Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ISP gprs on meteor

• 03-06-2007 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

I called Meteor today about ten times about activating the ISP.mymeteor.ie APN for using cheaper gprs. But they wouldn't do it.. Has anyone else had problems the last week - are they more restrictive in putting on the ISP feature? I see no reason why they should do it..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

seems very odd. what did they say? its probably more a case of the person not knowing what to do.

why did you tell them you wanted to do it? tell them you want to use the gmail application and it shouldn't be a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

seems very odd. what did they say? its probably more a case of the person not knowing what to do.

why did you tell them you wanted to do it? tell them you want to use the gmail application and it shouldn't be a problem

Told them gmail, bluetooth modem, opera mini, lots of things...

flodis79 wrote:
    Told them gmail, bluetooth modem, opera mini, lots of things...
    and what did the person say

and what did the person say
    They just said that it would work over the wap gprs, and he quoted the 2c per kb service. They didn't know of, or denied knowledge of, any other GPRS service. It's sad that after ten calls, they still cannot get it right..

right so the person's just thick. ring again tomorrow (they're closed now) and if the guy doesn't know what it is, tell him to go and ask the technical department

if the person insists there is nothing except WAP GPRS, point him to this page:
    http://www.meteor.ie/payg_calls.html

and tell him to look for ISP GPRS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

When I was with Meteor, I noticed that their customer service clearly was not up to scratch.

Keep calling. Make sure you refer to it as ISP or internet, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Don't hang up until the rep adds it to your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Did you specifically ask about the data add-on?

Did you specifically ask about the data add-on?

I am not talking about data add-ons. I am talking about the ISP gprs option, charging .46c per kb, as opposed to the 2c wap gprs.

@flodis79
    When you do finally find an agent who knows what you're looking for ask for instructions on what exactly it is they call it on their side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its seems they don't want you to use it, ask them if that is the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I doubt that is the case, I just don't think they are trained.

I never understood why networks don't just add this as standard to all accounts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭asmith

I'm having the same problem as the OP. In my case I ignorantly assumed that when browsing the web on my phone I was using ISP GPRS which is charged at 0.0048c/kb. Unfortunately I was using WAP GPRS which is charged at 2c/kb. That wasn't long running down the credit.

I spoke to a girl in customer care this evening and after speaking to someone in their IT department she said they only give ISP GPRS to bill pay customers on certain price plans.

I don't think that cuts it really because the url that explains these charges http://www.meteor.ie/payg_calls.html is a prepay page. Either someone's not doing their job and just gave that excuse to they didn't have to bother provisioning me or their policies have changed and the wesite wasn't updated. I'll give them another call and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The Data Add Ons are just for Bill Pay. ISP is for everyone. If you have further problems, PM me.

Can staff add this in stores chrislad on their systems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭asmith

I called customer care again this evening and after a bit of onhold/offhold the girl I spoke to said they do support ISP GPRS but only if you connect your phone to a PC or laptop. I tried to explain that this needn't be the case but she wasn't having any of it. In the end I said I would connect my mobile to a PC (I had my fingers crossed so it doesn't count). She seemed happy enough with that and said the settings would be emailed to me. I already had the ISP GPRS settings on my phone so I tried it there now and it works fine. It's still a ripoff but at least it's not as dear as WAP GPRS. As an aside, what network/priceplan would you guys recommend for web browsing? .0048c/kb is very expensive even if you only do a small amount of browsing.

First of all its not 0.0048c a kb its 0.0048 euro (ie 100 times more than you thought).

The only better offer on prepay is 3's at e6 for 100mb but its all run through a proxy that blocks everything except http access and the only application that works is the built in browser

its yet another example of 3 making a good service effectively useless because of pointless restrictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

asmith wrote:
    I called customer care again this evening and after a bit of onhold/offhold the girl I spoke to said they do support ISP GPRS but only if you connect your phone to a PC or laptop. I tried to explain that this needn't be the case but she wasn't having any of it. In the end I said I would connect my mobile to a PC (I had my fingers crossed so it doesn't count). She seemed happy enough with that and said the settings would be emailed to me. I already had the ISP GPRS settings on my phone so I tried it there now and it works fine. It's still a ripoff but at least it's not as dear as WAP GPRS. As an aside, what network/priceplan would you guys recommend for web browsing? .0048c/kb is very expensive even if you only do a small amount of browsing.

Thats a bit strange after having read this thread (because I didn't know you had to get it activated!) I rang up Meteor yesterday and said "Hello I would like to activate the ISP GPRS on my phone" to which the customer care assistant "yes of course, could you confirm the phone model you have". I did and she said the it would be activated once I turned my phone off and on again in about 20 mins. It took all of 30secs with the customer care team to get it done and 20 mins later my gmail app worked!!

@storka
    Some agents will know what you mean and some aren't trained properly or just don't care. Shame about the differing standards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 unavaca

What phone did you tell them you were using? I want to tell them what they want to hear. :D

Just tell them you're using your Nokia 6230i to connect to the internet via bluetooth. That'll do them if they argue.

Alternatively telling them you're trying to get Opera MIni to work on your phone works sometimes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 unavaca

Thanks. I'll be sure to try that. I plan on going to a (real) Meteor store to buy a SIM and have them add the ISP GPRS thing on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

asmith wrote:
    I called customer care again this evening and after a bit of onhold/offhold the girl I spoke to said they do support ISP GPRS but only if you connect your phone to a PC or laptop. I tried to explain that this needn't be the case but she wasn't having any of it. In the end I said I would connect my mobile to a PC (I had my fingers crossed so it doesn't count).

Yeah I had a good agent when I tried it yesterday, they gave me the same story about using a laptop but I told them my phone is a smartphone and is therefore like a little computer. Then he SMS'ed me the settings which are working great! By the way thanks for this topic, because I believe the 0.0048 euro per kB is the best (open ISP) GPRS rate on prepay in Ireland! I hadn't spotted that on the meteor site yet.

I would love to get the 100MB for 6 euro offer with 3pay but if it's proxied like that it's useless to me, I mostly need my email on the go, I don't really care about webbrowsing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I'm trying to get either Opera Mini or Gmail App working on my 6300.
    Opera Mini says "Subscribe to packet data first". Is this ISP GPRS? Or something different again?

I'm just off the phone with Meteor 1905 trying to get ISP GPRS activated. She had never heard of ISP GPRS and thought I meant WAP GPRS for ages until I told her it was different. She went away for a few minutes and when she came back she said I just needed to go to the Nokia website to have the settings sent out. I already have the settings though, I just need them to activate it?

Might ring again later and hopefully get someone else.

plazzTT wrote:
    She went away for a few minutes and when she came back she said I just needed to go to the Nokia website to have the settings sent out. I already have the settings though, I just need them to activate it?

Hehe thats a new one, putting the blame on Nokia... :) Well, it won't work anyway unless they activate it for you.

plazzTT wrote:
    I'm just off the phone with Meteor 1905 trying to get ISP GPRS activated. She had never heard of ISP GPRS and thought I meant WAP GPRS for ages until I told her it was different. She went away for a few minutes and when she came back she said I just needed to go to the Nokia website to have the settings sent out. I already have the settings though, I just need them to activate it?

Might ring again later and hopefully get someone else.

Yeah they need to activate it first. I set up the ISP myself first (with exactly the same settings as they later sent out to me by SMS) but it didn't work until they activated it for me. It was denying the GPRS connection, probably the same error as you're getting.

Just ring again, as I wrote in my last post yesterday I got someone who turned it on for me without too many problems. Otherwise just tell them that you want to use it with a laptop, that might be the keyword they're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Thanks Gekke, I think you could be right about mentioning a laptop or internet. I'll try that later.

I had to answer a load of questions at the start of my last call: My number (even though she said my number wasn't blocked and it came up), my name, address, date of birth, where I bought the phone... At this stage I asked her if this was all just to verify who I was, and she said yeah it was.

But still asked more questions: when's the last time I topped up, and how much it was. I said sometime last week, and she insisted on a date. I couldn't remember so I just said all the dates last week until it matched the records she had.
    I was asked for three numbers I called recently too. Had to check them from my phone book.

I'm hoping I don't have to give all that info everytime?

@plazzTT:

No, I don't think so. I only had to give number, pin code, full name, address and date of birth. Not where I bought the phone or when I topped up or even the last numbers (well, when I rang them it was the first call I made on the account anyway :D )

By the way as far as I recall I chose the following options in the menu:

- WAP/MMS Support
    - Talk to a representative
    - No I don't have problems with picture messages
    - Talk to a representative

And the person I got knew exactly what I was talking about.

Just retrying at a different time will usually fix it. Most callcenters have shifts of max. 8 hours due to legal requirements so if their opening hours are > 8 hours (I didn't check), just ring back 9 hours later and it's very likely that you'll get someone else. Also, the better educated agents are less likely to work outside of business hours because they are more privileged, so calling during business hours might help too. (I work for a callcenter myself so I kind of know how these things go)

Good luck anyway!

• Advertisement

plazzTT wrote:
    I couldn't remember so I just said all the dates last week until it matched the records she had.
    :D

they usually ask name, address, dob and pin. did you not answer the first questions properly, ie is that why she asked more

Advertisement