Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone Date And Ads

• 04-06-2007 2:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭

Well the iPhone has been announced for launch on June 29th and the ads are up on apple.com. Wonder will we hear anything on a European carrier soon?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Those are class ads. I would really like to get one but i know that we will be waiting another 6-12 months on it over here and even then i would still need to sign up to a contract probably :( which i dont want to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

looks like they could go prepaid in the states on launch, would defo pick one one up if it was in the $300/400 range.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/06/contract-free-iphones-again/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

meh phone imo, not worth the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's a nice phone, a little bulky with a very nice interface. But it has a very poor spec compared to phones on the market today for that price, almost 2 years behind. Hopefully rev. 2 will sort this out as it does have potential!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

I heard 2 months ago O2 have exclusive rights to it in Ireland...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

I dont think it will be worth the money.Its going to be well over priced as its a hype

#Elites wrote:
    Thats what i heard (and guessed, as o2 sell all the ipod/macs anyway) but then i heard that it would be sold as a "sim free" IE contract free phone for the first while, direct from Apple..who knows.

if its under 500$ pre-paid in the US ill be picking one up.

Yeah but are the US ones sim free?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

think the US ones are tied to AT&T

Cremo wrote:
    Thats what i thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

AFAIK the US phones are not subsidised by the network though. Apple publicly said that it did not want the phones discounted and wanted people to precive them as a premium product. They offered exclusive rights in return for network changes and services etc. So I don't know if the US prices can be taken as an indication of European prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

the one thing that concerns me about the iphone is the keyboard or lack of one.

for people with large fingers, it will be a nightmare to get used to. A stylus is too much hassle for most people.

also, failing to 'feel' the buttons means it is impossible to use secretly.. eg in your pocket when in class or something.

even walking down the street, you can't be discreet about using it or shield the screen as you would do a normal phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if you could afford one being a 2nd level student when they are released over here i'll be very surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Cremo wrote:

It is indeed - was supposed to be Cingular actually but since the merger...

If you look at the phone on www.apple.com/iphone the carrier is still Cingular...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

One of the higher up guys in Apple down here in Cork says no carrier has been confirmed for Europe. It's a Q4 launch, but he has no date either, it could be October, or before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Are they looking at a single carrier for all of Europe or seperately for different countries??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

gillo wrote:
    Are they looking at a single carrier for all of Europe or seperately for different countries??

If they do the single carrier approach in Europe, it would have to be Vodafone. They're the only operator who have a network in almost every single country in Europe, whether you go to Ireland, the UK, Portugal, Spain, Greece, Germany, etc etc..

I doubt they'll be able to do the single carrier approach though. Latest I've heard is that T-Mobile is going to get an exclusive, but only in the countries where T-Mobile operates. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Some more leaked info - No MMS on the iphone, No IM on the iphone (maybe when they open it to third party apps). The camera is kinda outdated too in my opinion. Still hope it does well as competition is always good

Advertisement