Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a shotgun

Options
  • 03-06-2007 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a shotgun for use for sporting or down the line shooting. I posted a short while ago asking for information as I am a complete novice and would like to take up shooting as a hobby. After a day shooting in courtlough, I feel I would really like to do it more often.

I was shown a few shotguns in Coutlough (Beretta, Lanber) but as I am new to this I was not sure what to look for in choosing a gun. Is it just weight and balance I should assess or is there more I should be looking for? I would ideally like to get something of decent quality that will last as well as hold some sort of value when the time comes to trade in. I was told the cheapest new gun they have is €1100. However, I came across a site (www.shoot.ie) that have new shotguns (Baikal) for €599. Anyone have any information on these?

I am going back to courtlough next week for more sporting shooting as well as trying the rifle range. Advice on purchasing a rifle would be helpful too. Thanks.

K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Dont know what they like now, i had a baikal for my first gun around 15 yr ago and they fairly bomb proof but fairly basic, not the most refined of guns, i have gone through a fair few guns in my day and have settled with Beretta, i have had Browning, Lanber,Miroku and just have a personal preferance for Beretta, and they hald their money about as well as any gun will. I cant see a Baikal holding its value that well and to be honest you will probably end up changing it for a higher quality weapon,but thats just my opinion, you buy cheap you buy twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Mufflets

I was in the same boat as you last year kk looking for something decent quality and not cost the earth as a first shotgun. i decided to look for a secondhand Beretta after listening to advice and trying a few out. I then realised that secondhand berettas (and brownings) are very hard to locate and even considered having one imported from england. Anyway i ended up getting a peach of a beretta 682 from Talaght rod and gun for €1000 in great condition apparently the local gun club all shoot berettas and they often have good trade ins there. From my limited experience Berettas are the biz and hold their value well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Mufflets wrote:
    Anyway i ended up getting a peach of a beretta 682 from Talaght rod and gun for €1000 in great condition.

I take it that was a second hand gun you bought? I priced new Berettas in Courtlough and the were about €1550. If I could get one and save 500 quid that would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

The most important thing with any shotgun is gun fit different makes suit different people and you want to get some good advice while buying to make sure it fits you if you dont you'll struggle to achieve good scores.

Try out as many shotguns from different makers that you can what your looking for is something that just fits it will feel right balance well in your hands not be to heavy and come up to your eye everytime you want.

A gun will generally hold they're value very well and you should be putting as much into it as you can to get the maximum benifits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

I'd add to all the good advice previously posted by saying that if you are going to spend most of your time shooting clays then get the appropriate gun. A sporter model will be more robust that a game gun and be much more fun to use.
    A lightweight game gun will rattle your fillings loose and knock itself apart if used as a clay gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

ok I just want to point out that there is a difference between a trap gun and a sporting shotgun. Down the line generally is considered a trap discipline and trap guns are used.

Sporting clays are sometimes suited to sporting shotguns or sporters.

This is not always 100% accurate but make sure you try whatever gun you are going to buy at whatever discipline you are going to take up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Mufflets

kkelly77 wrote:
    I take it that was a second hand gun you bought? I priced new Berettas in Courtlough and the were about €1550. If I could get one and save 500 quid that would be great :)

Yes it was second hand. I think Beretta 682s are about €2800 new so €1550 is probably not bad either (model not with-standing). But since such quality guns will last generations if looked after i figured second hand Beretta was the way to go. ps Mine is a sporter, their medium weight around 7.5 LBs and suitable for clays and hunting.

Advertisement