Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Stekelly wrote:
    In fairness I think he's comign back to form. If the volley in the first half had hit the inside of the post and went in, it would have put a different slant on his form.

The problem isn't his shooting, its his passing, in the last 2 seasons hes been probably the best passer in the premiership, this season he rarely gets anything other than short passes on the mark, and has passed to the opposition on a number of occasions in dangerous situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The problem isn't his shooting, its his passing, in the last 2 seasons hes been probably the best passer in the premiership, this season he rarely gets anything other than short passes on the mark, and has passed to the opposition on a number of occasions in dangerous situations.

I think people are being too hard on Alonso, he didnt start off too well but has been one of our best players in the last few games IMO. He must have had about 6 shots last game, most of which were decent. His tackling and passing have definitely improved since the start of the season and these stats show that.

Passing Player
    Starts---Passes--Pass %
    1 Xabi Alonso
    5 (0)----303
    81.5%
    2 Steven Gerrard
    6 (0)----274
    77.0%
    3 Steve Finnan
    5 (0)----205
    86.8%
    4 Sami Hyypia
    4 (0)----202
    78.7%
    5 Mohamed Sissoko
    5 (0)----185
    81.1%

Tackling Player
    Starts---Tackles---Tackle %
    1 Xabi Alonso
    5 (0)----25
    88.0%
    2 Mohamed Sissoko
    5 (0)
    65.2%
    3 Fabio Aurelio
    4 (2)
    86.4%
    4 Steve Finnan
    5 (0)
    90.9%
    5 Sami Hyypia
    4 (0)
    90.9%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Even with Ireland Finnan is up there in the top 3 in each match for amount of passes which is strange considering he's a right back. Finnan's also Liverpool's top player in the Actim Index. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Looks like Rafa is building for the future some more.

Heard quit a bit about him a while agoi but then all went quiet, now we know why ;)

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=420191&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=3&title=Moroccan+makes+Reds+move

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Don't get to excited we have been stung before by players who "made there mark" at the World youth Championships.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kuyt got a knock to an ankle last night, proberly out for a couple of weeks.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

mike65 wrote:
    Kuyt got a knock to an ankle last night, proberly out for a couple of weeks.

Mike.
    Not a great weekend for Liverpool, with Finnan and Bellamy continuing their recent run of bad form.

On a more positive side StevieG seemed to be on of England's less bad players and got booked so will have the rest of this week off.

I thought he was pretty terrible myself, but yep at least he gets a rest.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Dub13 wrote:
    Don't get to excited we have been stung before by players who "made there mark" at the World youth Championships.

We weren't really "stung". We didn't pay a huge amount for them, besides Pongolle has chipped in with a few important goals already (Olympiakos, Betis, Luton for a start). I think people forget he's only 21 because he's been here so long.

Well he played well and got an assist for the reserves yest, nice start for him, wonder will we see him in the first team soon :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

doesnt bode well for fowler, he hasnt seen much action yet at all so far.

True but Rafa is extolling his virtues and reckons that he will have a good run in the second half of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭smoke

Would be great to see Fowler get a run out soon. Maybe in the league cup?

smoke wrote:
    Would be great to see Fowler get a run out soon. Maybe in the league cup?

He will most likely play this weekend, since Kuyt, Crouch and Bellamy have all been on international duty.

He'll rest most of the lads that played two internationals , so we should see Sissoko and Gerrard in the middle, with Garcia , Pennant and Fowler all playing.

Crouch and Fowler for Blackburn game then. Or maybe Fowler/Garcia with Crouch on lateish.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hopefully Fowler will get a good run. HE also has the best goals to time played ratio of the squad (not great from the point of view of the rest of the squad :) )

cant see garcia getting on the pitch against blackburn, they're a bit too physical for garcia to be able to impose himself on the game, but sure u never know what rafa will do these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Thank you Stoke. They are taking Salif The Terrible for three months and will pay some of his £40,000 a week salary.
    40K....what were you smoking Gerard....

http://www.walkonlfc.com/news/oct06/salif_diaotwo.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

There is no way the great Salif is on £40,000 a week:eek:

That makes Kewell's wages look worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Looks like Pepe will be in goal for a little longer as Dudek got himself sent off in the reserve game last night. Apparently he was dismissed for violent conduct after he grabbed Everton's Victor Anichebe by the throat.

Silly boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

DaBreno wrote:
    Thank you Stoke. They are taking Salif The Terrible for three months and will pay some of his £40,000 a week salary.

Bascombe reported yesterday that he's on 20k per week - not 40k. Still silly money though .. Although I wouldn't say no to it myself ;)

zing wrote:
    Bascombe reported yesterday that he's on 20k per week - not 40k. Still silly money though .. Although I wouldn't say no to it myself ;)

So have some newspaper in Stoke. I don't believe the £20k or £40k figures are correct but the truth lies in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Bellamy back on form. Didnt see their first goal, but he made the second and scored the third (great finish). Playing against his former club on Saturday - he surely has to start.

Kuyt's injury isnt as bad as expected and could figure on Saturday. But I bet they'll hold him back so as not to take any risks - plenty of big games coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Aggers broke his hand on international duty! :(

Slurms wrote:
    Aggers broke his hand on international duty! :(

Sissoko looks like he's out for this game too. Who is going to kick lumps out of Robbie Savage now ?

Crouchy can sit on him.

Mike.

Rosco1982 wrote:
    Sissoko looks like he's out for this game too. Who is going to kick lumps out of Robbie Savage now ?

This chap

Dub13 wrote:

carra needs to kick himself first, he's been in bad form lately

el rabitos wrote:
    carra needs to kick himself first, he's been in bad form lately

You don't need to be playing well to kick lumps out of Robbie Savage.;)

• Advertisement

Daniel Agger PFA player of the month for September! I did'nt know that (happened last week).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Agger is injured

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N153748061012-1307.htm

He'll have trouble accepting the reward ;)

he might be able to play with a special cast on his arm a la cantona back in the day.

kuyt is not being risked tomorrow though, but sissoko who apparantly got a knock while on international duty will probably play, so much for the robbie savage threat ay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Andy Johnson got Premiership Player of the Month for September. What's the difference between that award and the one Agger got ?

Anyone fancy guessing the starting 11 for tomorrow?! :D

Reina,
    Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise
    Gerrard, Sissoko, Alonso, Gonzalez
    Crouch, Bellamy

Mike.

hmm...gonzalez is too lightweight for this fixture i reckon, so i'll go with...

Reina,
    Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise
    Gerrard, Sissoko, Alonso, Aurelio
    Crouch, Fowler

i'm only going with fowler ahead of bellamy because he should be fresher than bellamy and because its about time he got a game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

SofaKing wrote:
    Andy Johnson got Premiership Player of the Month for September. What's the difference between that award and the one Agger got ?

I presume Agger got the young player award.

The match is on setanta tomorrow at 3pm. Just saw friedel is a doubt for blackburn.

Setanta? Exellent. Liverpool usually win games shown on non-subscription tv.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mike65 wrote:
    Setanta? Exellent. Liverpool usually win games shown on non-subscription tv.

Mike.

So many thing I want to say to that Mike..

Go on then! :D (is your inpending rant aimed at Liverpool or Setanta?)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mike65 wrote:
    Go on then! :D (is your inpending rant aimed at Liverpool or Setanta?)

Mike.

You sounded like a bitch Mike ;) Simple as ;)

• Advertisement

I have us down for a draw as it happens! :)

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    I have us down for a draw as it happens! :)

Good call,unfortunately.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

No StevieG against Bordeaux. Momo & Kuyt also doubtful with Agger & Folwer ruler out. That leaves a not very reassuring midfield of Alonso & Zenden. Peltier included in the squad but I'd imagine he's unlikely to figure unless there are further injuries.
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N153782061017-0852.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,305 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

is match tonight on telly anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Its on tomorrow, Sky Sports Xtra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

is paletta in the squad?he has played as a defensive midfielder with his old club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

seabee wrote:
    is paletta in the squad?he has played as a defensive midfielder with his old club

No.

Provisional squad: Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Riise, Hyypia, Garcia, Gonzalez, Aurelio, Alonso, Crouch, Pennant, Bellamy, Kuyt, Sissoko, Warnock, Zenden, Peltier, Dudek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Its on tomorrow, Sky Sports Xtra.

Its on Setanta Ireland too ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Not good to her about Stevie G being out injured, but it seems minor so okay if just one match is missed. Rafa said: "I think it's just a matter of an extra couple of days and then he will be fine."

However, he is our talisman so fingers crossed he is back in time. Maybe Rafa has an eye on the Man U match.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

begorrah.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement