Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Something tells me that's Garcia's usual attire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think Xabi is meant to be Mr Incredible, under the jacket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Fowlers is great.

I wonder did Kuyt go as superman in reference to the goonies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rofles! :D

Where's Rafa?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

lol at Fowler - our new prospective ownser are Arabs - now who could I dress as to most p!ss them off!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

bit off topic. Is there any pool supporter clubs in munster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sunn wrote:

Evenign Hearld used to list supporters clubs by club and locality.... Not sure if they still do.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They're great. Robbie is a total legend on and off the pitch.:)

you'd think Kewell would be too busy trying to recover and play some actuall football to go on the piss.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Starting XI: Reina, Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Riise, Pennant, Gerrard, Alonso, Gonzalez, Kuyt, Bellamy.

Subs: Dudek, Agger, Aurelio, Crouch, Garcia.

Looks pretty much like last weeks iirc with the exception of Hypia starting instead of Agger.

Should be another 3 points.. Won't get to see it unfortunately. What odds for another 0-4 I wonder :D

• Advertisement

Should be 4-4-2.

and 4+4+2 goals! ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Sunn wrote:

Me.

But then again, I 'm FROM Leinster ;)

Great Xmas Party pics, btw. Bit worried about Pepe. Nice swipe by Harry. Didn't he used to play for us?

mike65 wrote:
    Should be 4-4-2.

and 4+4+2 goals! ;)

Mike.

4+4+3 ;)

Pepe to play as a third striker.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

So is SWP available at christmas do you think. He would be a reasonable addition though Pennant has been looking quite good of late.

No reason not to chuck a 5m offer on the table for some of the stupid transfers that have been accepted of late (Mascherano, Tevez, Duff) etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

> So is SWP available at christmas do you think. He would be a reasonable addition

There's no way that Chelsea will sell any half decent player to Liverpool. SWP is not quite surplus to requirements at Chelsea. He has been given a few run outs of late and has scored, and they will also need him in case Robben gets injured. Their 4-4-2 system with Shevcenko and Drogba up front isnt their only formation and they revert to 4-3-3 regularly.

> though Pennant has been looking quite good of late.

I think Pennant is passable but not the quality that we should be aiming for. I'd prefer to see a 10-20m spend on someone rather than 3x 5m.

redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

Agree with that. Think that Pennant may have the talent but I don't think that he has the mentatlity to make it at a big club. Hope he proves me wrong. If not then I would like us to spend a few quid in the summer on someone like Ribery, a great talent who can play on both wings. What we lack at the moment is a top cless winger to break down stubborn defences.

Agree about SWP, he's more likely to get loaned to Man Cty!

Pennant is getting better, I think Rafa will need to persevere while keeping
    Gerrard in the middle for as long as possible (unfortunatly he is bound to start tinkering when Momo is fit).

Mike.

Rick Parry is on the Times' TheGame podcast tomorrow from 5pm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,31329,00.html

• Advertisement

Cheers for that link Dr.Nick, be great to hear what Parry has to say on the foreign takeovers, and hopefully what stage the Pool takeover is at.

On another note;

MY 1000th POST!! YAY! I'd like to thank my parents, my grandmother, the soccer forum, and God. (the man upstairs or Fowler, take your pick)

Figured this was the apt place for it, since 165 of my posts are on the Liverpool thread alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Good to see the lads finally playing well. 11-0 in the league in the three games in December. Great stuff. Pity its taken this long for the likes of Gerrard and Carragher to get over their world cup hangover, and for the new lads to bed in. Sissoko will improve us when he gets back, and Gerrard will still play well on the right, just like he did last season - so long as he doesnt get all stroppy about it because the media dont like it. I doubt there's anyone who'd be available in Jan who I'd want to sign.

Still, 91 points should just about win the league :D

Be interesting to see what team is picked for Arsenal. Personally I'd like to see Alonso and Gerrard both benched as we can't afford injuries to either of those until Sissoko is back - although there isnt a whole lot of options! (although that proves my point). Plus I'd like to see Fowler keep the captaincy for all Carling Cup games.

I'd go:
    Dudek
    Peltier - Agger - Paletta - Aurelio
    Garcia - Guthrie - Carra or Hyypia - Riise
    Fowler - Crouch

I think that'd still beat the Arsenal second XI, but maybe Rafa will prioritise the game more than I would!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

The game podcast is decent enough but the guardian podcast with James Richardson is better in my view. Parry always comes accross well on the radio. He is often on Sportsweek on BBC fivelive.
    Arsenal squad looks quite young and raw for tomorrow night. I think that we can afford to rest a few and still win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

mike65 wrote:
    Rafa will need to persevere while keeping Gerrard in the middle for as long as possible (unfortunatly he is bound to start tinkering when Momo is fit).

Yeah, I'm worried about what Rafa will do when Sissoko is fit again. When only Gerrard and Alonso are available, the team picks itself, more or less. And its stable for other tactical options, a real backbone. I like it like that and 4-4-2 is the most effective approach we have with our personnel.

I dont want any player to remain injured longer than normal, but ..........

hmmmmm

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think Sissoko should be used in rotation with Alonso and Gerrard, not alongside - and I reckon this is a role he'd be happy with, considering his age. There's no point in playing all 3 week-in, week-out, especially when it means the team losing a lot of shape.

This hinges on someone capable of taking on Gerrard's share of attacking when he's out of the team though...

How come last monh everybody was justifying losing 4 away games by saying that they were against Utd,Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton, yet beating a few average teams in a row now means we're "back on track"? At the end of the day, it shouldnt be acceptable to lose to the other top end teams and while losing to maybe 2 of th eabove 4 in a season away could be passed off, losing to all 4 is unacceptable.

• Advertisement

We are gathering solice when we can! ;)

I agree with the point though, no more slip ups from now on.

Mike.

About the League Cup match (tomorrow), I think Rafa will go with as strong a team as he dare field (bearing in mind injury potential).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Expecting a team along the lines of:

Dudek
    Peltier --- Paletta --- Agger --- Riise
    Pennant --- Alonso/Gerrard -- Guthrie --- Aurelio
    Crouch --- Fowler

Maybe Finnan/Anderson on the right instead of Peltier/Pennant

With the likes of Carra, Alonso/Gerrard, Kuyt, Garcia on the bench.

Certainly a very diff team to that which played at the weekend but sill a very capable team - esp. given Arsenal's current injury list.

Id really love to see Anderson get at least a half hour tonight. He has to get blooded sooner or later.

alas not gonna get our fix tonight i guess.

When is the next round due for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

10th Jan semi finals

Liverpool are fecked (as are Arsenal) the only time to play the quater is the night of the semis! Unless the game is played almost back-to-back with the FA Cup match.

Mike.

or 2moro nite which they have already said wont happen, a clear example of sky running english football yet again

dcarroll wrote:
    or 2moro nite which they have already said wont happen, a clear example of sky running english football yet again

Eh, no its not. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

mike65 wrote:
    Liverpool are fecked (as are Arsenal) the only time to play the quater is the night of the semis! Unless the game is played almost back-to-back with the FA Cup match.

Mike.
    They could just make the FA Cup game an FA Cup/Carling Cup game, winner goes through to the last 16 of the FA Cup and semi's of the Carling Cup :)

so its nothing to do with newcastle v chelsea being live on sky tomorrow?

dcarroll wrote:
    so its nothing to do with newcastle v chelsea being live on sky tomorrow?

No, see Mikes post in the Carling Cup thread.

on that point how can an fa cup match be drawn on a sunday and replayed the following tues/wed?

Because the replay takes place at another ground (other teams) and its flagged as a possibility when the ties are first announced.

Mike.

dcarroll wrote:
    on that point how can an fa cup match be drawn on a sunday and replayed the following tues/wed?

Id say the replay's are probably planned in advance, in the off-chance that the teams draw.

No replays in the League Cup though.

• Advertisement

Match to be played on Jan 9th! Thats 3 days after the FA Cup game.

Mke.

So what happens if the fa cup game goes to a replay?

The Carling cup final could end up being in May.:)

Someone calulated Liverpool could play Arsenal 3 times in 8 days* if the FA Cup game needs a replay.

Mike.

* not sure how that was arrived at.

If the fa cup game goes to a replay, will it not have to be played on the tues or wed after the first game? ie on the day the cc 1/4 is supposed to be on? when will the cc game be shoved back till?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think Utd. played blackburn 3 times in a week last year (carling and league), though there may have been another match in between. Arsenal did play Middlesbrough 3 in a row similarly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Stekelly wrote:
    If the fa cup game goes to a replay, will it not have to be played on the tues or wed after the first game? ie on the day the cc 1/4 is supposed to be on? when will the cc game be shoved back till?

Don't think so.

FA Cup replays are usually about 10 days after the original tie, i.e. week beginning 15th Jan.

Sequence would be:

Jan 6th FA Cup
    Jan 9th CC QF
    Jan 17th CC SF Leg 1
    Jan 24th CC SF Leg 2

The usual date for an FA Cup replay would be the 16/17th, but I can see them putting the FA Cup replay back until the weekend of the 4th round ties (which has happened before, maybe not in these circumstances)

my memory is a bit fuzzy, but i seem to recall liverpool playing arsenal loads as well in either the season Pool did the treble or the one before/after it. Was a few games spaced in between but it seemed to keep cropping up. Could be that my memory is broken though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Florent Sinama Pongolle on the mark again for Recreativo last night. Scored the opener in the Bernabeu (left Cannavaro on his hole) as they beat Real Madrid 3-0.

Stephen Warnock made his comeback from injury last night playing 45 minutes, as the Reserves lose (yet again).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

At the game in Madrid, Sinama-Pongolle opened the scoring when he held off Fabio Cannavaro before firing past goalkeeper Iker Casillas.
    Gotta wonder who of our current strikers could manage that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PiE wrote:
    Gotta wonder who of our current strikers could manage that!

Well he certainly couldn't do it in the ****ing premiership anyway..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement