Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

redspider wrote:
    Also, if everything was so above board, why wasnt he listed in the clubs numbering system on the official club website and as a player on the official club programmes.

It's not the first time this has happened - IIRC a bunch of the 'youngsters' had to be issued with numbers just before one of the FA Cup or CC matches a year or two back. And I kinda expect it to happen again this year - if you look at the official squad list there's a few young players who play regularly for the reserves who have no numbers assigned to them at present - there's a good chance some of them will get a chance in the early rounds of the FA cup or possibly even the CL game next week so will need numbers officially assigned should the need arise.

El Zhar's signing didn't attrack major headlines as signings of younger players rarely does but I do remember reading about it at the time. Sky at least carried the story at the time:
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=420191&plid=68302&clid=14&cpid=8

So would certainly appear to have been all above board..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Yeah Guys, I realise it wasnt done underhand or illegally. Liverpool clearly were within their rights to sign this player and their stated intentions from the start were to give him a season in the reserves. Only due to circumstances was he called upon. Its just strange tat players dont have assigned numbers.

I think though an improvement to the sport as a whole would be reduced squad sizes and prevention of loaning players out to other clubs. This would stop the likes of the bigger clubs using their market power to dominate and control most of the talent. I would like to see squad sizes limited to 30 players for the season.

Redspider

ps: any injury news with Alonso?? I thought he only had a dead leg, and that should be cleared up by now I would have thought ?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He'll be back for Wigan, I read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Anyone know if the wigan game is on tv? Cant find it anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i think its on setanta but im not sure.

just checked setanta's website and it seems it not on. www.rte.ie is down so cant check there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its on RTE 2 I think.

Mathew Upson issues 'come and get me' plea. Will Liverpool be interested?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mike65 wrote:
    Its on RTE 2 I think.

Mathew Upson issues 'come and get me' plea. Will Liverpool be interested?

Mike.

Hmmm i dunno.. the summer before last when he was touted a bit i would have taken him in a second, but since then we've got agger and paletta so are covered enough with carra and agger/hypia as first choice, hypia/agger cover and paletta being given the odd game.. he seems pretty injury prone too. think there are more important areas to spend money in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I wonder is Bellamy very unpopular at Anfield.

I didnt notice if anyone went to celebrate with him after his first goal v Wigan. But for the second, only one other player went up to him - Riise. Riise seemed then to gesticulate down the field to the other players to come over and celebrate when he realised he was the only one.

Hopefully I'm reading something into nothing..

EDIT: He should be popular with Kuyt at least now!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

who gives a toss if hes hated?

• Advertisement

Indeed!

Hyypia is slower than a decommissioned iceburg :(

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1963261,00.html
    Liverpool are on the verge of a new era after the chairman and majority shareholder, David Moores, granted Dubai International Capital permission to undertake due diligence in anticipation of a £450m takeover of the Anfield club.

Moores and his chief executive, Rick Parry, have granted DIC, a company owned by Dubai's ruling Maktoum family, the exclusive right to study the club's books despite rival propositions drawn up by, among others, the US businessman George Gillett Jr - formerly owner of the Harlem Globetrotters - and the Belfast-based construction tycoon John Miskelly.

Although the finer details of any deal with DIC will only become clear once due diligence has been carried out, it is understood that Moores has agreed to drop his initial valuation of the club to about £170m. That will see him accept about £4,500 a share - rather than £6,000 - with his majority 51% stake to be diluted.

The Moores family has been involved with Liverpool since the 1950s and, rather than sever ties completely, Liverpool's chairman of 15 years is expected to be given an honorary role under the new regime. Parry may remain as chief executive, particularly given his heavy involvement in attempting to move the club to a new stadium in Stanley Park. Neither chairman nor chief executive will be on the flight to Istanbul today for the Champions League tie against Galatasaray.

No formal announcement of a takeover is anticipated before Christmas but Liverpool's three-year search for new money appears to be drawing to a successful conclusion. In that time they have courted potential investment from parties as diverse as the Kraft family and Thaksin Shinawatra, the former prime minister of Thailand.

DIC's chief executive, Samir al-Ansari, claims to be a supporter of the club but the company, although it has independent status, is ultimately owned by the Maktoums. They are willing to fund the £200m construction of a 60,000-seat stadium and will cover the club's long-term debts - about £80m - but it remains to be seen whether Rafael Benítez will benefit in the January transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Other reports state that its unlikely the deal will completed in time for money to be given for new players.

It would make things interesting if it would. By the looks of things Chelsea & ManU are both in the market, and West Ham & Villa have both come into money lately as well. Throw in other clubs like Newcastle looking for players to avoid the financial meltdown of relegation and it could be a busy transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

It looks like an intresting deal. Is the deal just for Moores 51% share or is it for the hole club? The 200 million for the stadium looks like quite and under estimation of the cost since Arsenals stadium showed how quick the costs will rise by. Still not overly convinced this is the best option but the investment is needed. Unlike the top earners our lack of a large stadium is hurting us badly.

i cant find the link but there was a report done in to how much more Arsenal and Man utd. Arsenal earm about 1.5 million and Utd earn 3.0 milion more per home match due to there larger capacity.
    Thats alot of cash.

A few more of the youngsters to get a chance on Wed by the looks of it with
    Gerrard, Hyypia, Finnan and Reina all being left behind.

Squad that travelled is:
    Dudek, Agger, Riise, Alonso, Crouch, Fowler, Pennant, Bellamy, Kuyt, Carragher, Paletta, Luis Garcia, Guthrie, Peltier, Darby, Martin, Anderson, Roque.

Hopefully Anderson gets a game - he's looked promising from what I've seen of him and would like to see him get some more first team football under his belt.
    Think it's Darby's first call up to the first team so good luck to him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Mate of mine is looking to get the home liverpool jersey with long sleeves, any sites on the web that have them or any shops in the city of Dublin?

Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

not sure about dublin,why not get it from the official liverpool web site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Saw one yesterday, they had all the adidas brands with long sleves in Champion Sports, Liffey Valley. They are €70 with the longs...

woodyg wrote:
    It looks like an intresting deal. Is the deal just for Moores 51% share or is it for the hole club?

Sounds like it's for the entire club. Even Bascombe is reporting on it now and while his word isn't anywhere close to gospel he's usually got the inside track with what's going on with the club.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=dubai-will-buy-reds%26method=full%26objectid=18205842%26siteid=50061-name_page.html
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=%2Dpound%2D400m-to-start-a-new-era%26method=full%26objectid=18205834%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

Claiming the deal could even be completed by the end of the month so could be a few quid available for Rafa for the January sales.

Naturally some people won't be happy with the club being sold to a foreigner but this crowd don't seem to be the 'make a quick buck' type of investors. Money is hardly a problem to them and while we may or may not get Chelsea style transfer budgets I do think this crowd are going to be in it for the long haul so should be able to maintain the long term stability of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Kinda suprsied so many of the 1st team have gone to Istanbul, thought he would have left more behind with this being a very needless game but i can see the idea in that were on a run of wins lets keep it going.

I can see alot of the young lads getting a run though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

What most Liverpool fans don't seem to realise is that apparently their Net Spend is very similar to Man Utds since PL began, the difference is Liverpool have consistently bought mid range players(4-10M) where Utd have tended to buy a smaller number of big name players. Therefore the money has been available just hasn't been spent correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Here ya go.....

All the details of this deal wont become public for a while. Its still only talks and not a done deal.

The general situation is that Liverpool is 'For Sale', so buyers are welcome, and I think the sellers (Moores et al) are doing a good job of trying to ensure that whoever comes in at least tries to do it for the good of the club and company and with a future plan in mind. Liverpool need to expand ground capacity just to keep up with their main competitors and this is a stipulation. I think Liverpool fans can be thankful to Moores and the current owners for not just taking their money and running, which is clearly what they could do.

In terms of the Dubai buyers, there are worse buyers out there. They clearly have a lot of funds behind them and are looked on favourably by-and-large in the investment and sports world (Horses, A1, etc).

By the way, did anyone see the item on Football Focus about club owners, etc? The Birmingham City chairman was very good I thought. Basically he outlined that people do it for the limelight, the pleasure of it, etc. And its well known that its not a way to make money. Having said that, there are some owners who are making money from their clubs, not everyone runs theirs at a loss. Indeed, Liverpool have made some profits in recent years.

But some clubs are being ran at a huge loss, Chelsea is the extreme example where the owner is using it as his plaything. Whether the Maktoums, who have strong horse links in Ireland by the way, will overspend and want to create another Real Madrid is anyone's guess. We wont really know what their full intentions are until we can see for a fact what has been done over 3 or so years. I for one would not welcome too much money, as strange as that seems.
    woodyg wrote:
    Still not overly convinced this is the best option but the investment is needed. Unlike the top earners our lack of a large stadium is hurting us badly.

i cant find the link but there was a report done in to how much more Arsenal and Man utd. Arsenal earm about 1.5 million and Utd earn 3.0 milion more per home match due to there larger capacity.

Who in business terms would make such an investment? Anybody with just that amount of money would be mad to put it into a football club where returns are not guaranteed. Other business are more predictable and more manageable and there are much easier ways to make money. Indeed, the only people that can afford the big clubs these days are people that have that amount of excess money. The Maktoums have deep pockets, so in a way its better to see them get it for future assurance reasons.

In terms of the matchday revenues, as they are called, whilst not an exact baramoter, the capacity is a good rough guide:

Man Utd - 76,000
    Arsenal - 60,432
    Newcastle - 52,193
    Liverpool - 45,000
    Chelsea - 42,449

Liverpools income in 2004/05 was 181.2m. This compared with these other clubs as follows:

Man Utd - 246.4
    Chelsea - 220.8
    Liverpool - 181.2
    Arsenal - 171.3
    Newcastle - 128.9
    Tottenham - 104.5
    Celtic - 92.7
    Man City - 90.1
    Everton - 88.8
    Rangers - 81.6
    Bolton - 78.6
    Middlesboro - 77

The matchday income that season was as follows:

Man Utd - 102.5
    Chelsea - 83.7
    Arsenal - 55.4
    Newcastle - 52.2
    Liverpool - 49.0
    Celtic - 46.5
    Tottenham - 31.2
    Everton - 27.7
    Man City - 22.3

So with Arsenal upping their matchday income this season, Liverpool are falling behind the top-3 with every match.

Redspider

TheMonster wrote:
    What most Liverpool fans don't seem to realise is that apparently their Net Spend is very similar to Man Utds since PL began, the difference is Liverpool have consistently bought mid range players(4-10M) where Utd have tended to buy a smaller number of big name players. Therefore the money has been available just hasn't been spent correctly.

Have you got good financial data to back the Net Spend being similar? Salaries also have to be taken into consideration.

In terms of Salaries, here are some figures for the 2001/02 season:

Man Utd - 98.3
    Arsenal - 84.5
    Chelsea - 76.5
    Leeds - 74.0
    Liverpool - 69.1
    Rangers - 50.8
    Newcastle - 44.4
    Tottenham - 44.0
    Celtic - 38.7
    Bayern Munich - 38.0
    Aston Villa - 30.9

Man Utd were spending approx 50% more on salaries than Liverpool in that season. Other seasons are similar with Man Utd able to pay more.

Player spending (purchasing of player registrations) needs to be calculated on an ongoing basis looking at more than a single season (financial year) and also taking into consideration the amount that players have been sold at.

The Net Spend in transfers per season then needs to be totalled with the Salary spend per season.

If you can provide me with a comparison of both clubs over the last 10 years or whatever then feel free.

Liverpool have spent in the marketplace, there is no doubt about that.

Redspider

A lot of money has been spent alright (aka the 80m debt) but most of it was wasted, ie 20m on Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou, and another 20m on paying off Houllier and his staff. Throw in the money spent on other slightly less disastrous failures such as Heskey, Smicer, Le Tallec, Pongolle, etc and thats another 20m.

The club has been amateurishly run for years though. Look at the problems people have trying to spend money on the website. Loads of stuff is always out of stock. Winning the champions league should have been used as a springboard, but instead the chance was wasted.

"Well I for one welcome our new overlords!" :)

THis deal if it comes off certainly has a few advantages over most in that its being funded by a state effectivly. So they won't go bust or feel the need to squeeze assets (not that they'd have much to squeeze!). The stadium funding is proberly what will swing it for many fans.

Of course it will mean we are in bed with arms companies but I'll hold my nose ;)

http://www.dubaiholding.com/

Mike.

Hmmm I know they make more money now from Tourism than oil, but when peak oil happens it will have to have an effect.

They're pretty hard nosed businessmen. I can't see them running a yearly 120million loss like Chelsea. What would be interesting to know is, do they make a profit from their horse racing interests?, and if so what level of profit/loss it is.

Like all the big industrial combines in the Gulf they have so many non-oil interests when they flow of money finally dries up it won't matter. Luckily they won't need to run at a huge loss, I really don't think Liverpool will suddenly start hovering up star names at inflated prices.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

mike65 wrote:
    I really don't think Liverpool will suddenly start hovering up star names at inflated prices.

Mike.

Given their interest in horses do you not think they might be in the market for Ronaldinho?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Anyone fancy a flutter on liverpool winning the league for 2007/08 , not sure the odds, but with the potential new owners (Sheikh Mohammed) being richer than Roman Abramovich it could be a good shout !

It breaks my heart, but once again Everton will be the poor men of Liverpool, but we are the peoples club, and edging towards the Champions league !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Would be interested on seeing the odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Oh for God's sake.

Surely Ruud would be a better option in the bloodstock stakes?

fade2black wrote:
    Oh for God's sake.

you cant whinge about Liverpool fans claiming next year will be our year.

you cant whinge about Liverpool fans claiming next year will be our year.

Course I can. You say it every year, and each year the prediction becomes more and more embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Do they even take bets on Premierships this early? If so I'd love to lay a bet on Spurs in like 5 years time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can't believe this sh**e has started already. It's not even Christmas and I can tell you they won't win it next year or any time soon for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Xavi6 wrote:
    Can't believe this sh**e has started already. It's not even Christmas and I can tell you they won't win it next year or any time soon for that matter.

im not saying they will but a week before ra took over chelsea they were a team that hadnt won it in near 50 years and a team no one would ever predict to win it. Anyway, it was an Everton fan that started the thread.

@ phb, u can put a bet on almost anything as far into teh future as you like, youd just have to ring somewhere like pp and request it.

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    Course I can. You say it every year, and each year the prediction becomes more and more embarrassing.

What liverpool fan has said it this year?

I don't think you know them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Thanks, I'll pass on this information! :)

Your new jersey???

(My paint skills are non-existent)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Forget 07/08, what about 06/07 ?

No more far fetched than ManYoo winning the CL anytime soon

lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

This thread is hillarious. Liverpool fans have really outdone themselves here. Not only do we have to put up with the yearly August ramblings of "this is our year" but now they have written off this year and are starting it before the christmas break!!! Classic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Twas an Everton fan that started the thread? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Dont count on the average boards user being able to figure that fact out sofaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

God forbid but i am defending Liverpool now, but my query was based purely on my own financial gain :D
    When Abramovich bought Chelsea i had a flutter on Chelski to win, unfortunatly for me they came 2nd -- so i didn't pick up, got great odds at the time though !
    You got to say the future looks rosy for Liverpool, they have hit the Dubai jackpot !

The thread starter becomes irrelevant as soon as others post on the thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement