Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

were a bit lethargic at times in the first half, allowed boardeux to dictate the pace of the game, but the second goal upped the pace a bit and settled the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Good result.

Didn't see the game, but I notice that Alonso was subbed before 60mins. Is he injured or was he just, err, really crap ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

SofaKing wrote:
    Good result.

Didn't see the game, but I notice that Alonso was subbed before 60mins. Is he injured or was he just, err, really crap ?

He took a bit of a knock and was limping afterwards for a bit so was subbed. He had been playing quite well up 'til then - seemed to have found his passing boots again which was a bit of a relief.

All in all a deserved win, played very well at times but lost the edge just after the break and could have lost more than just the edge as a result. Good to see Garcia & Alonso finding form again and hopefully the goal tonight will do something for Stevie's confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

SofaKing wrote:
    but I notice that Alonso was subbed before 60mins. Is he injured or was he just, err, really crap ?

No, he was really good. I was surprised e was subbed but according to Benitez in his post-match interview he picked up a knock, and Rafa indicated that he probably wouldnt shake it off before Saturday.

I have a feeling that Rafa will be rotating again, and I agree with him that player rotation is a useful tool if you have the squad and the choice. It only becomes a problem when it starts affecting the players.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

redspider wrote:

I have a feeling that Rafa will be rotating again, and I agree with him that player rotation is a useful tool if you have the squad and the choice. It only becomes a problem when it starts affecting the players.

redspider

Or when you lose games and end up 11 points behind in the league?:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought Alonso was less than sparkling tbh, the whole midfield was misfiring passes in the first half.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Telegraph (yeah I know) article giving an update on the investment/buyout

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2006/11/02/sfnbos02.xml

If true, neither really appeals, then again I'm not sure who would appeal. The likes of Abramovich wouldn't really either. They obviously need investment in a bad way, but the motives of the new owner would be important.

quote from article
    This would mean Liverpool's total value is 10 times what Everton are worth, and even given the fact that their playing record is far superior and that they won the Champions League two years ago, the feeling among City experts is that is far too steep a price.

10 X seems about right to me! :D

Seriously though, its amazing that one of the worlds best known sports brand names is having a hard time finding a buyer.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Seriously though, its amazing that one of the worlds best known sports brand names is having a hard time finding a buyer.

Well from what has been reported, its not so much that they're having a hard time finding a buyer, its that they're having a hard time finding the right kind of buyer, that will agree to Moore's terms on buying a minority stake and whether he gets to stay behind and still wield some influence or not. As he has over 50% stake he can do as he pleases.

• Advertisement

Oops :( Why do footballers insist on putting themsleves in such postions?

Fans are a pain in the ass after drinking time is up and best avoided.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Anyone know if Fabregas will be punished for punching teddy after the hammers game?

I dont know if its a good time to play them or not, looking forward to Sissoko getting stuck into Fabregas if Fabregas is allowed play.

beating arsenal would do wonders to instill some belief i reckon and definitely kick-start a good long run, given the fixtures ahead.

sissoko isnt the kind of player the team can afford to lose though. if he was drunk and just punched some fan acting the spa then he's an idiot, but i forget he's only 21 :eek:

Now is either a very good time to play them or a bad one cos they'll up thier game after yesterdays embarrasment.

I imagine it'll be a mixed line-up for the League game at Brum with Folwer, Pennant, Agger, Warnock Zenden etc.

Mike.

yeah i wouldnt have any arguements with those players playing, my only concern would be that it could come down to the carling cup being the only cup we could win this year given the patchy form so far so it would be one i'd wanna win

i cant wait to see the back of zenden though, i dont know what he offers at all, i just dont see it. i suppose he makes up the numbers though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

el rabitos wrote:
    beating arsenal would do wonders to instill some belief i reckon and definitely kick-start a good long run, given the fixtures ahead.

sissoko isnt the kind of player the team can afford to lose though. if he was drunk and just punched some fan acting the spa then he's an idiot, but i forget he's only 21 :eek:

I thought Momo was Muslim ? Therefore he'd problee not have been drunk :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

LizardKing wrote:
    I thought Momo was Muslim ? Therefore he'd problee not have been drunk :confused:

I sat eating pizza with a muslim during ramadan. Maybe he fancied a day off?:) He might not be a practicing on e either.

I heard he was pretty devout - fasting and all.

Just seen on RAWK that Speedy crashed his car! No injuries apparently.

Mike.

atleast it wasnt pennant...

Rafa rings changes for League Cup game

Steven Gerrard, Sami Hyypia, Pepe Reina and Luis Garcia all staying at home with Daniel Agger, Dirk Kuyt, Xabi Alonso, Momo Sissoko, Mark Gonzalez, Jamie Carragher and Jermaine Pennant all coming on at some stage and Dudek starting his first game since ban ended. Prolly Fowler/Kuyt to start.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

After tonight i think its official that the top 2 up front for the moment is Kuyt and Crouch. Bellers was terrible tonight altogether. Missed a peno and a (possibly) even easier chance from about 3 yards out a few mins after.

After Aggers performance tonight Hypia could have to make way again, especially with the pace of Arsenals attack for next weekend.

Zenden was pretty good, albeit against inferier opposition.

With sissoko out for a while (hopefully not too long!) i guess we'll get a look at Xabi and Gerrard in the center again, with 2 wingers.

I was talking about the midfield problem with a fellow fan yesterday we could'nt decide how the square the Gerrard/Momo/Alonso circle I said one would have to be sold (!) so the second best thing has happened tonight ;)

Mike.

Heh. I suppose we'll see in the next few weeks why its important to have 3 top class midfielders. Imagine having to use Zenden as the first choice fill in for a long term injury in midfield :eek:

Its so hard to solve that problem when all three are fit since all 3 are pretty much undropable and add different elements to the team. What Rafa's been doing, giving gerrard a free role from the right is probably the best solution, lifting the responsibility of being an out and out winger so he can drift in whenever he wants and get involved, but when that happens we lack the width which is probably our best offensive strength with crouch and kuyt up front. Horrible situation for Rafa to be in. Practicaly shot himself in the foot signing the bargain of Sissoko. Bet he wasn't expecting him to fit in and do so well so fast, id say he was more of a long term/sub for the moment idea but has forced his way into starting 1st choice.

Exactly Sissoko was supposed to be a cup game/bench warmer youngster still was'nt he?

Mike.

Aye. Just turned out to be the most agressive (in a good way) and fittest player in the universe! I've actually never seen anyone cover as much ground as him! Seems like hes having a bad game if he's just doing as much as everyone else.

Now sissoko is out, i think we will seriously struggle against Arsenal.

good result, esp as it was away and that birmingham are one of the dodgy teams. a win against arsenal would really get the ball rolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Could be a blessing in disguise, allowing Gerrard to play centre. Not keen on Pennant playing on the right though, wasnt very impressive tonight.

My line-up for Arsenal game:

Reina
    Finnan-Agger-Carra-Warnock
    Garcia-Gerrard-Alonso-Riise
    Kuyt-Crouch

I'd have Agger over Hyypia purely because of the pace in Arsenal's team. Garcia is always good for a goal in the big games, and was in a nice run of form recently.

Now sissoko is out, i think we will seriously struggle against Arsenal.

Yeah, we've just sent Salif Diao out on loan as well.. :D

It never rains but it pours..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

pennant is not the best is he ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

mada999 wrote:
    pennant is not the best is he ?

Very frustrating player , like bellamy , if he does not get the pass he wants he moans or gives out to the passer ... I certainly would not like to play footy with him ... hopefully he'll come good though :rolleyes:

Gerrard in the centre of midfield against Arsenal wont work. We need someone who will hound the Arsenal midfield and wont give them time on the ball. Gerrard and alonso cant do that. I wouldnt be surprised to see Zenden in midfield and gerrard on the right. Or atleast Zenden on the left hand side.

Hopefully gerrard wont set thiery henry up with another goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Gerrard should start in the centre with Alonso it's his best position. He needs to step up to the plate on this one. Gonzalez should start on the left this will keep the Arsenal full back from pushing on to much. My main worry would be the centre defence. If Agger plays it will give us pace there if not Henry will have a field day (great for my fantasy footy bad for the pool).
    Alonso will have to play deep to keep tabs on Rosicky and co.
    if we attack them it will put less pressure on the defence.
    Reyna
    Finnan Carra Agger Rise

Penant Gerrard Alonso Gonzalez

Kuyt Crouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

mike65 wrote:
    we could'nt decide how (to) square the Gerrard/Momo/Alonso circle I said one would have to be sold (!) so the second best thing has happened tonight ;)

The square is circled but perhaps not in the ideal way, as Sissoko's tackling ground work and effort and winning the ball back will be missed by Alonso and Gerrard. Alonso in the centre has been doing hsi best to get stuck in (for a gentleman) and win as much ball as possible, but Gerrard will perhaps have to up his game in this aspect as he is rusty and has left it up to Sissoko a lot. He has the capability to do it, and I hope he doesnt get injured doing it. He will also want to go forward and he will need to control that somewhat.

3 months is a long time for Sissoko to be out so Gerrard and Alonso will get a good run (depending on Rafa's rotation decisions) in central midfield.

Lets see what happens,

Redspider

3 months???? ****!

