Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

WD40, the tears of the Gods

Options
  • 04-06-2007 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭

its funny what gets you emotional, for me it's buying tomorrow cans of WD40 with 40ml free from Lidl for 2.99 when most places will charge you between 6 and 8 euro for them.
    God bless you Lidl, here's hoping Aldi get peeved off again and do the same.

(did you know that the two supermarkets are run by brothers in rivalry? again, more fascinating facts)

(for those of you who don't know WD40 is a miraculous cure all first sold as a medicine out of the back of a wagon in the Old Wild West. You can even wash your hair and children's pimples with it. fact)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

(did you know that the two supermarkets are run by brothers in rivalry? again, more fascinating facts)

Bullpoo! Look it up.

I do agree with your deification of WD though. Work on any machinery that comes in contact with water and two absolute necessities for the toolbox are WD40 and a tube of screwgrab.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

milltown wrote:
    Bullpoo! Look it up.

Yep , in German there is two Aldis, Aldi North and Aldi South , those are run by brothers and don't compete.... Aldi and Lidl have no family connection...

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Another vote for the canonisation of Norm Larsen. God bless Wikipedia - apparently Norm took 40 attempts to get the perfect formula and hence the name WD40 (WD stands for Water Displacement). The poor fecker sold all rights to the magical product for €10,000. This may have seemed like a lot of money in the 1950's but it is only a drop in the ocean compared to the hundred's of millions that WD40 is worth today.

I like the way that every tin comes with a little tube sello-taped to the side. Its the kind of "home brew" touch that appeals to the do it yourself guy in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Did you know ...

That WD40 is also an excellent tar stain remover?

'tis ...no kidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I use it for cleaning the oily gunk off the back wheel of my bike :D . I spent a fortune on miricle sprays but ended up with simple old WD40 in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Anyone recommend any silicone based spray lubricants?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

only for lubricating plastic on plastic

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

testicle wrote:
    Anyone recommend any silicone based spray lubricants?

there's a silicone spray from the same people, i bought it for lubricating the seat belt pully and it worked a treat. http://www.ferret.com.au/articles/44/0c016444.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

peasant wrote:
    only for lubricating plastic on plastic

:eek:

Find DT5 or TT double do the same job as WD40 and cost much less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

posted in wrong place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What a product!

On our farm, I've seen the vet use it on animals that have rashes and open sores. I'm told it works, sure why else would a qualifed vet use it.

Not sure how it works but damn impressive.
    Oh, and I'm not making this up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

it is also reputed that if sprayed on to number plates de speed camera cannot record em, dunno never tried it but peeps i know swear by it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

old boy wrote:
    it is also reputed that if sprayed on to number plates de speed camera cannot record em, dunno never tried it but peeps i know swear by it

they tested this out on the Discovery channel show that tests urban legend and showed it to be false. the peeps you know who swear by it have just been very lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I've been spraying it on my head every morning for the past 10 years becaus it keeps Aliens from abducting me. Haven't been abducted yet, so it must be working :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭maidhc

Mad Mike wrote:
    I like the way that every tin comes with a little tube sello-taped to the side. Its the kind of "home brew" touch that appeals to the do it yourself guy in me.

The sellotaped tube is a new enough addition. they used to use a rubber band which frankly was much handier as you could slot the tube back in easily when you are done.

I am not a great fan of WD-40. It has its uses, but a much more satisfactory solution to work on machines that have nuts and bolts that are not seized! I spray all the machines on the farm with waste oil every winter. It makes life so much easier for repairs, and prevents rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

KTRIC wrote:
    I've been spraying it on my head every morning for the past 10 years becaus it keeps Aliens from abducting me. Haven't been abducted yet, so it must be working :D .

Fool! Everybody knows that aliens have memory wipe devices so that you wouldn't remember anyway even if you have been abducted.

Advertisement