Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Stky10 wrote:
    Yeah, but of the 13 league games they've played, he's only started 6 and come on as sub in 5. And if you look at the rest of the squad, the only ones I'd ever heard of before is Javi Guerrero and Beto. Which was my point, he's not starting many games for a small club with no money to buy big name players.

Recreativo are currently sitting 6th in Spain, ahead of the likes of Villarreal, Celta Vigo, Valencia and Depor.

Just because they're not big name players doesn't mean they're not decent.. Recreativo are a freshly promoted side so of course they wouldnt have big name players. You're saying he's not good enough to get a game in this team as tho it should be a piece of piss for him to do it. This small team have beaten Bolton (friendly), Villarreal, Betis, Celta and Valencia all very decent teams..

And Pongolle has proved himself quite successfully and taken his chances. 5 goals (mostly game deciding goals) from 6 starts and 5 late sub appearances is good whatever way you look at it. (And they havent been all poor teams, he has scored himself against celta, betis, getafe and valencia.

Realistically he was never gonna break straight into a first team that generally play with 1 up front, that were doing well and knew each other, especially with his size.

I for one would be very happy to see him come back, scored some very important goals for pool (would we have won a European cup or FA cup without him saving us with sub appearances?) and never got a real fair chance up front imo.

As i said earlier in this thread, he's currently showing the kind of form for a striker in spain that would normally have Rafa pricking up his ears!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

The fact still remains, they're a small club, with unknown (yet obviously decent enough) players that got them into the top division and without the money to attract "names". I didn't say it should be a "piece of piss" for him to get in the first team, but with the reputation he arrived with THREE AND A HALF YEARS AGO, you'd think he'd be getting more playing time than he is. He wouldn't have to be played up front necessarily, he played wide midfield for Liverpool several times. He is after all a player with loads of under age caps, and been a Toulon tournament, and youth world cup winner as well. Compare that to the rest of the Recreativo squad. They've got next to nada.
    And yes Recreativo and Pongolle are doing well, but lets see how they do over a season when teams learn more about them and how they play. The element of surprise will be gone.

He got a decent chance with Blackburn last year and blew it. One goal in ten games, and by some of the reports he was either so bad it was untrue, or else he didn't try a leg.

I don't think he has a chance in hell of making it at Liverpool. If Benitez really rated him he wouldn't have brought Fowler back, Kuyt in, and sent Pongolle off out on loan. If DIC takes over, it looks they'll have the money to bring in who he (Benitez) wants. Besides, with some of the statements he's (FSP) come out with this week, I'd say they'll be glad to see the back of him. If they could have got money out of Recreativo in the summer I'd say he'd be gone already.

http://www.football.co.uk/liverpool/florent_happy_in_spain_238293.shtml

oh yeah, i mean we'll see over the course of the season, but for the moment all we can judge him on is what he's done this year, and on that, to be fair, ye cant fault the guy. I wouldn't particularly blame him for not pushing into the squad in midfield, cause he's not a midfielder. He's been played in his best position, up front, and he has managed to even get starting on his own up there (based on their main striker only having 7 starts to his 6 over 13 games), which is a testament to him considering his size. we'll see if he can keep it up. On last year, i saw him a few times at blackburn in which he didnt make much of an impact, but equally i saw him have a few great games there too! Things didnt work out as well as they could have but he seems to be making amends a bit now at least.

yeah i posted that link up earlier in the week (well the skysports equivelent of it), tis a pity he's decided to burn his bridges. I know there was next to no chance anyway of rafa taking him back, but form in spain would have been his one ticket to another (or first) fair go at liverpool. ill always have a soft spot for him anyway (as would most pool fans id say) after his incredibly important, if small, part in winning our most recent 2 major trophies.

Wouldnt be to surprised to see him making something of himself over the next few years though, he has still only just turned 22.

was just thinkin, everyone in spains gonna want a liverpool loanee from now on, with the (so far) success of Pongolle this year and Gonzalez last year almost singlehandedly keeping Sociedad up! :D

Stky10 wrote:
    Pongolle who are now struggling to get games for the spanish equivalent of Charlton.

prob more the equivalent of Reading, both came up this year, have outperformed everyones expectations and both now sit in 6th, but almost certainly wont be there come the end of the season.

Goddammit its really sucking not being able to sleep! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool - Arsenal Cup tie on BBC1 Saturday Jan 6th 5.15 pm :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Todays starting XI:
    Reina, Finnan, Agger, Carragher, Riise, Pennant, Alonso, Gerrard, Garcia, Kuyt, Bellamy.

Sub: Dudek, Hypia, Fowler, Gonzalez, Crouch.

Looks very much like a standard 4-4-2 formation from that line up.

Yep, Looks good.

Mike.

probably the strongest team that could be put out, taking injuries into consideration.

should get the win anyway. have an odd feeling mcbride will score one though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

~Rebel~ wrote:
    have an odd feeling mcbride will score one though!

Well he had a shot in the first half that was well saved by Reina :)

I was delighted with the result. I thought the scoreline reflected the pattern of the match a lot better than the Wigan match. Unlike Wigan, Fulham basically played for a point from the beginning and thankfully got just what they deserved from the match - nothing.

Pennant looks to be showing signs of hitting form which is great. I must also congratulate Jamie Carragher on his cracking finish!

Now let's do a job on Charlton to keep this run going. What odds on another 4:0 scoreline?

• Advertisement

Decent I'd say. I also imagine Rafa will stick with this line up, its working pretty well even if it does contain a fair few lightweights.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Cisse impresses on Ligue 1 return

Striker Djibril Cisse played his first game for Marseille after a six-month injury lay-off and created the winning goal in the 2-1 victory over Monaco.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6166381.stm

The permanent transfer option is something like 7 or 8 million pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

~Rebel~ wrote:
    was just thinkin, everyone in spains gonna want a liverpool loanee from now on, with the (so far) success of Pongolle this year and Gonzalez last year almost singlehandedly keeping Sociedad up! :D

Maybe if we start a Diao to Deportivo rumour it might happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

A good result for Liverpool - although Liverpool took their time in getting on the scoresheet. It was great to see Jamie Carragher score his 3rd goal of his career. The joy on his face was something to behold and he, more than anyone, deserves moments like these. The kop adored accordingly.

Indeed, with Carra's lack of scoring when coming up to the box I had always been questioning why he even bothers to come up for corners as although he had been close on numerous occasions more often than not it was a case of 'what if'. Hyppia on that facet has had more success although not a lot more and much less than a Carvalho.

Liverpool played 4-4-2:

Reina
    -- Finnan - Carra - Agger - Riise --
    Pennant - Alonso - Gerrard - Garcia
    Bellamy ---- Kuijt

The first penalty was clear. The defender put his arms up on purpose and tried to get away with it. Indeed there were valid calls for several before that and a penalty was deserved. Gerrard's spot kick was saved though by the Fulham keeper who was having a good game I thought, but the rebound went straight to Stevie who couldnt miss.

Fulham had played an open style of defence which allowed Liverpool a lot of posession and they had the ability to create quite a few dangerous chances. However, they seemed to lack the killer finish, a final pass or two but it was really just a matter of time as opportunities kept coming.

Carra's goal was the 2nd one, he found himself unmarked at the far post 6 yard box and running onto a headed-on corner and he just lashed it in with aplomb.

The third was a good one, a strong header from Garcia near to the edge of the box as he characteristicly drifted into the danger area and found himself unmarked. A good finish.

Good to see Gonzalez back and on the scoresheet for the 4th. He curled a free kick in with his left foot, and this is an option that Liverpool lack in their weapons, a good free-kick taker. Whether that would justify Gonzalex being picked every week though is another story. But there is lack of capability for free-kicks when it comes to the like of Gerrard and Riise. I wish Alonso would practice free's and take this on as part of his repetoire.

By that stage of the game, Crouch and Fowler had been given a good run out as Rafa rested some players.

What to take from the game:
    - Liverpool 4-4-2 with Gerrard in the centre with Alonso, a good shape
    - Agger in the back did a safe-ish job
    - Bellamy and Kuijt didnt link up that well together, failing to pass to each other well or others steaming through (eg: Gerrard).

Overall, a good result on the steady march to 3rd/4th.

In terms of Pennant, whilst he has his moments, I think he is too light and not up to Liverpool's standard. He is not physically strong enough to be coming into the box and getting into dangerous areas, ala Garcia. He had one clear opportunity to do so in the game but backed off from the challenge. He does reasonably well at tracking back though, but I'm not convinced overall and in a way perhaps he is too similar to Gonzalez, even though they play on different sides.

In terms of the January transfer window though, Dubai money or not, I'm not sure what players if any Rafa will get. Lets hope not another defender or a goalie! If I was him, I'd go for a right winger/midfielder.

Question: if you had to select one position on the field to bolster at the Jan window, which one would it be?

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

redspider wrote:

Question: if you had to select one position on the field to bolster at the Jan window, which one would it be?

Redspider

That's a good question. A few weeks ago, I would have said up front. But Bellamy has really started to play well. I think someone in the Garcia mould - only consistenly good. Someone who could play behind the forward(s) or on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I'd take a Gary Macalister right now. Someone to lend a steady hand and a bit of tactical nous to the team when things aren't going completely to plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

I'd say a solid left back if they were easier to come by otherwise just better wingers on either side. I think Pennant and Gonzalez are adequate cover to beat most teams but against the heavies we need a little more.

Hopefully we'll go on a nice long run of victories, nice to see a healthier goal difference too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Left or Right wing. Garcia and Riise can do a job, but they dont quite have that cutting edge.

Ideally id go for a good very attacking right winger, of the lennon or ronaldo (without the diving) mould. Only if the right player was available though, would prefer noone then just another backup as the squad is big enough. Wouldnt mind seeing Lucas Neil come in alright to shore up the back a little.

Just noticed something very strange a few minutes ago, on skysports.com. Was a fairly typical interview with Carra, till i spotted this;
    "The most important thing is to win trophies, not just have local lads on the pitch," Carragher said in The Sun's 'supergoals' section.

Id imagine its just a mistake or something, would very much doubt carra would actually have given an interview to them.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=434431&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=&title=Carragher:+Success+important

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PiE wrote:
    I'd take a Gary Macalister right now. Someone to lend a steady hand and a bit of tactical nous to the team when things aren't going completely to plan.

I'd say we need a level headed German for that role, oh wait...........

Incidentally, what was the point of Letting Hamman go? He's not exactly a first team regualr at City and would have been the perfect player to have now.

Hamann was'nt let go so much as he wanted first team in his last season or two. It was his decision - that said maybe Rafa could and should have done more to keep him.

As for Red Spiders poser, can we get Kevin Nolan? ;)

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Hamann was'nt let go so much as he wanted first team in his last season or two. It was his decision - that said maybe Rafa could and should have done more to keep him..

Yeah I was kind of alluding to that. I always thought he should have been used a lot more in the last couple of seasons. Instead of being more or less disgarded for Sissoko who had/has a lot to learn.

redspider wrote:

Ricardo Quaresma of Porto. Can play left or right side of midfield. He's having a great season and wiped the floor with Arsenal last week. Looks like he's off to Athletico Madrid though and as he's played in Europe he wouldn't be eligible for the rest of the champions league.

For the rest of the team, We could do with left and right backs though to replace Kromkamp, and back up Riise since Warnock and Aurelio are so injury prone. Ideally I'd like Micah Richards, but he'll probably go to Chelsea if he leaves City, so I'd go for Greg Halford instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The two most exposed positions are right back and the left wing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Haven't seen much of Quaresma but he didn't do much at Barca when he was there. I know that he was young and didn't get much play at the time but I've heard that he is very inconsistant, great one game and appaling the next.

The two most exposed positions are right back and the left wing imo.

I fthink Riise might be better employed on the left wing with a solid left full behind him in the mould of Finnan, someone not so attacking minded but a solid tough tackling left full in the old style. Riise can be quite weak defensivly and is prone to concentration lapses. He isgood going forward and would be able to back up the left full. As a short-medium term solution
    it might be worth a go.