Mike.

• Advertisement

thats a pretty huge loss. the only plus is that the champions league is out of the way until february and he'll be back for that

Mucho discussion on RAWK board about who to play where, Dan Agger has been suggested and Riise (he used to play CM for Monaco)! If Gerrard rediscovers the art of tackling then he's the best bet - Pennant or Garcia can play right and we did buy Pennant for a reason.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Momo is a huge loss and I feel that we'll drop points over the next three months that we wouldn't have done if he were fit. Such a pity. ON a brighter note, I thought Gonzalez had a very good game last night. I think that he should be given a run of games on the left now with Garcia/Pennant on the right.

I think Riise would do well in centre midfield. He's mobile enough for it, and he'd be a goal threat going forward. Behind Zenden there isn't a lot of options unless you go along the lines of Hobbs, Peltier, Guthrie, or Mannix. Unless you bring Agger in to the back, and push Carra into midfield, but he hasn't played there in years...

theres no point even entertaining the idea that riise or agger or some other random will be slotting into momo's role when gerrard is the natural player to play there.

its a big loss but theres no real need to panic, the midfield that won the champions league is still there and improved, if the team cant cope without losing 1 player then the team as a whole is very sub standand. if gerrard cant go out there and at least act like the complete midfielder for a few months then he can hand back at least half of his 100k a week contract because thats about all he's worth if he cant

• Advertisement

el rabitos wrote:
    theres no point even entertaining the idea that riise or agger or some other random will be slotting into momo's role when gerrard is the natural player to play there.

Well I wasn't. Of course Gerrard should be moved into the middle. I'm just talking about when the need comes to rest players and rotate players in and out, or if one of them gets injured. Next in line is Zenden, and after that god only knows who from the list of youngsters I listed.

One thing is for sure though, its going to end the arguments one way or another over where Gerrard's best position is. If the team form dips while Momo is out, or if we start getting taken apart in midfield, he can have no complaints about being moved to the side again when Momo comes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The current situation really makes you yearn for the calming prescence of Dietmar Hamann now doesn't it?

Personally, I don't think that Gerrard and Alonso with Zenden in reserve is too bad. I happen to rate Zenden myself and think that he is more than adequate cover.

Obviously, the back four will be less protected without big Momo, but a midfield of Gonzalez / Gerrard / Alonso / Pennant will offer more width and will allow us to better exploit Kuyt and Crouch up front.

For me, the real positive thing about Momo being out this weekend is that it will force Benitez to go with two up front. The 4 - 5 - 1 just didn't cut it at Old Trafford and I think sticking with what's worked the last couple of games will be good.

Hyppia at the back for me. Agger might have more pace, but Henry and Arsenal will expose his other weaknesses. I would play Riisse left back. Warnock is not really an option for this game IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Without Momo, you will need more pace at the back than Hyppia has to offer.

MoMo is a massive loss, but United are currently playing with a DMC and it goes fine.
    A 4-4-2 with Alonso-Gerrard is comparable to the style of play of Carrick-Scholes.
    It really bugs me that modern football apparently requires a DMC to protect the defense, hopefully with Liverpool playing an attacking 4-4-2 like United we can dispel this myth a little bit.
    It will however put more pressure on the defense, and the preformances of Carragher will be of course vital as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

A small bit of an aside but when is the draw for the next round of the carling cup?

on saturday i think

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

el rabitos wrote:
    on saturday i think
    We drew Arsenal at home. Should be able to win that given our superb home form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Not the easiest draw!!! I wonder how many of the youngsters will get a game.

He! Thats a tricky one. Still, to win a cup you have to play a top team at some point.

Makes tomorrows game all the more important.

Mike.

Probably be 2 very different teams that play each other in the cup then play tomorrow. Arsenal never take it very seriously and just use it as a chance to blood some kids. Could see Rafa putting out a middle strength team (couple of first teamers and the rest fringe first teamers) with players like gerrard and kuyt on the bench if needed.

Have an oddly good feeling about tomorrow. Everyone at Anfield seems to be rousing a bit about the away form, comments coming from all the players and Rafa giving it some as well to get some sparks flying. Want to see crouch and kuyt up front with Fowler as first choice replacement over Bellers. Fowler just loves to score against Arsenal!

Pool being forced to play with gerrard in the middle and 2 proper wingers is probably a blessing in disguise as the Emerites pitch is so wide gerrard on the right (constantly drifting inside) would probably have left a lot of space to be exploited. Hopefully Pennant can up his performance and pull something out to get a bit of revenge against the team that bombed him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I still reckon Garcia should start, he's on better form than either Pennant or Gonzales and has the capability to produce something in big games like these.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement