Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

TheMonster wrote:
    Isn't Casillas spanish :rolleyes:

Of course he's gonna talk up his new signing, he's hardly gonna say the 2nd/3rd best is he :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Theres "talking up" and blatant bullsh!t ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He is 3rd best, but thats not bad considering the quality of Spanish goalkeepers.
    Canizares is still up there imo.

Quality signing though, I feel for Dudek though :/ Guy has the game of his life, and is then replaced!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

PHB wrote:
    Quality signing though, I feel for Dudek though :/ Guy has the game of his life, and is then replaced!

He may have had the game of his life in the champions league final but overall he cost liverpool far too many points/games from countless unforced errors and that is the reason Benitez is looking for a new No.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Tauren wrote:
    and liverpool were very lucky
    :rolleyes:

SFX should be banned from all football dealings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

dudek had the game of his life?

he made one good double save, but earlier in the game he coukld have made a simple save but the ball hit off his knees and went out for a corner.

the most desirable thing for a keeper is consistency... which dudek lacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

PHB wrote:
    He is 3rd best, but thats not bad considering the quality of Spanish goalkeepers.
    Canizares is still up there imo.

Dudek hasn't left yet, has he? I know Kirkland is on loan, probably for the year but Reina will still need to win his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

irish1 wrote:
    My point redspider is that they over-achieved to win the CL and without a very big improvment they won't finish in the top 3 next season ... they need to improve a hell of a lot to challenge them next season.

The point is that the English league table is not the be-all and end-all of a measurement of a teams capability or success. Yes, Liverpool finished behind Chelsea in the league. But they didnt in the CL. Yes, they finished behind Arsenal in the league, but they didnt in the CL. Yes, the finished behind Man U in the league, but they didnt in the CL. The CL is THE baramoter of where teams want to achieve.

I agree that Liverpool over-achieved to some extent in he CL, but we've thrashed out the luck issue on the other thread and Liverpool did deserve to beat Juve, Chelsea and Milan in the final. Its true that on paper all of these teams are better than Liverpool, and so are Chelea's in terms of capability. But when they met, Liverpool in the CL deserved to beat them.

The counter-point is that Arsenal and Man U need to imrpove a lot of they want to win the CL. Chelsea werent far away, but are coming from a different Universe financiallu than the other teams.

I agree that for Mourinho and with Chelsea's history, winning the CL was not the no.1 priority, the league after 50 years of "hurt" was.

I agree that Liverpool squad needs major improvement. Its just the simplified mantra of being X pts behind Chelse last year in the league, means Liverpool are way behind in terms of capability. It doesnt and that was proven in a tougher competition, the CL. You can choose to select the baramoter that you most feel, but all those in football in Europe are gunning for the big prize, the CL trophy. Liverpool, somehow, managed to achieve that with a lot of guts and players who turned in good performances, much better than they did on very many occasions in the english league.

I think we all agree that Liverpool needs to improve, no team doesnt. And this thread is really to discuss that. I realise the Liverpool CL win will always cause debate for many years to come, especially when these mantra's are rolled out.

Redspider

redspider wrote:
    The counter-point is that Arsenal and Man U need to imrpove a lot of they want to win the CL. Chelsea werent far away, but are coming from a different Universe financiallu than the other teams.

TBH - they don't need to improve a lot - the last 2 years have shown its not necessarily the top team that wins it - its the team that adapts best to the matches. United and Arsenal need to develop a way of playing in Europe that is effective. The PL proved they are a better team than Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The quality of the team doesn't need to rise much really imo, they've already shown they can do it against good teams, the problem comes with the players having the wrong attitude against lesser teams. We're already much better then then in terms of player ability yet we still lose or draw games we should be walking. The same players with a different attitude could easily have gotten an extra 20points without having to have been any better against the big teams, just beat the small ones and bob's yer uncle. Though gettin in a few stars couldn't hurt either ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

From Teamtalk:

Reds draft in four new faces

Rafael Benitez has confirmed he has signed four new players ahead of the start of next season - with the promise of two or three more to come before the end of the week.

Dutch star Bolo Zenden was officially unveiled as a Liverpool player on Monday afternoon after completing his free transfer from Middlesbrough and he could make his debut in Saturday's friendly at Wrexham.

Benitez also revealed the club have now completed the signing of goalkeeper Jose Reina from Villarreal while Mark Gonzales has signed from Albacete and young right back Antonio Barragan has arrived from Sevilla.

The Liverpool boss said: "We have today introduced Bolo Zenden as a Liverpool player but we have also signed Jose Reina, the best goalkeeper in Spain, Mark Gonzales, the best player in Chile and Antonio Barragan.

"We will be signing two or three more players this week."

Not bad. Two/Three more to come this week. They kept that quiet.

TheMonster wrote:
    TBH - they don't need to improve a lot - the last 2 years have shown its not necessarily the top team that wins it - its the team that adapts best to the matches. United and Arsenal need to develop a way of playing in Europe that is effective. The PL proved they are a better team than Liverpool.

You still dont get it, do you. The EPL is not the absolute measurement of a teams capability. An EPL position or points tally does not "prove" anything. I am not saying that Liverpool are the best team in Europe, or indeed any CL winner in any given year, indeed their performances in the EPL would seem to indicate that they are poor and very poor at times. Excruciating was the verb I used for some of those games. But equally, Man U must accept that their performances in the CL were poor at times, not hugely poor, but not up to the necessary standard to avoid being knocked out. They are different competitions, but the CL is a much tougher competition. Just look at the records of Man U, Arsenal, Milan, Real, etc.

I agree that Arsenal, and to a lesser extent Man U, need to adopt their game to do well in Europe. Indeed, I'm a believer of the theory that the Arsenal players and system cannot do well consistently in the CL, and that has proven to be the case in practice, as Henry, Pires and co, get stopped against good defences but can just walk the ball in after 15 passes or in the EPL, or Henry attempts 200 shots or whatever he does and 25 go in in a season. Arsenal can and do play lovely football, but to date that lovely football has been beaten in the CL.

For all those that use the EPL as a baramoter of football prowess, wake up. The managers of your teams have!

+++

Back to the thread:

I read this:
    Reina is a penalty saving expert as last season for Villarreal he saved seven out of nine spot kicks faced.

That is a good record. Ironically, in 2001, one of the penalties he let in was one by Gary McAllister against Barca. Penalty saving isnt everything of course. He is young but he will be given a lot of chances by Benitez, being a Spaniard. If he plays conistent and doesnt have too many mistakes or injuries, Dudek will be relegated to 2nd fiddle. I for one think that is a poor "thank you" for Dudek in the CL, but life goes on for Benitez and he wants to change things into his way, and do well. I still have my doubts about the Spanish-isation approach he is taking.

As for Zenden, his peak was probably in the late 90's, when at Barca. He was a star for Holland at one point, their best player, but now cant make the team. He was ok at Mid. but they are a team of rejects and misfits really, apart from their up and coming young players such as Downing.

I also see Benitez brought another right back. I presume thats for the 2nd team, unless he really is intent on elling Josemi. If he does, that is proof that Josemi was a mistake, a point that I argued in minority on boards last year. Everything Benitez does is not correct, picking Kewell in the CL final for example.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

redspider wrote:

For all those that use the EPL as a baramoter of football prowess, wake up. The managers of your teams have!

IMO a club's performance over an entrie season says more than a few cup games, any team can have an off period and any team can have a lucky few games, it's how a club performs week in week out that matters. Winning the league is every clubs aim at the start of the season, I mean for gods sake you can't even get into the CL unless you finish in the top 4 or win it the previous year.

So I don't see how you reckon the managers have woken up, I mean Liverpool could get to the semi's of the CL this year and finish 5th, where would that leave them the following year??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Uefa Cup ...

But thats off redspider's baramoter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Redspider, do you expect Liverpool to repeat their success in the CL next year? Like Semi-finals level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can I just remind you most of the last 2 pages has NOTHING to do with the topic! Now shut up about the last season its dead and gone.

Right onto business at hand. No suprises today except for Barragan (I'd beter do a google), of the other 3 one is prolly Kuyt. Hope Crouch is'nt another!

Rafa and Parry have done exactly the right thing today, its pretty damned obvious that all the crap over the last 24 hrs is down to SFX and Gerrards agent. I got to wonder why a grown man who knows the game needs a wet nurse. The best thing he can do is sign and then sack Struan Marshall. He's a leech.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

redspider wrote:
    You As for Zenden, his peak was probably in the late 90's, when at Barca. He was a star for Holland at one point, their best player, but now cant make the team. He was ok at Mid. but they are a team of rejects and misfits really, apart from their up and coming young players such as Downing.
    His peak was in the late nineties? At 23? Hardly. Between 98 (his transfer to Barca) and 2003 (his transfer to Boro) the lad started less than 60 league games. You may call that "the peak of his career" but I dont.

Zenden never really settled at either Barca or Chelsea. At Middlesboro he was given a regular game, and excelled, in particular last year in a more central role. And by the way this "team of misfits" only finished three points behind Liverpool (a fact that LFC fans are quick to point out about Everton above them) and performed reasonably also well in the UEFA cup in their first European season.

He has lost his place in the Holland team due to the emergence of Robben but he is still a valuable squad member. I dont think he ever has "their best player" but 53 caps at his age is testament to his ability.

I think a lot of people (including LFC fans) are not giving Zenden credit for his ability. He is settled in England, and speaks fluent English, he will adapt immediately. He is also a player that despite playing at some of the biggest clubs in Europe, has won very little, and has also never really had a place to call home. Liverpool will give him the chance to fulfill his ambitions, which Im sure are still very large.

His versatility will see him starting far more games than people think. And I think he will revel in it. That coupled with his ability and experience should see a lot of people change their tunes on this guy who "is ok for a squad player".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

The latest roumers about the Gerard situation is that he, Parry and Benitez met this afternoon without gerrards agent. Apparently it all comes from gerrards lack of enthusiasm for the signings so far and he and benitez had words to this effect on saturday. What gives this story some credibility are rafa's comments at the press conference:

I renew my deal with Liverpool in four or five years and when I do I would like Stevie to be my next coach, the assistant manager and maybe even the next manager after me. He can even have the chief scout position if he wants it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The latest roumers about the Gerard situation is that he, Parry and Benitez met this afternoon without gerrards agent. Apparently it all comes from gerrards lack of enthusiasm for the signings so far and he and benitez had words to this effect on saturday. What gives this story some credibility are rafa's comments at the press conference:

I renew my deal with Liverpool in four or five years and when I do I would like Stevie to be my next coach, the assistant manager and maybe even the next manager after me. He can even have the chief scout position if he wants it.
    Interesting. I thought that comment was strange alright when I read it.

Its shocking that so many people are getting their knickers in a twist over the signings so far. Liverpool have signed four players, and its only a couple of days into July. The league doesnt start for another six weeks. So what if Liverpool start their season early, the squad doesnt need to be strengthen to overcome the first two rounds of the CL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

from anfieldroad.com

A busy day at Melwood and Anfield today as the press hovered like vultures waiting for Liverpool to announce the departure of Steven Gerrard. Reports over the last week or so came to a head this morning with claims that Steven Gerrard had been arguing on Saturday with Rafael Benitez and that he wasn't going to talk any more. Last week's stories started in Spanish paper "As" and reported Gerrard as telling Benitez he was tempted by a move to Spain and Real Madrid.

More updates are filtering through from unofficial channels as to where these stories have all originated. The stories in today's press did come from SFX it seems. Not from Gerrard's actual agent Struan Marshall though, but allegedly from other senior members of staff at the agency.

The reports in last week's Spanish press are alleged to have come from Real Madrid, who are moving as they often do to unsettle players through the press.

The delay, albeit a very short one, has come from Rick Parry assuming that there was no need to rush into the deal as Gerrard wanted to stay. Gerrard has privately made it very clear that he does want to stay.

The management at SFX seem to be on their own agenda. They want Gerrard to move away from Anfield so that they can get higher commission. Last year it was a move to Chelsea, this year it's a move to Madrid.

Last week's stories were "leaked" by Madrid. Stories that claimed Gerrard wanted to leave. Whether SFX had any dealings with this story is unknown, but they have since used it to their advantage, by saying that Liverpool had planted the stories to make Gerrard unpopular. They even claimed that Benitez had leaked the story - something which has made Benitez extremely angry as he denies doing this.

Parry and Benitez have been meeting with Gerrard this afternoon, in an attempt to explain their side to the captain. Hopefully they'll be able to do this without members of SFX present. We are told that the "bust-up" on Saturday did not happen - it was invented by SFX. Liverpool are willing to meet his contract demands. There's been a major misunderstanding between the two sides, with the agency in the middle trying to turn Gerrard's head. Again.

From what we have been told SFX, Chelsea and Real Madrid have all been involved in leaking stories in an attempt to engineer matters to their own advantage. There's even allegations that some of this may have been bending UEFA and FIFA rules, if not breaking them.

Struan Marshall also handles Jamie Carragher, but Carragher is not likely to leave Anfield. He's trusted by Gerrard, but Gerrard will no doubt question this in light of the recent events. Gerrard is reportedly extremely upset and pressured, as people he trusts are all contradicting each other. He needs to take stock of what is happening and work out who he should trust. If Struan Marshall is an innocent party in this - and from what we've been told he isn't responsible for the manipulation of the media - then he needs to get to the bottom of what's happened internally within SFX to ensure Gerrard is now told the truth.

Liverpool's financial problems are still there but are not playing any part in these problems surrounding Steven Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Uber, we're clearly reading the same sites - I just saw that posted on bbc 606 Liverpool message board!

It sounds plausible alright. Its time SFX were asked a few hard questions by the media.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

mike65 wrote:
    Uber, we're clearly reading the same sites - I just saw that posted on bbc 606 Liverpool message board!

we're not reading all the same sites if barragan was a surprise to you :p

BTW where is Bannor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Bannor.. We need you.. Like Batman, never here when you want him :p

Bannor.. We need you.. Like Batman, never here when you want him :p

We have to wait until Dark to Shine the Bannor Signal in the Night Sky :D

ha ha class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

BANNOR IS BENITEZ!
    Think about it bannor has been missing for the last few days-benitez has been hidden in anfield talking 2 gerrard.

Bannor tells us who liverpool are going to sign-benitez tells liverpool (board) who he is going to sign.

Their names both begin with B....I could go on....

Have you ever seen the two together in the same place??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

All we need to do now is sell Gerrard....and with our 4 new players, we'll have the the most intimidating and feared team of "good squad members" and "potential" thats ever been unleashed on the premiership.

with "good squad members", our "potential" and with constant rumours of "top quality players" on the way in (we dont actually need the rumoured "top quality players", we'll beat teams with our media circus) then the top 3 can consider themselves screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

... :O

• Advertisement

... :O

I'd have to say if it's true it must be very tempting for Liverpool. It means on the one hand they get rid of a problem/disruption, which I think Gerrard is becoming. They then get £32m to spend on improving the team without the same crap all the way through next season of will or won't he. On the otherhand he is the Liverpool captain, one of the most influential team members (some say the most influential), a local lad and on the whole he is loved by most of the fans. But it certainly must be tempting :)

If he doesn't sign a new contract this summer then the transfer window closes, he's tied to us in European football for the season and then we get to next Summer where we once again get shafted because he only has a year on his contract. It's happened to us several times and for once I want us to take the money.

£100k a week til 2009 = £20mil. So we can save 20million on wages and add that to receipts of 30mil on the transfer and you're looking at a kitty of 50mil to spend on new players and their wages.

We've just won the CL so in terms of advertising ourselves to potential players, now is as good a time as any so the money would be good to have to spend now. The drawbacks are that we'd be losing an excellent player and every club we approach to buy players will inflate prices because they know we have money between the Gerrard transfer and CL winnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

i have been told from a very reliable source that the 2-3 signings that rafa spoke of yesterday are:

Milito
    Figo

&

Crouch.

The Figo deal is not 100% yet, but almost there.

If Figo's going to anfield does that make the Gerrard to Real move seem more likely?

irish1 wrote:
    If Figo's going to anfield does that make the Gerrard to Real move seem more likely?
    I hope it's not a factor - Figo should be free either way, if he gets bundled in then it'll a) probably delay the transfer meaning we can't list him as a CL player (presuming it were possible to wrap up in the next day or two) and b) probably be used as an excuse to knock a few million off the price of Gerrard, which it shouldn't if they had previously agreed to let him go free.

Madrid robbed us with the Owen transfer last year and Nunez wasn't much by way of compensation, I wouldn't like to seen another complex transfer with Madrid.

RAFA: WE'LL DO ALL WE CAN TO KEEP STEVIE

From lfc.tv:

Rafael Benitez last night insisted there is no problem in his relationship with Steven Gerrard as he vowed to "try to the end" to keep his captain at the club.
    Benitez and chief executive Rick Parry yesterday reiterated their desire to keep Gerrard on Merseyside as speculation intensified that his Liverpool days could be coming to an end.

But Benitez has insisted he will do everything he can to persuade his skipper to sign a new deal and has hit back at those who have mischievously suggested the two don't see eye to eye.

He said: "Has anyone seen a problem between me and Steven? Answer that. I have spoken to him about future roles at the club. I asked him what he wanted to do in the future and he gave me an idea - but that will remain private because it was a private conversation.

"For the moment we will try to do things properly. We are doing things properly. He is the first player with two years left on his contract who we are talking with. The players we have spoken to so far only had one year left on their deals.

"We recognise that Steven is a key player for us. He is a special player, a match-winner, and there are very few of those around."

Benitez also insisted he didn't want to cash in on Gerrard and then use the money to rebuild his team for next season.

"We don't need more money - we don't need to sell Stevie," he added. "We have a clear idea of who we want and the players want to come here and play for the European champions. Maybe we need a little but not too much... we don't need a lot more money. The fans need to understand that.

"My idea is that we want him to stay - that's what the chief executive and the board all want. We will talk with the player, the agent and we will try to find a solution. We will try right until the end."

• Advertisement

Chelsea fail in £32m Gerrard bid
    Exclusive by Phil McNulty
    Chief football writer

From BBC

Liverpool will turn down Chelsea's £32m offer for unsettled Steven Gerrard.
    Anfield chief executive Rick Parry told BBC Sport Chelsea had made a bid for Liverpool's 25-year-old captain, who has broken off talks on a new contract.

He said: "I can confirm we have had a bid from Chelsea and that it will be rejected by us."

Liverpool have now offered Gerrard a deal worth £100,000-a-week to stay, but are not optimistic he will stay, with Real Madrid also waiting in the wings.

Gerrard met a high-level Liverpool delegation, led by Parry and chairman David Moores, on Monday evening after the England star's advisors called off contract negotiations earlier in the day.

Liverpool then made Gerrard the biggest contract offer in the club's history, and were told he would go away and sleep on the deal.

They are still hopeful Gerrard will have a similar change of heart to the one that led him snub a move to Chelsea at the 11th-hour last season, but BBC Sport understands Liverpool are not optimistic that he will agree to stay.

Real Madrid confirmed their interest on Tuesday in the England star, who has two years left on his current deal at Anfield.

They now appear set for a bidding war with Chelsea for the services of Gerrard, who is thought to be upset that Liverpool did not place a high enough priority on the contract negotiations.

Chelsea's offer was higher than the previous British record buy, which was set at £29.1m when Manchester United bought Rio Ferdinand from Leeds in 2002.

But the feeling in Spain has always been that Gerrard would not leave Liverpool for another English club - which has encouraged Real.

Bernabeu director of football Arrigo Sacchi said on Monday: "Of course we are interested in him, what big club isn't?"

But Sacchi suggested Gerrard would have to hand in a formal transfer request first.

"Until the player makes a move we are not going to be involved in a fight for his services."

Sacchi also rubbished rumours that Real and Chelsea had a deal aimed at keeping the price down for Gerrard.

He said: "We have no agreement with Chelsea. How could we when our clubs are always interested in the same players?"

According to reports, Gerrard currently earns £60,000 per week at Anfield. It is claimed Real will pay him up to £130,000 per week, with Chelsea going no higher than £90,000.

Liverpool open their defence of the Champions League crown with a qualifier against Welsh side TNS on 13 July.

If he plays in that match he would be ineligible to turn out for any other side in the competition.

Liverpool chiefs are thought to be surprised at the speed with which negotiations to keep their captain dissolved.

Parry said on Monday: "We still hope this situation is repairable. We are completely surprised by the comments (from Gerrard's agent).

"Rafa Benitez wants Steven to stay and couldn't have made it any clearer.

"We have made it clear since January we wanted to talk to Steven about a new contract.

"For anyone to make an issue of a delay of just a few days makes no sense. When we met on Wednesday, things were fine.

"We have wanted to keep Steven all along. There has never been any suggestion we wanted to sell him.

"Money is not an issue. There are no financial concerns regarding Steven's contract so any suggestion to the contrary is wrong."

And Benitez, speaking at a media conference to announce four new signings, added: "We tried last season three times to talk to Steve about a new deal and he said we need to wait."

Well that puts an end to the stories doing the rounds that Liverpool were secretly plotting to sell Gerrard behind his back, but it doesn't look good IMO :(

CROUCH !!!!!! .... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Shred wrote:
    "we will try to find a solution. We will try right until the end."

Not very positive is he?

signing crouch is worse than glazer buying us in the morning! i'll be disgusted if we buy him, really!

Give the man a chance, he is condemned before he even pulls on a red jersey. Supporting liverpool is like loving your mother, unconditional ;)

• Advertisement

TBH I can't see them signing Crouch because of the high price tag he has, West Ham had a 6 million bid for him rejected yesterday so I really can't see the pool paying more than that for him.

Sounds like the pool are waiting for Gerrard to put in a transfer request - cheaper for them than to put him up for sale - also would go down better with the fans. Gerrard on the other hand will want to be put up for sale - he has to be paid extra if this is the case and he can blame the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

LizardKing wrote:
    CROUCH !!!!!! .... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Couldn't have put it better myself especially after the saints turned down a bid of £6m from west ham for him. How could someone possibly pay more than that for him

from BBC
    "Southampton boss Harry Redknapp says he has turned down a £6m bid from West Ham for Peter Crouch - and added that the striker wants to join Liverpool.

European champions Liverpool have already had a £5m offer turned down for 24-year-old Crouch.

Redknapp told BBC Sport: "West Ham did make a cash bid but we turned it down.

"But let's not kid ourselves, Peter wants to go and play for Liverpool where he can play in the Champions League and get eight times the pay.""

We have players to exchange, west ham do not.

Give the man a chance, he is condemned before he even pulls on a red jersey. Supporting liverpool is like loving your mother, unconditional ;)

ha ha me mammy would love hearing that!
    We have players to exchange, west ham do not.

who would you be happy to get rid of? i dont think many of the current squad players would be happy playing in the championship, they'd rather move abroad!

Mellor, FSP (Loan), ALT (Loan), Diao to name but 4.

Besides, the above is hypothetical, there is no mention of a swap deal and in essence they are quite rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Mellor, FSP (Loan), ALT (Loan), Diao to name but 4.

Besides, the above is hypothetical, there is no mention of a swap deal and in essence they are quite rare.

FSP? ALT? why cant people type anymore!! its not that hard!!

Anyway I think Crouch will be going to Liverpool....if they match what West Ham offered he will go!!! The bid from West Ham was rejected because he wouldnt really move to them!! prob released that they made a bid to try and get Liverpool to get there arses in gear and make a bid!!

mike65 wrote:
    Can I just remind you most of the last 2 pages has NOTHING to do with the topic! Now shut up about the last season its dead and gone.

The relevance is that last season (and other seasons) can be used as an input to measure Liverpool's capability. With the addition of new signings, Liverpools expected capability can be assessed and estimated. So, of course its bloody relevant.

Where Liverpool are today has EVERYTHING to do with where Liverpool will be in the future. Liverpool dont buy a new team of 20 players every year as there is only a "churn rate" of about 2-4 new first team players in any given year and perhaps about 7-10 squad players.

Redspider

Big Nelly wrote:
    FSP? ALT? why cant people type anymore!! its not that hard!!

Know your players!!!

In terms of the relevance of the SG (especially for Nelly) posts he may turn out to be our biggest signing this summer, so i believe the are in context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

the way it was being argued, it was irrelevent. the point others wer saying was that finishing so far behind in league shows that we need changes and that the way it stands we cant compete. The fact we won the champs league means pretty much nothing. we already knew we could play good teams on our day but thats not where we need to progress, we need to beat bad teams when its not our day. obviously why rafa is opting for more passion and spirit because thats what we lack entirely in the premiership.

<edit> P.S FSP = Florent Sinama Pongolle, ALT = Anthony Le Tallec.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement