Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC kinda starts

Options
  • 04-06-2007 7:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi, just finished my first new bulid yesterday. Everything seems grand to me but when i switch the machine on there is nothing coming up the monitor.

I have the feeling that it is going somewhere because when i go to turn it off i've to hold the power button for a few seconds. But i can't be sure about that either.

The hardware i've got is

MSI P6N SLI Plantnium Motherboard
    Black Diamond 500W Powersupply
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
    XFX GeForce 8800GTS 500M 320MB GDDR3
    OCZ Gold GX XTC DDR2 PC4200 2048MB KIT
    320GB Seagate Barracuda Sata
    250GB Seagate Barracuda Sata

Also I checked to see if was my graphics card, so i but in my friend Club3D Radeon X1650Pro 256MB into it with the same results. So if anyone can help me with this I woukd be most grateful.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Right firstly check that the CMOS is not jumpered & if your rig is still not booting try powering up the board outside of the case as it may be shorting off the chassis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Hi, just finished my first new bulid yesterday. Everything seems grand to me but when i switch the machine on there is nothing coming up the monitor.

I have the feeling that it is going somewhere because when i go to turn it off i've to hold the power button for a few seconds. But i can't be sure about that either.

The hardware i've got is

MSI P6N SLI Plantnium Motherboard
    Black Diamond 500W Powersupply
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
    XFX GeForce 8800GTS 500M 320MB GDDR3
    OCZ Gold GX XTC DDR2 PC4200 2048MB KIT
    320GB Seagate Barracuda Sata
    250GB Seagate Barracuda Sata

Also I checked to see if was my graphics card, so i but in my friend Club3D Radeon X1650Pro 256MB into it with the same results. So if anyone can help me with this I woukd be most grateful.
    Thanks.

The P6N has a CMOS Reset button & all you have to do is press it to clear the CMOS. It's located between the four SATA connectors & the battery.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I just thought of something else....

The P6N has two PCI Express slots for use with SLI (Two cards)

If you are only using one card? you must put the graphic card into the slot nearest the CPU heatsink & not the one in between the PCI slots.

The PCI Express slot between the PCI slots is labeled PCI E4 & should only be used for SLI mode.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When's the last PC you built? If its a few years back, something new: ensure you plug the extra power cable into the video card.

Also, 2nd the CMOS bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I know it may sound stupid but you are certain you haven't wired up the case power on connection to the wrong pins on the motherboard ?

If no do as the others said clear the CMOS, if that fails to work disconnect all HD's, DVD drives and remove an PCI card and try powering it on.

If that fails to work then pull the motherboard from the case and assemble the PC outside of it's case to see if it was a short inside the case causing the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement