Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Recomendations people!

• 03-06-2007 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

Alrighty, well, I'm looking around (here, pretty much) for some new bands. I'm tired with what I have. I suppose I'll list some bands I like to start;
    Iggy Pop
    Slayer
    Mastadon
    Pantera
    The Black Keys
    Clapton
    The Rolling Stones
    Klaxons
    The Kinks
    Nine Inch Nails
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Rage Against the Macine
    System of a Down
    The Pogues
    The Hives
    The White Stripes
    Wolfmother
    Ok Go
    The Flaming Lips
    Damien Rice
    Bob Dylan

The list got a little long... well, that's what I'm listening to at the moment. I'm not going to specify any further really. With a little luck I picked the best forum for this. Throw them out there guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Dude, with such a wid veriety of music that u like it should be quite easy to find stuf on ur own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

You'd think, wouldn't you? Ah, I haven't found anything in months aside from the Klaxons and I've almost killed the album for myself. I intentionally gave a large range in the hope of more recommendations. I suppose to be more specific, I would love to hear of some stuff similar to The Black Keys. I haven' found anything that comes close to their sound, but I'm not being picky here. :o
    Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I'll throw out a recommendation for Meat Puppets, cos I love 'em.

Listening to the Black Keys myspace, they sound a bit like Pearl Jam or perhaps slower Alice in Chains stuff.

Other random ones:
    Blind melon
    Husker Du
    Minutemen
    Dinosaur Jr.
    Sonic Youth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

good way to get into different bands (other then the usual avenues) is to see who the bands you already like have brought on tour with them.. you can get pretty diverse stuff that way too.. (eg. nine inch nails on tour with saul williams, etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

The Dwarves

Thanks guys, some stuff I'll check out. A friend told me to try last fm to find some new stuff. He explained it a bit to me earlier. Do any of you have any experience with it? Would you say it's worth it? Is it half way decent in even a general sense?

Oh ya, not a big Pearl Jam fan (except for the odd track they sound a bit generic) but I'll check out the others you mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I'll throw out a recommendation for Meat Puppets, cos I love 'em.

Listening to the Black Keys myspace, they sound a bit like Pearl Jam or perhaps slower Alice in Chains stuff.

Other random ones:
    Blind melon
    Husker Du
    Minutemen
    Dinosaur Jr.
    Sonic Youth

I woldnt be into that kinda music at all, but blind melon are really good. OPcheck them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Have you listened to Jethro Tull?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Sandor wrote:
    Slayer
    Damien Rice
    Does not compute :p

That is quite a diverse list, so hopefully you'll like a couple of these if you don't already:

Lamb Of God
    Testament(fan made video, but official ones are hard to come by!)
    Crowbar
    Down
    Entombed
    Black Label Society

And a couple of non-metal:

Rival Schools
    The Cooper Temple Clause
    Muse (Well, not like you wouldn't have heard of them!)

• Advertisement

Two nominations for Blind Lemon puts them in the bag!
    Karl, no I hadn't heard of them. Just had a look at their wiki page. Quite a discography... any advice on where I might start? Should I just go for a compilation? Oh, had a look at Aqualung live on youtube. I'd always wondered what that was from when I heard people yell it. Even in Anchorman... *remembers Karls sig* In that scene I believe.
    Necro, I already have Muse, Lamb of God and Down. I was dissapointed with Down, on the hole. I'll have a look at the others you listed.

Sandor wrote:
    Karl, no I hadn't heard of them. Just had a look at their wiki page. Quite a discography... any advice on where I might start? Should I just go for a compilation? Oh, had a look at Aqualung live on youtube. I'd always wondered what that was from when I heard people yell it. Even in Anchorman... *remembers Karls sig* In that scene I believe.

I generally don't bother with compilations, as I find them redundant once you get a decent few albums of a particular band. Aqualung is definetly a good start.

One thing I really want to get is Ian Anderson plays the Orchestra Jethro Tull DVD. Really is something special:

Anyway, for some other things to check out, and seeing as you've got a varied enough taste, I'd recommend:

Opeth
    Camel
    Devin Townsend
    Green Carnation
    Rush
    Meshuggah
    Dream Theater
    Porcupine Tree
    Nevermore
    Gojira

You mightn't like everything there, and you've probably heard a few before, but should give you a fair few things to check out.

Well, I think theres enough here to keep me going for a while! And now I need some sleep, so thanks all! :)

If you've never heard Camel before, check this out:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

here's my 2 cents

check out reverend horton heat's holy roller compilation

get the new converge album no heroes

buy fabriclive 3: dj hype: deadly drum n bass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

MewithoutYou

Botch

Wouldn't hurt to listen to some At The Drive-In, either.

Also, Trophy Scars:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I know I`m always banging on about them but Sikth are very interesting:

Porcupine Tree,I think they`ve already been mentioned but they are well worth a listen and have a ready made back catalogue.Heres the title track off their new album:

A couple of non rock/metal artists that I` recommend:

Gogol Bordello

Tegan and Sarah

Great stuff guys :D
    I have At the drive in and Gogel Bordello already. I've picked up most of what's been recommended. There's some great stuff in there! Not all, naturally, but plenty to keep me going for a good while.

Advertisement