just hang their collective heads in shame! :rolleyes:

I really like this ad

*hangs head in shame"

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 soul.less wonder

xsiborg wrote: »
    just saw this tonight, i get the concept- crackberrys arent just for business users any more, etc, but the advert itself is just... well, vodafone marketing department should just hang their collective heads in shame! :rolleyes:

i dont object to the concept either but the 'song' is just shockingly bad. and to make matters worse they are running a radio add with the same terrible assault on the eardrums with the tag line 'vodafone have a hit on their hands'....ehhh no! it sounds like primary school children wrote it for some kinda play

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

But don't you see, the ad is working by the fact you are discussing it on an internet forum? I'm sure others are criticizing it at watercoolers, elsewhere etc. The word and the brand is being shared beyond the actual advert itself which is an advertisers/marketeer's dream! The ad agency nor Vodafone is hanging it's head in shame but rather high fiving eachother for a successful campaign. How many of you are discussing the non descript stain remover ad or the salad dressing ad or the pvc windows ad from last night. None? Those companies are hanging their heads in shame from consumer indifference!

I admit I can't stand the ad either as it is now in my head for the last hour..again, the advertisers are succeeding!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ongarboy wrote: »
    How many of you are discussing the non descript stain remover ad or the salad dressing ad or the pvc windows ad from last night. None?

We have discussed Febreze and CillitBang, I know its not a salad dressing but Fedelma from gelroe dancing around a kitchen for Knorr or something has been discussed and the ad for AutoGlass on plenty occassions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Sorry if this was already posted. It was on last night and took up an entire ad break slot on TV3.

An embarrassing attempt to be down with the kids...what were they thinking??

zac8 wrote: »
    Sorry if this was already posted. It was on last night and took up an entire ad break slot on TV3.

Still it seems quite well produced. TV3 Executive "Chic Ching!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Jezzington

That Fred-Bet ad on Sky Sports with the baldy little Sean Boylan lookalike standing there in his George Webbs and shirt tucked into his black Wranglers, (well, they look like Wranglers, and that alone is enough to despise him) smiling and smirking about the job he's about to pull on easily led saps. The way the camera zooms in on his face as he looks away smiling as if he is saying only a mug would turn their nose up at him, is especially galling. I get the impression he is a Bololcks to work for too, for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the johnny vegas ad for the large sizes clothes shop

Wonga

Trying to push a new word for money on to the world through an advert :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

ongarboy wrote: »
    But don't you see, the ad is working by the fact you are discussing it on an internet forum? I'm sure others are criticizing it at watercoolers, elsewhere etc. The word and the brand is being shared beyond the actual advert itself which is an advertisers/marketeer's dream! The ad agency nor Vodafone is hanging it's head in shame but rather high fiving eachother for a successful campaign. How many of you are discussing the non descript stain remover ad or the salad dressing ad or the pvc windows ad from last night. None? Those companies are hanging their heads in shame from consumer indifference!

I admit I can't stand the ad either as it is now in my head for the last hour..again, the advertisers are succeeding!

***SIGH***

I HATE when people say that whenever someone criticises an ad. "Oh, they got your attention, didn't they? That was the point"

Eh, they got my attention, but if the ad is bad enough I purposely avoid the product/service.

For example, I've never been to Kildare village, and I never will, purely based on the ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

but, oh my god its 70% off!

fcuk off back to george in glenroe you annoying yank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

WTF was that :confused::confused:.

That was the weirdest ad for a biscuit I've ever seen! Are they trying to be like the Cadbury's ads? (Which, by the way, were mostly a bit of a let-down after the gorilla drummer)

BTW, the red-head is frickin HOT :P:p

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Haven't seen this on TV yet, just watched the You Tube post by Zac8. It is actually very well produced, if a little long! With creative editing I could see them making a 'series' of short versions of these ads. I imagine it would cost a fortune to run that in it's entireity on a channel with more than a handful of viewers! Can't have been cheap to produce this either, they're going to need to sell a 5hit load of bickies to pay for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

MACHEAD wrote: »
    Haven't seen this on TV yet, just watched the You Tube post by Zac8. It is actually very well produced, if a little long! With creative editing I could see them making a 'series' of short versions of these ads. I imagine it would cost a fortune to run that in it's entireity on a channel with more than a handful of viewers! Can't have been cheap to produce this either, they're going to need to sell a 5hit load of bickies to pay for that.
    I'm old enough to remember their ads in the 80's with those weird life size puppet things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

For some reason i dont like the VHI ads on telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Saw "The Blackberry Boys" for the first time the other night....oh dear :mad:

Gillette Fusion Challenge, with yer man bursting into a dressing room (watch out for the bloke shaving who actually jumps at yer man's loud "Woooo" right at the start)....what a wally.

I have to turn off that awful vhi ad whenever it comes on. Yer wan talking total rubbish about "it was like..........a real ER......situaaaaation." and "There.........were.........complicaaaaations".

Those futuristic McDonalds ads, awful nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

RVD420 wrote: »

Gillette Fusion Challenge, with yer man bursting into a dressing room (watch out for the bloke shaving who actually jumps at yer man's loud "Woooo" right at the start)....what a wally.

/Scottish accent - "Thats gliding" :mad:

It's been said before I'd say here, but the denny ad with that sour faced wagon getting married, "nooooo gang gang has to go with me" /vomits

calex71 wrote: »
    It's been said before I'd say here, but the denny ad with that sour faced wagon getting married, "nooooo gang gang has to go with me" /vomits

Here I will post the savage eye again

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Number 10 Shirt

I wouldn't say I despise it but that envirofone ad is a bit stupid. The couple in it seem way too happy for themselves ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

That Gillette Pro Fusion Challenge ad wrecks my head.

Gillette ads are always so generic and look voiced-over, you can probably see that ad with the short presenter guy with an American and Aussie accent too.

It must be a weird career having to market Gillette razors though. They have to basically argue every time that their last product wasn't actually the closest shave known to mankind like they claimed at the time but their latest one is! And there's usually only about three or four months in between.

If I was in a changing room and some freakishly short man with a camera crew suddenly burst in yelling "WOOO! HEY BUDDY!" I wouyld probably slit his throat with the razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I just seen that Blackberry ad, its awful so stupid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

STIG83 wrote: »
    I just seen that Blackberry ad, its awful so stupid!!

Yeah spot the white guy, looks like all the Vodafone Customer support team in India were used to make the ad :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭SHREDDER

Never mind the kids!? Whats Johnnie Depps Midget cousin doing there!?

Who gives a Shiit about the embarressment of the add. The sexy women, the absolute over kill and sexual overtones in this advert gives it a thumbs up from me. If only more adverts were like this.:D

SHREDDER wrote: »
    Never mind the kids!? Whats Johnnie Depps Midget cousin doing there!?

Who gives a Shiit about the embarressment of the add. The sexy women, the absolute over kill and sexual overtones in this advert gives it a thumbs up from me. If only more adverts were like this.:D

Second thoughts, after giving it a full watch. I'd be mortified to be part of this ad. The shame of it.................... Oh, the shame of it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Elmo wrote: »
    Wonga

Trying to push a new word for money on to the world through an advert :mad:
    God,i detest those ads.That new one with that fat guy multiplying into numerous versions of himself up on a mountain top makes me wish for an avalance to sweep the annoying git(s) away.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Travy1991

Oh TV ads are so annoying! I'm glad this thread exists!

The Denny ad with the bride saying "Gang gang has to come with me" annoys the **** out of me - I don't know why! I think it's trying to portray a rural family experiencing a warm family moment while eating Denny but it just looks like someone's wedding video. I'm from the country myself but something about the ad just shows rural Ireland as being all simple and mundane - the bride doesn't even look the tiniest bit excited about getting married either. And the sausage being dipped in the yolk of the fried egg - I don't know but that just makes me want to puke!

I don't really mind the commercial of the mother dancing. The film quality is really good unlike a number of Irish commercials.

I dislike the McDonalds ads. The "Futuristic Dublin" concept is cool but the guys in the ad are a bunch of pasty faced, annoying ****ers. Plus the CGI on the four eyed girl they're checking out is crap!

Amanda Brunker annoys me full stop! Her twirling around in that furniture ad acting like she's some '50s movie star just shows us how full of herself she is! If she had a better personality, I would definitely like her because she's pretty decent looking but she comes across as fame hungry.

Hate the ads for gum disease ads! Do we really wanna see someone's teeth falling out?

The Pat Shortt ads with him singing "Doo-doo-doo-1890-doo-doo-doo". **** off, Pat! You stopped being funny along time ago!

The Meteor ads, particularly the one with the guy coming up from the London Underground and he gets a call from some friend with the stupid comical roaring accent! "I wonder what goes through a sheep's head..." WHY WON'T YOU ****ING HANG UP ON HIM!? Especially as there's a hot lady waiting for you!

"I like old movies...like The Godfawver...Fhree...it's nut cunsidered the best one...but that's just me...That's just me! Find your match!"

The Jennifer Garner make-up (or hair?) ad! Normally I don't have a problem with JG but she's kind of strange looking in this ad...and annoying!

11850 with the Ginger Muppets!

The Lotto ads!

Oh I'm so filled with rage and hate for so many ads!

Praise for the Lotto ad!

Not the current set with the fool camouflaged

Elmo wrote: »
    Praise for the Lotto ad!

Not the current set with the fool camouflaged

An add so bland you don't even know what has happened by the time it's over.

• Advertisement

SHREDDER wrote: »
    An add so bland you don't even know what has happened by the time it's over.

Funny the amount of people that I have sat be side on the train going from Connolly to Tara who have said Look their is the bridge from the lotto ad. (They just shout it randomly, I tend to get out of Tara and wait for the next dart :) )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement