Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Income per month

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ukkram

I have been doing research on the net and so far have found that housing is even cheaper in Germany than South Africa. Maybe this is becouse only 14% of Germans buy their own homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

to support a family and live a middle class lifestyle in Dublin, I think you are all way off!

Mortage - 1MIL. = 6000 PM
    Car - BMW = 1000PM
    Private School - 2 Kids = 1000PM
    Food = 1200 PM
    MISC. (health ins. social, holidays, etc......) 2000PM

TOTAL: 11,200 Per Month.

Perhaps you are mistaking a middle class lifestyle for a working class lifestyle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

yeah I'd have to agree with that - as a 27 year old person with no dependents I earn 37k and while it allows one person a nice lifestyle, there's no way I could support another adult and a child on that.

Some of the estimates here are bonkers - the bf and I spend an average of €130 per week in the supermarket, not €300 a month. This week's shop was €160, food is damn expensive here unless you live on unhealthy convenience crap.

Every month when I get paid I work out what I need to spend money on and I seem to be doing very well until it gets to things like doctors visits, dentist bills, car tax....make sure and budget for those things as they can really throw you off track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

rainglow wrote:
    This week's shop was €160, food is damn expensive here unless you live on unhealthy convenience crap.

What are you buying? This weeks shop cost me nothing, because last week i did about 50 euros worth of shopping and that'll keep me till next week.

Girlfriend did a big shop last week and it cost her 170 euro, that will last a whole month accept for the likes of bread and milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

LundiMardi wrote:
    What are you buying? This weeks shop cost me nothing, because last week i did about 50 euros worth of shopping and that'll keep me till next week.

Girlfriend did a big shop last week and it cost her 170 euro, that will last a whole month accept for the likes of bread and milk.

Actually there was about €20 of booze in there this week, I had forgotten that. But otherwise I'm buying the same things everybody buys? Food for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, dairy products, cleaning products, toiletries, toilet roll etc. I cook everything from scratch, and when a pound of mince is €6 and one single pepper is costing you €1.09 things easily add up. And god forbid you want to treat yourself to strawberries - €4 a punnet and that was a special offer :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ukkram

Well, I have now got a livable wage from E3 000.00 to E11 000.00.
    I will not have a bond, car payment, private school etc. I presume rainglow earns E37K per year or E3K+ PM. So I think I can safely go for about E4K PM.
    A search on the net for businesses for sale showed some good ones for around E80K with a net of +- E5K PM. and leave me with about E30K for car etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭skkatter

ukkram wrote:
    I have been doing research on the net and so far have found that housing is even cheaper in Germany than South Africa. Maybe this is becouse only 14% of Germans buy their own homes.
    Bear in mind that currently unemployment in Germany is very high, more so in the eastern half, but it's still a problem in the west. You'll also more than likely be earning less than you would in Ireland. My sister lived in Berlin for a while, she left because she couldn't make enough money there, she had enough to get by in Berlin as the cost of living is lower, but not enough to say, go on holidays, consider buying a car, saving etc. The unemployment rate in Berlin and the surrounding area right now is about 20%.

Personally I say avoid Dublin, I've been traveling a lot recently and have come to the conclusion (well, I knew it in the back of my mind for a long time) that this place is a dump. Dublin is one of the most expensive, gridlocked and filthiest cities in the western world. If do you manage to find a place to live (where you'll be paying high rent for a tiny shoddily built apartment) you'll may spend an average of 1 to 2 hours a day commuting to and from work, that is if you're lucky enough to find a place to live near public transport. Oh and our weather is terrible and in my opinion we're the ugliest race in the world, not to mention a terrible health care system and a moderately (compared to most of the western part of Europe above Italy) corrupt government who have just been re-elected.

The one and only thing we've got going for us is low unemployment, oh and our cynical sense of humour (we'd have to have that living here!) and I suppose compared to South Africa the city is a lot less violent. Places where I suggested you consider would be Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Sweden or Finland. Germany's great too, if you can find a business to buy that'll give you a good return.

Advertisement