Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Thomas

Gear

Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I don't like wasps - and I certainly don't like the Ariel Stain Remover ad that features them disturbing a picnic.

It probably wouldn't be quite so bad if there weren't any big, and rather grotesque, close-ups of the creatures...

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

It probably wouldn't be quite so bad if there weren't any big, and rather grotesque, close-ups of the creatures...

'Grotesque and evil' - you left out the 'evil' bit. I mean what else is it that they actually do, apart from sting everything and everyone in sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

All of WLRFMs ads:D Terrible:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

efb wrote: »
    largely cos he's in it!!!

Not unlike the UPC ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

efb wrote: »

I get particularly irked by the ones where he says at the end: "I bet you didn't expect Everest to be doing that today? :rolleyes:"
    First, it's the smug attitude of proving us all wrong in our assumptions about Everest.
    Second, it's the smug assumption that I've ever thought about Everest once in my entire life in the first place! I hadn't even heard of them before these ads!
    Like I lie awake at night thinking about Everest and their lovely windows!

I get particularly irked by the ones where he says at the end: "I bet you didn't expect Everest to be doing that today? :rolleyes:"

Or as we put it here

"I bet you didn't expect UPC to be doing that today? :rolleyes:"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

How bad is the TV3/3e ad for Family Guy, is the voice over guy trying to sound like Peter Griffin, simply awful.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How bad is the TV3/3e ad for Family Guy, is the voice over guy trying to sound like Peter Griffin, simply awful.

It's absolutely dreadful! And the worst thing is that all weekend it followed or preceded the ad for Oxegen bookending every ad break on 3e with the bizarre and creepy heavy breathing at the end.
    Slightly off topic, but I also hate the painfully obvious pronouncements of the continuity announcers over the credits of programmes on 3e: "That Peter is some guy. A family guy!" or "Wow! Peter really is fat! I wouldn't like to be that fat!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

First, it's the smug attitude of proving us all wrong in our assumptions about Everest.
    Second, it's the smug assumption that I've ever thought about Everest once in my entire life in the first place! I hadn't even heard of them before these ads!
    Like I lie awake at night thinking about Everest and their lovely windows!

How many ads is he on??? Is there anything he wouldn't put his name to?

I really hate the new Flora ad with Vernon Kay and his mother.
    "I'm 36 I've got two kids have you gone mad"
    URRRGGGHHHH!!!!

"That Peter is some guy. A family guy!" or "Wow! Peter really is fat! I wouldn't like to be that fat!"

Well they fit with every episode of Family Guy regardless of the content so they just swap the recorded audio around after each show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Slightly off topic, but I also hate the painfully obvious pronouncements of the continuity announcers over the credits of programmes on 3e: "That Peter is some guy. A family guy!" or "Wow! Peter really is fat! I wouldn't like to be that fat!"

Why do continuity announcers feel the need to comment on the programme which just finished anyway? Its over, your commentary adds nothing!

Why do continuity announcers feel the need to comment on the programme which just finished anyway? Its over, your commentary adds nothing!

I think they do it to pretend that the programmes are so good even the continuity announcers, with their superior taste, watch them.
    I hope some day 3e mess up and replace something like Bob's Burgers with one of their/TV3's seedy real-life murder documentaries at the last minute, but the continuity announcer doesn't realise and reads out the Bob's Burgers comment: "Some wacky goings on there! I had such a laugh, but now I could murder a burger! The Cleveland Show's up next!"

Lol

"Wow, That Family Guy is completely ****, more **** up next on 3e with American Dad, who knew so much **** could be written."

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

I hate with a passion those patronising Allianz 'my advice is...' ads.
    My advice is... go elsewhere for motor insurance...

The one where the son thanks his father for putting sunscreen on him as a child, and for giving him condoms on his debs night.

Lord god almighty i absolutely hate that fu*king ad and the Vernon Kay ad is brutal too. "Ive got two kids have you gone mad" says the guy who was texting the knickers off other women despite being married to Tess Daly

The Boots one with the embarrassing dad at the pool on holiday with the mortified daughter explaining to him about being properly protected from the sun contains a number of things that bother me.

It's yet another painfully unfunny Boots ad where a hapless manchild barely manages to stumble through life, thanks only to the ever-patient women in his life.

The girl has that incredibly unnatural way of talking about a product you find in ads (describing its properties and such) that you never hear in real life. If I liked Coke, I wouldn't tell people "It's got that smooth, sweet flavour that I love, and the bubbles make my mouth come to life! And now it's available in a handy 330ml bottle! Perfect for when I'm on the go!" No, I'd say "I like Coke. It's nice."

The girl is also just incredibly annoying. Maybe she's just a bad actress or got bad directions, but there's just something incredibly infuriating about her tone of voice and facial expressions.

Finally, and I'll address this directly to the fictional girl: Your father worked all year to pay for this holiday, and he specifically paid for a holiday by the sea, at a resort with a pool, so he's perfectly entitled to go for a swim if he wants to, you ungrateful little cow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

the head and shoulders ad with jenson button. wow its bracing, little perks, stuff that works.**** me.what a load of bollox.
    and that womens moistureiser ad, 'my belly button gets it'.

Sky ads with the girl with the incredibly annoying voice. "Meet jill, jill is this and that, when she discovered she could do this and that with sky...."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭squonk

Elmo wrote: »
    Sky ads with the girl with the incredibly annoying voice. "Meet jill, jill is this and that, when she discovered she could do this and that with sky...."

yeah, who is doing that voice over? Her voice is both cute and annoying at the same time... Arghh!

'Juan Sheet does plenty' :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

'Juan Sheet does plenty' :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Proper p1ss take of an ad that one, nothing wrong with it at all, it's meant to be crap!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Lord god almighty i absolutely hate that fu*king ad and the Vernon Kay ad is brutal too. "Ive got two kids have you gone mad" says the guy who was texting the knickers off other women despite being married to Tess Daly

They stand out for me as well. Especially cringeworthy in the presence of my own dysfunctional dad, we both silently repulse watching that sacharine awfulness.

As for the Vernon Kay one, there's something that creeps me out about it, I'm not sure what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

coonecb1 wrote: »
    They stand out for me as well. Especially cringeworthy in the presence of my own dysfunctional dad, we both silently repulse watching that sacharine awfulness.

As for the Vernon Kay one, there's something that creeps me out about it, I'm not sure what it is[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's his mother calling him 'beauts' at the start. I hate her VoiceOver at the end too:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

If my child glowered at me like that for having a drink of mi wadi after I spent all afternoon feeding and entertaining her snot nosed pals she would be the recipient of a swift kick to the backside.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

That insurance ad where the silly call centre fella interacts really bad with an animation. Waaaaaay too much purple as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Talking of insurance, the nononsence.ie ads drive me bananas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement