Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ADSL modem?

Options
  • 04-06-2007 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

what would be the best standalone DSL modem to get? My netopia router from eircom had lots of sync problems until I moved it to another socket, now today I bought an old speedtouch 510 and it almost can't connect. when it does connect it is for 5 seconds to get the IP address then its down again. anyone know a good one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Well i don't think there's a best modem persay, as it varies per user needs. Also you mentioned possibly socket problems too, and who knows what state your line is in?;)

You can try new hardware, though there's no certain way to see if its guaranteed to help you before actually buying it.
    Komplett do have a nice selection of adsl gear:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kc.aspx?bn=10273
    Choice is influenced by your requirements e.g... router to have lan connectivity, wireless access point for notebooks? Just the one computer... adsl modems will do nicely. Just make sure if you do choose a router or access point that it has an adsl modem integrated or likely you'll need an external adsl modem in bridging mode to serve the connection to the hardware.

Never had any problems with the Netgear or D-Link stuff.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

i should have mentioned. a standalone ethernet modem. I want to connect a wrt54g to it. purely looking for the modem that gets the best signal from the exchange

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

from

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm
    Routers are known to provide a more stable connection than usb modems and the purchase of an adsl router has done the trick for many.
    Be aware that some routers do perform better than others on Low SNR Lines, and although there is no guarantee, it is something very well worth trying.
    The Netgear DG834, Westell 6100 and D-Link DSL-G604T are some routers that have been known to maintain a more stable connection on a low SNR line.

~ The Netgear DG834 and DG834G have a very good reputation for being able to hold on to a connection at low SNR. I personally have seen one hang on to a line that frequently drops to 0dB (and below). Other users of the DG834G have reported similar. There's also a few instances where it worked when others wouldn't [link]
    ~ The D-Link DSL-G604T has also been reported* to successfully stabilise a low SNR line which was about to be declared as incapable of supporting ads.

However people often get more mileage out of simply disconnecting those bloody sky boxes from the line than tweaking the dsl connection . Start by unplugging everything and plugging them back in and checking your line stats as you do .

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

I have used a number of ZyXEL modems (P-660RCs, P-660RUs and P-661H-D1s) around the country and found them to be very reliable. They have recovered automatically from exchange outages where Linksys ADSL2MUEs and D-Link DSL-300Ts needed to be reset.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What are your line stats?

• Advertisement
Advertisement