Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cod2 + vista ?

• 03-06-2007 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

how do i get call of duty 2 to run on vista?....there are compatibility issues, but ive heard you can run programs in xp mode or something, can someone explain plz?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

in xp it's start --> all programs --> accessories --> program compatibility wizard, so it might be the same in vista.....................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

right click the exe file, go to the compatability tab and select "run in xp service pack 2 mode" or whatever it is. you may also want to check the "run as administrator" box too.

i had the same issue with battlefield2 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

i had the same issue with battlefield2 :)

cool thanks, ive installed bf2 aswell and the 1.4 patch, put on multiplayer, punkbuster keeps kicking me off because i dont have enough o/s privalafes?...wtf?... im the administrator, enabling uac or disableing doesnt make a differance, any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

How about switching back to XP?! :p

ive put off puttin vista on for a while, computer arsed up, had to reboot, just put vista on cause it installs faster.... me==lazy:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

What forceware drivers are you using?

Auvers wrote:
    What forceware drivers are you using?

usin the 158.24 driver, its on the nvidia site, works fine. (had a problem with vdu driver bout a month ago with the previous drivers, was gettin the blue scrn of DEATH!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Have a look here Guru3D there is some beta drivers that might be worth a shot.

i tried them before, they really werent doin me any favors

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its sad that people buying Windows Vista are not made aware of the many potential problems they'll experience with Windows Vista when it comes to printers, drivers, usb adsl modems and in this case games.

Compatability wizard can only go so far sadly, dual boot with XP seems to be the only way forward untill SP1 for Vista comes out and 3rd partys provide new patches/drivers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Twincam

Well i may be slightly late, but ive just put and order down for a Desktop with Windows Vista pre-installed (XP was an option but for £50 more i said no)

The machine is currently on its way (somewhere around the world) and i was wondering whether COD2 would run straight from the box?

I heard if you hold control or shift, right click it and go down to properties you can make it boot up the game as if you were using Windows XP. I dont know if it has worked but i will try when i get the computer.

A few other problems people are having is that it doesnt allow you to install patch 1.3 (it stays at v1.2), it comes up with a black/green screen or the game itself does not run at all.

Someone did say something about using USB head fones helps.. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I see that this is an old thread dug up from June and that most of the topics covered in it have been long since fixed.

COD2 works fine on Vista since the major compatibility patch which was a couple of months ago , so as long as your updates are OK it will run.

Well i have the patch 1.3 and the genuine cod2 cd, so should it install straight away?

Sorry for bringing things up, found the forum and thread on google..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I have been running COD2 on Vista since last Jan with no problems.

Running under a restricted user.

Well ive bought the computer and i will be the first user, can i make myself the adminstrator?

Any other things i would need to do to get it to work? Right click and run in XP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

Its crazy that MS launched this so quick out there not letting companies release there hotfixes and patches for the software they delevope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have been running COD2 on Vista since last Jan with no problems.

Running under a restricted user.

Worked fine for me too. COD4 is a far better game though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tech wrote: »
    Its crazy that MS launched this so quick out there not letting companies release there hotfixes and patches for the software they delevope
    absolutely crazy
    Windows Vista Beta 1 (build 5112, build date of July 20, 2005) was released on July 27, 2005, and was available to Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) and TechNet subscribers as well as a select group of Microsoft Beta testers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

tech wrote: »

Companies are very lazy to update anything, most problems are caused by incorrect implementations in the first place, using deprecated functions, accessing memory in a quirky way. From a driver perspective, Vista was out for development in early 2005, giving the companies a 2 year heads up to get sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Got to agree with you as i have found so many problems caused by bad drivers released by software and hardware manufacturers in XP.

Vista forces them to up their game and many are not up to it. I think that some hoped that Microsoft would relax the demands when the final version of Vista came out.

I know of one company that supplies us, that says that their product will not support Vista and they have not started work on it yet.

One of their functions is to export to excel and they have not even got a copy of Office 2007 to test against.

One of the reasons Windows became so popular was that it was easy to program for. The bad news is that it made it buggy, insecure etc.

There is no harm in redusing the amount of lazy programing out there.

Then again, as i said before COD2, COD1 and COD4 all work well on my Vista system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement