Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ya bastard! :D

Mike.

Liverpool squad for tonight

Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Riise, Hyypia, Garcia, Gonzalez, Aurelio, Alonso, Crouch, Pennant, Bellamy, Kuyt, Sissoko, Warnock, Zenden, Peltier, Dudek.

Kuyt and Sissoko are doubtful so Zenden/Alonso in the middle proberly with Garcia off Crouch I'll guess.

Reina
    Finnan--Carra--Hyypia--Riise/Aurelio
    Pennant--Alonso--Zenden--Aurelio/Riise
    Garcia
    Crouch

bench - Dudek, Bellers, Gonzo, Sissoko, Warnock

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Liverpool goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek is facing a potential five-match suspension after being given a shock Football Association charge.

The 33-year-old Pole was sent off in a reserve derby with Everton last week and was initially facing a three-match ban for violent conduct, due to start 14 days after the offence.

But the FA have reviewed the match video and opted to further charge Dudek with improper conduct - failing to leave the field after the initial incident and confronting the referee.

The sending off came after a challenge on Dudek by Everton youngster Victor Anichebe, an incident that has already prompted Liverpool to consider an appeal and has produced strong words of condemnation from Anfield boss Rafael Benitez.

Dudek, hero of the 2005 Champions League final, was dismissed for raising his hands to the Everton player, which prompted a melee with players from both sides.

Benitez criticised Anichebe's studs-up challenge on Dudek and said: "The tackle was terrible, and their player was only booked. That's crazy."

Liverpool were bracing themselves for a goalkeeper crisis when Dudek was banned.

Scott Carson and Chris Kirkland, both England squad goalkeepers, are out on loan with Charlton and Wigan respectively and cannot be recalled until January at the earliest.

Dudek was initially due to miss the Carling Cup tie with Reading - in which he would probably have stood in for Jose Reina - as well as the league match against the same opposition and then the league game with Aston Villa.

A further two-match ban could involve a Carling Cup fourth-round tie or league games with Arsenal and Middlesbrough.

That would leave Liverpool with youth team goalkeeper David Martin - son of former West Ham defender Alvin Martin - as the only cover for first-choice Reina.

Now that problem could be increased by two matches if Dudek is found guilty of the second charge.

With crucial Champions League games, Premiership and Carling Cup matches before Christmas, any injury to Reina could see teenager Martin plunged into first-team action.

Liverpool have also been charged with failing to control their players, while Everton having been hit by a similar charge.

With Everton having a suspended FA sentence hanging over them for a first-team incident against Middlesbrough, they could find themselves being hit by a substantial fine, around £20,000.

Liverpool could be fined around £10,000 for their part in the reserve uproar, where players from both sides were involved in a major confrontation on the pitch.

Everton secretary David Harrison said: "We have been charged with a breach of FA rule E20, which is failure to control our players. We have until November 1 to reply and we also have the opportunity to request a personal hearing before the commission, should we wish to do so."

Liverpool have also got until November 1 to reply, but so far have not commented on the FA charges.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_1607216,00.html

:eek:

Any links to said incident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

they showed it on SSN. Looked like alot of handbags. Its always stupid not to leave the pitch though, someone with his experience should have a bit more cop on.

they showed it on SSN. Looked like alot of handbags. Its always stupid not to leave the pitch though, someone with his experience should have a bit more cop on.

Everton -v- Liverpool? Handbags? Can only mean one thing!

http://www.bolloxed.com/site/e107_plugins/autogallery/autogallery.php?show=Videos%2Fgrannypursefight.wmv&newwindow=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

New (to me at least) Liverpool news page, with links to news stories from most well known Liverpool sites, and updates every five mins.

http://www.lfcwire.com/

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

little off topic but does anyone know anywhere that has the current home jersey in stock in medium. have been searching for a couple of weeks, dundrum, liffey valley and henry street end of sity centre are out of them, as is liverpool site. any help much appreciated..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

daveym wrote:
    little off topic but does anyone know anywhere that has the current home jersey in stock in medium. have been searching for a couple of weeks, dundrum, liffey valley and henry street end of sity centre are out of them, as is liverpool site. any help much appreciated..

Buy it online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I wonder if you bought it from a French on-line store would you get it without the sponsor? I really liked the jersey v Bordeaux (no sponsor because of a ban on alcohol sponsorship in France).

Presumably the Crouch will be dropped for Sunday despite scoring, leaving Kuyt and Bellamy up-front. Back 4 will be unchanged I'd say - although I'd like to see Agger (he's available again) in ahead of Hyypia even tho Sami played well during the week. One place up for grabs in midfield, with each of Pennant, Garcia, Gonzalez, Aurelio and even Warnock after a good cameo v Bordeaux in with a shout. I think I'd actually go with Warnock myself for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I wonder if you bought it from a French on-line store would you get it without the sponsor? I really liked the jersey v Bordeaux (no sponsor because of a ban on alcohol sponsorship in France).

I demand that you find that out, and let me know.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dub13 wrote:
    Buy it online.

promised i'd have it for my mate by sunday, anyone know of anywhere that has them in stock somewhere in dublin??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

3-1 to beat the Scummers on Sunday, surely worth a punt, we're never 3-1 to win a game !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ialthough I'd like to see Agger (he's available again) .

Whats goin on with that? Last week he was supposed to be out for 5 weeks. I thought 5 weeks seemed a long time for a hand injury.

daveym wrote:
    promised i'd have it for my mate by sunday, anyone know of anywhere that has them in stock somewhere in dublin??

have ou tried champion sports on henry st.? they usually have a good supply of jerseys, its where i get my pool jersey every year.

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I demand that you find that out, and let me know.
    Right. I'm not going to risk buying online, so I'll head over to France next Friday for a break and I'll report back on Tuesday week.

daveym wrote:

Try the soccer shop on george's street. Just ring them tomorrow.

Saw the second 4-3 v Newcastle on Sacair Gold on TG4 last night. The one when we were 3-0 up and dominating and Newky came back to level (I only remembered James being badly at fault for the first goal, but he actually should have stopped all 3). Then in injury time Bjornebye hit in as good a cross as you'll ever see and Robbie nodded home. Anyway we were playing the wing back system and I couldnt help thinking our current players would suit the system.

3 centre backs would mean Hyypia's lack of pace wouldnt be exposed but we'd keep his aerial ability. Finnan and Riise perfectly suited to wing back. Sissoko the tackler (the player Evans never had in his system), Alonso the passer and Gerrard as attacking midfielder with two strikers ahead of him. Rafa used this system once I think (and we won), I wonder will it be used again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

i think thats what rafa was hinting at when he wanted to sign alves

Damn would like to have seen that (I never check TG4 listeings).

Wing-backs are so mid-90s!

Reina
    ---Carra-Hyypia-Agger
    Finnan
    Riise
    Sissoko--Alonso
    Gerrard
    ---Bellamy---Kuyt

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

that would be pretty sweet alright. Would let gerrard roam free to recive from alonso. as well as linking up with either full back as they attack and would be an easy formation to change during a match based on needs to go 451 or 442. Would love to see it used against a team like Reading so we wouldnt be putting too much pressure on ourselves if it didnt seem to work out.

On another note, was anyone else shocked Gonzalez was taken off instead of Garcia? I know garcia has the random wow factor that he can produce anything from nothng, but he really didnt look like he was gonna, hile gonzalez looked quite good i thought. his work in setting up Kuyts (best of the game) chance was great. He's also well able to score with a bit of magic a la garcia too so why not give him the chance..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Because Rafa has a boner for Garcia.

All well and good employing a wing-back system, but that would make the purchasing of Pennant and Gonzales a complete joke.

When Pool used that system under Evans, it was both pretty and pretty frustrating as the midfield played "waltzing triangles" sending the opposition dizzy but not actually getting the ball forwards with any great momentum.

Mike.

Mike, surely after watching the Croatia England matc that wing backs are a bad idea?

That was McClaren though! I'm not advocting a return, almost no-one plays it anymore and proberly for a reason. What Liverpool need is a well motivated team and a stable starting 11 from Rafa.

Mike.

Fowler confirmed for tomorrows nights Cup game.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

mike65 wrote:
    Fowler confirmed for tomorrows nights Cup game.

Mike.
    yipee.

oh wait.

looks like peltier, agger and paletta will be starting aswell, no break for reina though

Dudek is suspended its either him or some kid.

Dudek is suspended its either him or some kid.

thats what i was alluding to

• Advertisement

Gerrard rumours are rife but one story which is true might explain Stevies' listless performance on Sunday

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=meningitis-scare-for-daughter-of-reds-skipper-&method=full&objectid=17983661&siteid=50061-name_page.html

as for the other stuff...:rolleyes: until its proven.

Mike.

there are gerrard rumours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

el rabitos wrote:
    there are gerrard rumours?

somethin about him and his missus in the tabloids..not sure what but ppl are suggesting thats one of d reasons for the drop in form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Any highlights for the match last night?
    didnt get to see any thing last night and heard Fowler's goal was quite a good finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,305 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

koptalk have all the goals if you are a member

also highlights were on itv

fowlers goal was brilliant and his general play seemed good too, he made crouchies goal aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Fowlers goal was class...cipped the keeper from about 20yds out on a run.

At least last night they are getting back to scoring. The defence was a bit new and there were a few changes around the time Reading scored their few.

As for gerrard....I went through same thing as him 18months ago with my small fella and he actually did have meningitis, so I'm surprised he actually played at all. My mind was off the radar for about 6 weeks until he recovered fully.

Give the lads time...I feel if they can get a win against Villa on Sat and break their unbeaten run, they will get a huge boost of confidence and go on from there. 2-1 to Liverpool with Gerrard and or Alonso/Kuyt scoring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Cheers for the link to the goals. Fowler's was great. I'd love to see him get a run in the team. He's still got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

yeah what a fantastic finish by R Fowler...brought back memories alright (some bad ones Im an United fan). Its great to see a true great showing the possibility of returning to top form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

The rumour surrounding Gerrard and trouble is with his missus, her alleged drug use and paternity tests.

From what i hear its due to break in the tabloids this weekend.

mods feel free to delete this if deemed inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Fowlers goal was class. Unlucky not to get a second when the ball bounced along the crossbar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Thought Crouch should have passed to fowler after he put him through for the last goal ... but then again Crouch's job is scoring goals also

Thought Crouch should have passed to fowler after he put him through for the last goal
    your having a laugh right? Clean through on goal ya go for the goal!

Anybody got the stats on how many goals crouch has scored in his last 20 games?
    It must be fairly decent cause he's on a vain of form that would make him an automatic choice........ oh wait Raffa doesnt do automatic picks :rolleyes:

woodyg wrote:
    your having a laugh right? Clean through on goal ya go for the goal!

Dunno .... I see Rafa thought the same as me ...

Rafa wrote:
    "But Riise, Paletta and Crouch scored good goals, too. Maybe Robbie could have scored another one but Crouch didn't pass to him for his goal!"

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N153890061026-0820.htm

Harry Kewell has revealed that his latest series of injuries will keep him out until at least March.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1931848,00.html

• Advertisement

PopBitch wrote:
    >> Big Questions <<
    What people are asking this week

Which international footballer's miserable
    season is being caused, according to rumours
    flying around his home town, by the
    discovery that his missus' is having it off
    with the local gak dealer when he's away?

Hmm.. Stevies missus perhaps

This is where Raffa gets on my nerves a little.
    The hole objective of a striker is to score goals right?
    So when he scores he shouldnt be questioned on wether he should have passed.
    Fair enough if he missed then the question could be asked but he didnt!
    He finished in style with the confidence of a striker bang in form.

It's like asking if Van Basten should have passed when he volleyed in that goal in Euro88.

Raffa needs to just get on with the job of supporting his strikers by playing the man in form. Stop the rotation policy when its not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Crouch knew what he was doing though I'd prefer a pass in that situation myself. I suppose he felt comfortable that it was already 3-1 and there wasn't going to be a Reading resurgence.

The only time in recent memory that I can remember being pissed off at a player taking on the keeper instead of passing to an open team mate in front of a gaping goal was Inzaghi taking on Cech in the WC when Perrotta was totally free. His "push all team mates away" celebration compunded my anger.

In fairness though, if a striker is in a position where he May score himself, if can beat the keeper, or pass to a position where a goal is a certainty, he should pass for the good of the team. Yeah Crouchy scored, but often those things are missed. Dunno how many times this season i've screamed at gerrard to square it to a man with a clean open goal only for him to lash it and have the keeper save.

Out of curiosity (I know its an extremely unlikely possibility given his loyalty to Man U) but what would people think of Beckham at pool? This is just a question based on his ability, would people think a player of his ability be able to add to the current team? Personally i'd take him straight away and use him pretty often on the right wing. Definately think he'd add an extra level of quality and experience to the team.

Again this is really just a question of if he still has something to add to a top team (in theory at least) and not of the actual possibilty of the move taking place.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement