Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer science

Options
  • 04-06-2007 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi im doing my leaving in a few days (fun :rolleyes: ) anyway im still not 100% on what i want to do next year, i have always had an interest in computers and computer science seemed like the logical choice for me but everyone that I have talked to about it had something negative to say. So im trying to see what the general feeling towards it is, so to anyone doing or has done comp sci my questions are:
    is it a dificult degree? - id like to do something that is challenging and I havent heard great things (ie that cs is an easy degree etc)
    is it a rewarding degree ? - do you enjoy it ?
    are the jobs out there for cs grads as bad as everyone tells me, or as good as the uni's make out, or are they somewhere in between ?
    and for anyone doing it in ucc: how does ucc's degree stack up ?

ps thatks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Good luck with the LC.
    Similiar thread here, might be worth a read through.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53291054#post53291054
    You'll probably get some good replies on this thread as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

bump cause I would be interested in the answers too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭sticky9cd

also bumb as would like to know of job prospects for computer programmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 estilos

I's (was?) a 1st year CS student in trinity - It's a fantastic course here, and as there are jobs. I'm just doing some web work this summer, but the guys leaving don't seem to have much of a problem getting jobs. You could ask there about that.

Just two things - Check out the course in the prospectus of the college to which you're applying. Some offer different courses within the degree. (eg; it's possible to skip maths entirely in UCD, whereas it's compulsory in most other colleges.). Pick what suits you best as far as that goes. And second; You'll be in a class of mostly guys, so pick up an appreciation for computer games (though presumeably that won't be a problem). ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dementedfairy

Hey im a third year Computer science student, Yes it is a hard degree and quite challanging, the points goin for it are quite misleading. If u have an interest in computers then it probably is a good choice for you. And yes most of the class will be males, a selection of which cannot hold a conversation with a human, but u mite be lucky and have some girls! The graduates from this year and last year dont seem to be havin much of a problem finding work, there are jobs out there but it does depend on which are you wish to go into. The degree in UCC is quite programming orientated, just to let u know in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

estilos wrote:
    (eg; it's possible to skip maths entirely in UCD, whereas it's compulsory in most other colleges.).

Computer science without maths, surely that's like a cheese burger with no cheese. I can't honestly see how you can not do maths in a computer science course, hell even just doing number systems/logic/set theory is pretty damn essential.

I'm heading into 3rd year of computer science in DIT.

The course is managable, like everything if you attend lectures/labs/tutorials(if need be) you shouldn't have any problem passing exams. That being said though, if you just bearly scrape by and by the time it comes to interview time they'll know who's genuninely good and who's just rode the college system.

Cremo wrote:
    Computer science without maths, surely that's like a cheese burger with no cheese. I can't honestly see how you can not do maths in a computer science course, hell even just doing number systems/logic/set theory is pretty damn essential.

I'm heading into 3rd year of computer science in DIT.

The course is managable, like everything if you attend lectures/labs/tutorials(if need be) you shouldn't have any problem passing exams. That being said though, if you just bearly scrape by and by the time it comes to interview time they'll know who's genuninely good and who's just rode the college system.

What's DIT like? Which building is computer science? Kevin Street?

kevin street, yeh.

have to say i personally enjoy it, not bad hours but don't be expecting to have days off either.

first year was a joke for my year, basically had 3 projects for the whole year but they've changed the course now and make first year more tougher but still managable.

first years seem to spend most of their labs over in the school of computing labs in aungier street with nicer computers than kevin street, which makes no sense to me :s.

as i said above there is maths in DIT, so don't turn up like two idiots did when i was going into first year, during the induction speech they listed the subjects that we'd be doing in first year, once the speaker mentioned maths, two guys got up and walked out.

it's also a very practical course as well, with loads of lab work to keep you busy. the stuff you learn in class at first may not relate to what you're doing in labs but after about 3 weeks it clicks and you're like "holy ****, so that's what he/she was going on about".

almost forgot if you do do comp science in DIT you'll get the soundest lecturer you'll ever meet in first year. let's just say his name is Art S. no, wait, that's too revealing A. Sloan, yes that'll do. :D

the only downside to DIT is that it doesn't have a campus. The brouchures state that the capital is your campus, which is true but it's not the same as living out in UCD or other 3rd level college/uni.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

did my CS degree in UCD, I have to say compared to other courses it seems very theory based. I mean you do projects, praticals etc but not on the scale that other colleges do.

Edit: Also didnt have a problem finding a job. But i know of some people who were stuck in programming- and i use that word loosely on crap money etc. If you work hard and don't turn into an utter nerd you will enjoy it. And when you graduate dont feel pressured into taking a graduate job if you dont want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Im doing Computer Science & Software Engineering in Maynooth.
    If u have an interest in computers then it probably is a good choice for you. And yes most of the class will be males, a selection of which cannot hold a conversation with a human, but u mite be lucky and have some girls!
    That is very true I know lads who type with two fingers and they arent the best at the course. A few others have dropped out becasue they have no interest in computers what so ever. As for the women, well there was one girl in my course and she was alright looking but she dropped out, and I was left with some lads who make jokes about computer language(makes me cringe) and others like said above cannot hold a conversation with a human.

Tho there is one or two classes where there are a few good looking girls in the class. Bah but you can make up for by heading out everynight :D

• Advertisement

Is DIT the only course to do webdevelopment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Sorry, this has probably been asked a million times, but whats the computer science course content like for the ombnibus in UCD when compared to DN030?

I will easily get the points for both courses but I dont have a science so I cant make DNO50 but DN030 doesnt seem to require any science subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cremo wrote:

You can do Computer Science as a BA in UCD (DN050), which certainly limits the amount of maths you have to do compared with the BSc guys.

DaveMcG wrote:
    You can do Computer Science as a BA in UCD (DN050), which certainly limits the amount of maths you have to do compared with the BSc guys.
    i know there's a course without maths, but i seriously think that doing computer science without maths is not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mrac

Are there good research opportunities out there for cs grads ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Loads upon loads upon loads

Advertisement