When fit, I think the left sided partnership of Warnock/Riise should be tried out a bit more, assuming another left ful lisnt bought in January.Garcia is too light and prone to an exaggerated form of Robbie Keanes patchy form.

Finnans form my well be down to having less protection this season than last with Gerrard playing in front of him.Either way, he seems to be livening up as the season goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Stekelly wrote:
    When fit, I think the left sided partnership of Warnock/Riise should be tried out a bit more, assuming another left ful lisnt bought in January.
    Warnock is not good enough, end of story. He's very prone to lapses, is a shocking tackler and hardly blessed with pace, particularly for a full back.

He's almost 25 too so he's hardly going to improve much.

Warnock is not good enough, end of story. He's very prone to lapses, is a shocking tackler and hardly blessed with pace, particularly for a full back.

He's almost 25 too so he's hardly going to improve much.

i think your being very harsh on him. He's done well in the chances he got this season and last. Not criticising you but you seem to have a dislike for him that isnt going to change regardless of how he does (I have irrational dislike towards certain players aswell).

His tackling is 100% commited, he doesnt tend to do it by half measures. He's more of a stand, block and tackle defender than the marauding type of bombing forward fullbacks favoured nowadays which is why I think he would do ok partnered with a more defensive minded left sided player (Riise) in front of him that will not leave him as exposed as the likes of Garcia, and why pace isnt all that important for that position. Finnan and Carra arnt exactly 100 metre sprinters either, not to mention Hyypia when he plays. Plus I did say that this was workign off the current squad and would be different with a new left full/ left winger signed next month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Warnock isnt good enough. He'll be gone in the summer.

Stekelly wrote:
    i think your being very harsh on him. He's done well in the chances he got this season and last. Not criticising you but you seem to have a dislike for him that isnt going to change regardless of how he does (I have irrational dislike towards certain players aswell).
    I hardly have a irrational dislike for him! I outlined why I don't think he is good enough for where Liverpool want to go. He is a honest, hard working player, I respect him for that, but I just don't think he is good enough.
    Stekelly wrote:
    His tackling is 100% commited, he doesnt tend to do it by half measures.
    I agree, and that is his problem. Committed does not equate to effective. He can be very rash in the tackle. And commits very easily because of his "gung-ho" mentality. He tries too hard to make up his lack of ability with pure commitment.
    Stekelly wrote:
    He's more of a stand, block and tackle defender than the marauding type of bombing forward fullbacks favoured nowadays which is why I think he would do ok partnered with a more defensive minded left sided player (Riise) in front of him that will not leave him as exposed as the likes of Garcia
    Surely if he offers little going forward then he would be the ideal partner for a Garcia? As he doesn't need the extra support because he doesn't get caught out himself?
    Stekelly wrote:
    and why pace isnt all that important for that position. Finnan and Carra arnt exactly 100 metre sprinters either, not to mention Hyypia when he plays.
    Exactly, without Riise in the back line, it lacks genuine pace.

Pace is very important for a full back IMO, in order for them to get forward (and then back) and if they need to cover their centre halves, which Liverpools do quite a bit.
    Stekelly wrote:
    Plus I did say that this was workign off the current squad and would be different with a new left full/ left winger signed next month.
    Well to be honest I'd rather see Auerilo in the team to give him time to settle or even Agger at left back, if he is not starting in the centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Its a myth that Riise is poorer defensively than Warnock. I think he has a wonderful understanding with Finnan / Carra / Hyypia and that unit works very well together - knowing both when to move up to catch players offside and when to defend deep agaisnt fast attackers.

Warnock, I think, just makes the rest of the unit less settled and confusion usually ensues. It doesn't help that he appears prone to panicing on the ball.

(Ive seen stats somewhere which shows that Riise made less mistakes that led to goals conceded than any other 'Pool defender in the 05/06 season - I must look that up again)

Its also great to see, slowly but surely, Agger gelling into the defence in Hyypias place.
    Its also great to

Waster wrote:
    Haven't seen much of Quaresma but he didn't do much at Barca when he was there. I know that he was young and didn't get much play at the time but I've heard that he is very inconsistant, great one game and appaling the next.

Well he was only 20 when he went to Barca, so he was very young. He only stayed a year as well. Simao Sabrosa didn't do much at Barca either, and we were willing to pay over 10m for him about a year ago, and he's 26/27 whereas Quaresma is only just gone 23.

I'm not an expert in the Portugeuse league, but anytime I've seen him play he's been excellent, and as he was voted the portugeuse player of the year, I'd imagine he's become pretty consistent. Its a weaker league to the english league, but I still think he's class.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=odV9sCIhMzU&mode=related&search=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

warnock isnt up to par at all for liverpool as i've harped on about constantly here, he should have been sacrificed as part of the deal to bring in lucas neil at the transfer deadline...his level of involement shows his worth to the team.

in terms of redspiders question...

finnan is in dire need of competition, carragher is the only real other right back option, if theres investment in the club i'd love to see dani alves signed, he's an excellent player, and he's improving even more after last season.

i'd also like to see a good versitile player signed, someone who could play in defence and maybe as a defencive midfielder, just someone who could fill in when theres an injury or when theres a playing in need of a break. fernando meira would be a good signing imo

el rabitos wrote:
    warnock isnt up to par at all for liverpool as i've harped on about constantly here, he should have been sacrificed as part of the deal to bring in lucas neil at the transfer deadline...his level of involement shows his worth to the team.

in terms of redspiders question...

finnan is in dire need of competition, carragher is the only real other right back option, if theres investment in the club i'd love to see dani alves signed, he's an excellent player, and he's improving even more after last season.

i'd also like to see a good versitile player signed, someone who could play in defence and maybe as a defencive midfielder, just someone who could fill in when theres an injury or when theres a playing in need of a break. fernando meira would be a good signing imo
    I think the answer to your question was in your post, and I think you could even be right in how you said a deal could be brokered.

Warnock in part-exchange for Neill in January or the Summer. Neill can play anywhere across the back, and probably could even do a job as a holding midfielder, Warnock has the battling qualities (and lack of ability ;) ) that would endear Mark Hughes and the Blackburn team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Waster wrote:
    Riquelme didn't make it at Barca either so I wouldn't take anything from that.

Warnock in part-exchange for Neill in January or the Summer. Neill can play anywhere across the back, and probably could even do a job as a holding midfielder, Warnock has the battling qualities (and lack of ability ;) ) that would endear Mark Hughes and the Blackburn team.

Lucas Neill though... Come on.. People talk about Pennant not being Liverpool class. Well if he isn't then Neill definetly isn't. He's a hatchet man, and not a very good hatchet man at that. It was alright in the summer when we needed someone and had spent the budget on others so we needed someone cheap. With the takeover we should have a bigger budget, and so shouldn't have to buying from the bargain basement bin.

I'd get a decent young replacement right back (or else persist-with and promote Peltier & Darby), keep warnock and aurelio till the summer, and hope Insua starts to breaks through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Stky10 wrote:
    Lucas Neill though... Come on.. People talk about Pennant not being Liverpool class. Well if he isn't then Neill definetly isn't. He's a hatchet man, and not a very good hatchet man at that.

I don't think you're giving him nearly enough credit. He's a far better player than just a "hatchet man".

http://www.smh.com.au/news/aussie-update/neill-good-enough-for-barca-neeskens/2006/06/21/1150845244340.html

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I don't think you're giving him nearly enough credit. He's a far better player than just a "hatchet man".

http://www.smh.com.au/news/aussie-update/neill-good-enough-for-barca-neeskens/2006/06/21/1150845244340.html

I'd take that with a pinch of salt. If he was so good, why isnt he at Barce now?Big clubs arnt exactly tripping over themselves to sign him. Liverpool dont look to have any competition for him at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Chelsea, Newcastle and Barcelona are all apparently interested in him.

http://www.blackburncitizen.co.uk/display.var.1045625.0..php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i think he'd be a good signing. Hes just as good as the fella chelsea signed for cover(boularohez, shocking spelling of it i know). Same with Silvestre at United.

He probaly wont be a regular, but he'd be a much better opition to have as cover for finnan compared to what we have now.

Yeah, there would be a few players alright that would have their agents try to spread the rumour that they're off to Barca

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Mills

He's third rate. You can argue about his merits all night long if you want, but put him up against world class players and he'll easily be found out. And for someone who turns 29 in March its a huge waste of money.

Stky10 wrote:
    Yeah, there would be a few players alright that would have their agents try to spread the rumour that they're off to Barca

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Mills

He's third rate. You can argue about his merits all night long if you want, but put him up against world class players and he'll easily be found out. And for someone who turns 29 in March its a huge waste of money.
    Hardly. He is a consistent performer that would add a huge amount of versitility and grit to not the most aggressive of backlines.

Not world class by any means but considering he is out of contract in the Summer, and he would probably be available for about £1M, it's not a "huge waste of money".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I am not a big Warnock fan atall. Riise is a very decent defender. You could argue that he is slightly more comfortable in midfield - but he is clearly a better option than Warnock at left - back.

I would give Aurellio more games and sell Warnock at the next opportunity. As mentioned earlier, he is 25 and won't improve much more from where he is now.

Hardly. He is a consistent performer that would add a huge amount of versitility and grit to not the most aggressive of backlines.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this. I think he's crap and a hacker and his number of yellow/red cards back this up, as do the record of clubs he's played for.. Millwall and Blackeye Rovers

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=5084&cc=5739
    Not world class by any means but considering he is out of contract in the Summer, and he would probably be available for about £1M, it's not a "huge waste of money".

Yes, but as a bosman or reduced fee player, he'd be seeking higher wages than would normally be due. So lets say 40,000 a week for three years comes to over 6 million. So are you suggesting we spend this money on a reserve, or are you suggesting we try and win the league and CL with this liability as a starter?

Stky10 wrote:
    We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this. I think he's crap and a hacker and his number of yellow/red cards back this up, as do the record of clubs he's played for.. Millwall and Blackeye Rovers
    Yellow and red cards don't make him "crap and a hacker". Wayne Rooney and Roy Keane are/were noted for the frequency on which they pick up cards, yet I'd still welcome either with open arms to Liverpool.

Neill is aggressive which means he picks up more cards than most. Aggression is a quality lacking throughout the Liverpool team, particularly with Sissoko out. Those are the qualities that win you those mid-week games at Bolton and Blackburn, the types that traditionally this Liverpool team has struggled in.
    Stky10 wrote:
    Yes, but as a bosman or reduced fee player, he'd be seeking higher wages than would normally be due. So lets say 40,000 a week for three years comes to over 6 million. So are you suggesting we spend this money on a reserve, or are you suggesting we try and win the league and CL with this liability as a starter?
    Well you are speculating as to his wages, there is a reasonably strong wage structure at Liverpool and I wouldn't say that Neill would get as much as £40K.

At whatever price he would be, it would be a good piece of business. To be honest I'd trust Rafa Benitez's and Johan Neeskens' (not to mention my own) judgement over your own, seeing as you are prepared to judge a player on the number of cards he has got in his career and the clubs he has played for and what appears to be little else..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Neill is a very good defener I think, if you want one proof of this, it's the fact that Barca are interested in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Werent Barca once interested in Gary Breen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

that was inter milan :)

i doubt barcelona are interested, could be agent talk

is rafa unable to pick a decent right back?

josemi, kronkamp, now neill.
    he should buy a promising youngster if he wants one, let him learn from finnan for a few years then take over

event wrote:
    i doubt barcelona are interested, could be agent talk

is rafa unable to pick a decent right back?

josemi, kronkamp, now neill.
    he should buy a promising youngster if he wants one, let him learn from finnan for a few years then take over
    Frank Rjikaard's assistant is a known admirer of Neill. So it's not all agent talk.

Josemi had problems settling in England to do with the language and his family. Kronkamp was solid if unspectacular, but hardly a failure in his breif stint at Liverpool. Neill has been solid for the last four years at Premiership and European level. So I don't see your point?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement