Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU fans...

Options
  • 03-06-2007 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭

A few months ago my PC was getting very noisy. I opened it and found that the problem was the CPU fan.

I have an Athlon XP 2400+. I replaced the fan (just the fan, not the heatsink under it) with one from an old Pentium III 700Mhz PC.

Is this alright? I know the AMD needs more cooling being a newer processor, but I would have thought that a fan was a fan, and its the heatsink that matters. :o I suppose the fan is getting the same voltage from the motherboard as the old one was, so should have the same effect?

My PC is freezing a lot now, and I think it's because my CPU is overheating. I've installed Motherboard Monitor to check the temperature. It's about 38 degrees when I turn it on, and it goes up to 57 or 58 degrees (at least, I've only had it running for today). Is this a normal temperature? I didn't think there'd be that much variation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Did you remove the heatsink from the CPU while replacing the fan , and if so did you re-apply the heatsink paste?

You must re-apply the paste every time that the heatsink is removed , replaced.

Otherwise the fan may not be moving enough air across the heatsink , fans are matched to the heatsink , there must be enough airflow , different fans move different amounts of air and run at different speeds.

58 is not exactly disastrous but is a bit on the high side !! You should be able to get it to maintain less than 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

I think I might need a new CPU fan same as plazzTT.
    I was getting constant of about 42'C.
    Surely it should be lower than that.

Advertisement