Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Broadband

Options
  • 03-06-2007 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

I'm moving house in September, it's out in the stix a bit and I don't think they provide broadband out there.

We're going to get Satellite broadband, I play a lot of online games. Will this effect this much? Is Satellite broadband really terrible?

Also, is there ANY alternatives at all?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

3G mobile BB is a cheaper and better bet in many of our sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    3G mobile BB is a cheaper and better bet in many of our sticks.

it aint any good for gaming tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭collie1

where abouts are you moving to?i moved to the sticks in kildare a year ago and it took me the guts of half a year to get broadband to play xbox live. your best bet is wireless, just find a list of suppliers in your area and hope you have a line of sight.stay away from satellite if your playing online games

Some sticks have excellent wireless BB providers and some smallish towns have 9mbit entry level cable for under €40 a month

Some sticks have nothing only dialup over ultra split lines and satellite .

If I knew what stick he was heading for I might be able to help , of course I don't

For one way sat avoid crosscountry fastnet and zone broadband and silvermead . crap one way sat services still come and go at a ferocious rate so a 90cm dish that can see all the sky from 40e to 30w and 18 degrees over the horizon and higher will cover the inevitabilities there. Trees do not help.

If you live in a hole surrounded by trees then wireless and sats will not work. Thats that for ya .

Any company that tells me that I cannot self provision a one way sat service with 90cm dish and sensitive LNB and decent cable everywhere .... are cowboys .

Connection fee should not exceed €50 in that case as the hardware is standard and its just a matter of pointing at the right sat and entering settings .

read my SIG to find out how to point at the right sat.

read this link on the subject of using proper cable ( not cheap crap) and how to string it together properly ( with piccies :p ) applies to all sat systems be it tv or data

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/cableandleads.html

finally keep an eye on current reviews here

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/broadband/sat.shtml

and in this forum too

http://www.irishisptest.com/

but remember that todays good sat service is almost always tomorrows overloaded one. Way it is :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I'm moving to Listerlinn area in Kilkenny rural which is near to the Waterford Road from New Ross.

Any help?

• Advertisement

If you are lucky there is a Permanet service around there ( their circles are too wide so shave off at least 1/3 for the real coverage)

http://www.permanet.ie/map1.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

And what is Permanent?

Will this give me a decent ping to play online games?

a good quality wireless service, follow my irishisptest link above willya .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

can satellite broadband be received on a free to air TV satellite sytem or is that totally different:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

There is also the Clonmel based isp called www.premierbroadband.net whom serve parts of Kilkenny, they might be in your area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Satellite broadband needs a DVB card in your computer but its the same satellite and connection as free to air AFAIK.

We used our Sky dish when using SkyDSL satellite broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

philstar wrote:
    can satellite broadband be received on a free to air TV satellite sytem or is that totally different:confused:

One way satellite Download accelerator uses a PCI satellite card or USB receiver, a regular TV receiver box won't work. Existing dish and LNB will work, but not for TV at same time usually. Not remotely broadband. You need your phone line. The dish may be pointed at a different place than for BBC/ITV/RTE/Sky depending on service provider.

Two way satellite uses a more expensive dish and special LNB, combiners, horn, upconvertor and amplifier system with two coax to a modem for satellite. It gives broadband speed and does not need phone line. It would be very unusual to use same dish for TV.

Advertisement