Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The one where the son thanks his father for putting sunscreen on him as a child, and for giving him condoms on his debs night.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 JackPerry

The one where the son thanks his father for putting sunscreen on him as a child, and for giving him condoms on his debs night.

Am I correct in thinking this ad has been modified since first viewing?
    I'm sure in an earlier version we actually see the condom the father hands to the son.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Awful new McDonalds ad with kids talking about what they want to be when they grow up. It looks like some birthday party or the like... Then at the end of the ad ya just see 2-3 of the kids leaving with the parents....did they just leave the others in McD's to make their own way home?

The main kid is kinda creepy too.... He never blinks and he speaks in this weird monotonous robotic voice. Himself and the Birds Eye polar bear would make a great serial killer double act :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

RVD420 wrote: »
    Awful new McDonalds ad with kids talking about what they want to be when they grow up. It looks like some birthday party or the like... Then at the end of the ad ya just see 2-3 of the kids leaving with the parents....did they just leave the others in McD's to make their own way home?

There are four kids talking bout what they want to be when they grow up - when they leave, 2 of the kids are now mum & dad - even wearing adult versions of the same clothes. The kid who says he wants to be an astronaut is the dad.

Agree, it's a creepy ad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

RVD420 wrote: »

The main kid is kinda creepy too.... He never blinks and he speaks in this weird monotonous robotic voice. Himself and the Birds Eye polar bear would make a great serial killer double act :pac:

The concept of the ad is that when you bring your kids to McDonalds you relate to them better ie it is like you are all kids together.

I don't know how didn't pick up on that tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

JackPerry wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking this ad has been modified since first viewing?
    I'm sure in an earlier version we actually see the condom the father hands to the son.

No. Definitely no condom pictured ever in my recollection. And I watch a lot of tv :D

It's just a friendly word to be careful. Hey they're 17 - he could actually be saying don't go too far (ie don't have sex) rather than use a condom son.

I actually really like that ad. I especially like the part where he makes him wear a helmet "even though you said it made you look like a girl" and then you see the boy mouthing "I look like a guurrl". The way he says guurrl is so cute :)

It tugs at my heart strings a bit that ad. And I know that is the aim, but sure what harm, to be fair to Irish Life it is an important message to get out there that people need to think about financially providing for their families if they get sick or died.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The McCambridges bread radio advert.
    Where the kid whines 'It's just not the same'. It makes me want to slap him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 baby8music

The VHI ad where the (corkonian) woman worries 'about her tiny babies' really gets up my goat!! Any of the GO COMARE ads piss me off no end too. Oh the hatred of certain advertising!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,357 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Those ads for the soap dispenser that you don't have to touch. You are going to wash your hands! Why does it matter whether you touch the dispenser. And you tend to be pretty well immune to the 'germs' in your own environment. But most of all the kids would have the soap all used up in 15 minutes, playing with the dispenser.

baby8music wrote: »
    The VHI ad where the (corkonian) woman worries 'about her tiny babies' really gets up my goat!! Any of the GO COMARE ads piss me off no end too. Oh the hatred of certain advertising!! :mad:

It's actually her tiny baybeeez

How annoying.

And the other one who is one of those mothers who thinks the sun shines out of her daughters backside: oh she's just wonderful, shes surf-fing, she's sing-ing, shes dancing.

Big swing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The VHI ad where the (corkonian) woman worries 'about her tiny babies' really gets up my goat!!
    amdublin wrote: »
    It's actually her tiny baybeeez

How annoying.

Maybe it's because she's a girl and I'm a boy, but I find it very cute how she says "tiny baybees" and "yer husbehnd" in that Cork accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

amdublin wrote: »
    It tugs at my heart strings a bit that ad. And I know that is the aim, but sure what harm, to be fair to Irish Life it is an important message to get out there that people need to think about financially providing for their families if they get sick or died.

Yeah they did well with that ad covers all the basis

Always wear sun cream
    Always wear a bicycle helmet
    For god sake don't get her pregnant
    And use this money to do your exams (don't get wasted you nob head).

No condom in the ad, the radio ad doesn't use that part of the ad because it prob wouldn't work on radio.
    Maybe it's because she's a girl and I'm a boy, but I find it very cute how she says "tiny baybees" and "yer husbehnd" in that Cork accent!

Sounds like a Kerry accent to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Elmo wrote: »

I thought Cork was in Kerry.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    I thought Cork was in Kerry.

:eek:

The Actimel ad:

'Full of exclusive bacteria L. Casei!!

How can they have exclusive bacteria?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

Nah, it's Cork all right! Fairly ok ad to the point where she puts worrying about her babies in the same sentence as worrying about her husband - as though he needs as much looking after as the newborns after she's the one who had the traumatic experience! :D

Used to hate those (I think) Activia ads, where the main ingredient was 'bifidus actiregularis'. Acti-regular-is? Really? Sounds like a subconscious message to be regularly active, and attribute the positive consequences to the magical properties of Activia, to me...

Nah, it's Cork all right! Fairly ok ad to the point where she puts worrying about her babies in the same sentence as worrying about her husband - as though he needs as much looking after as the newborns after she's the one who had the traumatic experience! :D

Sorry the C section one, I thought we where still talking about the sinGing and the sRuFfing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I absolutely hate the premature perspiration one for Lynx.... weird, weird weird!

And I agree...worrying about her "tiny babies and her husband" wrecks my head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

that new bulmers ad with david macwilliams:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

The Radio ad with Jason Sherlock trying to get you to stay in some hotel or other, paired with Micheal O whatshisface.
    Radio get switched instantly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    that new bulmers ad with david macwilliams:mad:
    All those ad's are terrible,the most annoying tv advertising campgain in years.

Yeah they did well with that ad covers all the basis

Always wear sun cream
    Always wear a bicycle helmet
    For god sake don't get her pregnant
    And use this money to do your exams (don't get wasted you nob head).

No condom in the ad, the radio ad doesn't use that part of the ad because it prob wouldn't work on radio.

Sounds painful/whingy to me!!

Sounds painful/whingy to me!!

The accent in the VHI ad or the Irish Life advice ad? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Go Compare :mad: any of them :mad:

The accent in the VHI ad or the Irish Life advice ad? :D

All of them are terrible, another ad that drives me insane is the new Centra ad where they throw a street party, Meave will help......'you'll need more ice that that.....' Thanks Centra for charging me a fortune !!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I hope Niamh from the VHI ad doesn't read Boards! One thing about that ad that almost annoys me more than "your tiny baybeez, and your husbend" is near the start when she says "It was a real kind of E.R situation?"
    It's not a question, so why does her voice go up?
    I assume that what she's saying is that it was a very dramatic situation that also took place in a hospital. But she could've just said it was scary or something.
    It's only a little thing but it really bugs me, probably more due to the way she says it.

I hope Niamh from the VHI ad doesn't read Boards! One thing about that ad that almost annoys me more than "your tiny baybeez, and your husbend" is near the start when she says "It was a real kind of E.R situation?"
    It's not a question, so why does her voice go up?I assume that what she's saying is that it was a very dramatic situation that also took place in a hospital. But she could've just said it was scary or something.
    It's only a little thing but it really bugs me, probably more due to the way she says it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_rising_terminal

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

looksee wrote: »
    Those ads for the soap dispenser that you don't have to touch. You are going to wash your hands! Why does it matter whether you touch the dispenser. And you tend to be pretty well immune to the 'germs' in your own environment. But most of all the kids would have the soap all used up in 15 minutes, playing with the dispenser.

Yes! Another sane person who sees the futility of that ad!! :-)

Also hate those ones for some kind of bacteria-filled yogurty drink that are meant to be a take on Bridget Jones (the one where her "decidedly chirpy friend" glugs back the yogurt and is therefore living the life others can only dream of) - MAKES ME WANNA BREAK THE TV!!!

looksee wrote: »
    fonril wrote: »
    Yes! Another sane person who sees the futility of that ad!! :-)

Yes... it's the dumbest, most ridiculous product in the world. Born of marketers' desire to "create demand" through advertising.

fonril wrote: »
    Also hate those ones for some kind of bacteria-filled yogurty drink that are meant to be a take on Bridget Jones (the one where her "decidedly chirpy friend" glugs back the yogurt and is therefore living the life others can only dream of) - MAKES ME WANNA BREAK THE TV!!!

+1

As if drinking Actimel is some sort of life-affirming act! She's not being smiled at by the attractive man in the lift because she drinks Actimel for goodness sake! He's smiling at her because she's a hottie in a nice suit! Are people so dumb that they don't see this? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It's not a question, so why does her voice go up?
    I assume that what she's saying is that it was a very dramatic situation that also took place in a hospital. But she could've just said it was scary or something.

It annoys the hell out of me as well. You would swear she was the first women ever to have an emergency C-section. She's very smug, very annoying and those twins are going to be a right annoying pair of fcukers when they grow up. And she makes out that her husband would burn the house down making a cup of tea.

I also hate that hoi polloi trollop going on about her kenco and the vintage bike that the husband gave her.

And I also don't like the ads for the british supermarket CO-OP with the scottish accent - "the co-op - gud with fud". grrrrrr .... it's "FOOD"!!!!.:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement